Autopsy Round 16: St Kilda defeat Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Win was there for the taking. Crucial misses followed by coast to coast goals to the Saints was the difference in the end. Few positives with the hb line.

Frost never to kick out....ever.
Season in the magoos for Morris. Morrison is not going to make it. Done.

The last few weeks, Cousins has shown some pace and creative disposal (his kick into the middle to set up a goal in yhe last was exceptional) which makes me think he can be a long term player.

Greaves was excellent on debut. Thought he gave us more than Hardwick has in that role in the last few weeks.

Scully looked like the GWS version for the first time all year - hoping longer games next year will see more of this, but it was his work in tight that I was impressed with too - miles better than the beginning of the year.

Scrimshaw and Day continue to be shining lights.

On the downside, I am officially worried about Tom Mitchell. Giving his all and his link up efforts are first rate, even used the ball better this week (not including his one obligatory loopy handball to turn the ball over)...BUT, his explosiveness quick twitch reactions around stoppages seem gone. Hoping he just needs a rest?
I think TOM will be fine after another preseason. I think we all expected it might take some time for him to regain his form. That was quite a significant injury.

Win was there for the taking. Crucial misses followed by coast to coast goals to the Saints was the difference in the end. Few positives with the hb line.

Frost never to kick out....ever.
Season in the magoos for Morris. Morrison is not going to make it. Done.
Frost was a bit down today but has been good all year

also how are them make up free kicks in the last 2 mins of the game when it's sealed? love your work umps!!!!

Yup it looked that way. Was 3-3 for frees close to quarter time, then except for the freebies given in the last few minutes after we couldn't win , we had 2 more frees for the game. Mind you the way we tackle, I'm not really surprised we get so few HTB decisions. We never seem to get our own arms free in a tackle for a legal disposal, but the opposition always seem to manage it. Then the few HTB decisions we should get don't get paid. Hard to watch, but a 5 goal turnaround on our 19 point lead in the first quarter is harder to watch.

Anyway, losses like this shouldn't damage our confidence going into next year too much, important player down, second 5 day break in a row, 7 changes etc.
Of the 8 teams named so far this round, we've been the youngest. Would have preferred the win, but keeping ourselves well positioned for draft order is a nice consolation prize.

Lewis showing glimpses again of what we saw at the end of last season. Finally get some confidence back in his body after the should op?

Greaves showed something.

Scrimshaw's confidence is sky rocketing. Hard to fathom how good he'll be when he gets to 100 games.

Day good again.

You mix these younger guys in with the mid age players like Wingard, Sicily, O'Meara, Mitchell and I reckon we have something to work with for next year. Add a bunch of games at the MCG with a home crowd cheering the boys on, no endless confidence sapping, away from home situation, and some enthusiasm from the kids we hopefully keep in the side in exchange for players like Stratton next year, and we could easily play finals again quickly. Sure, we still have
gaps in the list, but who doesn't, and I reckon part of the issue this year has been putting too much faith at the selection table in guys that are cooked. Will be interesting to see who comes back for goodbye games in the last round against GC.

I think TOM will be fine after another preseason. I think we all expected it might take some time for him to regain his form. That was quite a significant injury.
I really hope so. He's still contributing and is unbelievable at reading the play and accumulating - but we need 2018 TOM going forward.

Whoever commented on Chad looking lazy must have been watching some of his old Port games.
He'll be even better next season after this season in the Brown and Gold.

I don't think I've seen him lazy all year. I've seen him trying too hard if anything. I think people get confused when they watch players that are so skilful everything looks easy to them. For *s sake, he's spent a lot of time playing forward in a side with one of the worst performing midfields in the competition delivering it to him. Also not immune to confidence fluctuations, just like the rest of the side, but have never seen signs of what I'd call lazy, at least not on the broadcasts I've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have won that no doubt great signs with the younger guys. Don’t get me wrong I like Cousins but think he will be put up this trade period (ie Sydney) as he is similar to Jaeger Titch and Worps. Maginnes in wings along with 1st round pick. Hopefully his price is going up. If he stays all good as well

Bar Worps injury an almost perfect result for us .

Competitive , some very good play with mistakes mixed in . Far prefer this than the 'safety first' game style.

Greaves has something about him . Looks a tough competitive player and nice ball user.
Our young brigade arent that bad , they just need games .
Add top end talent this draft and probably next and we are a decent unit in 18-24 months .

I hate making excuses in sport but im giving the guys an out for today .
Totally get this seasons scenerio and short breaks , but not copping having 2 short breaks playing sides coming off byes (or long breaks ) in back to back games.
Was rubbish and is simple unfair .

Lots to like about the game. Agree with a lot of the above on Greaves and Hardwicke etc.

Cegs had a good game.

I’m not sure what to make of CJ. Hopefully his decision making gets better as he learns our running patterns etc.

Please play Finn next week.

If Greaves can hold down a spot as a half back flanker, Hardwick can play forward or Day moves onto the wing.

I was going to ask the same question? Dimma has done his time down back, been interested to see how he would go as a small fwd for a stretch of games??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back