Autopsy Round 16: St Kilda defeat Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Fairly happy with the result clarko is definatly trying a few things some things i have noticed.
-Greaves down back and Hardwick up fwd was a tick for me. i liked him in the pre season.
-Cousins is getting a real chance to show his worth, i wouldn't be surprised if Jom has been held back on purpose for this reason tick for me.
-Wingard up around the ball more he plays better, is struggling to be a impact fwd with the set-up not right yet.
Lewis- had a almost game this preseason shoulder injury and continuity has affected his game. But that big pack mark gives me hope a big preseason will have him back on track.
Ceglar - unsure his the #1 ruck to move fwd, it's good to see him play without Mcevoy to assess properly.

Howe,Morrison - it will be a line ball decision if they are on the list next season. Fumbles, and slow decision makers.

Last edited:
Greaves was terrific. Lock him in on the HBF for the next 200 games.
Scrimshaw better each week.
TOB best game of the season.
CJ is a long was off but worth persevering with.
Wingard sloppy game
Cousins holding his spot very solid.
Morris is a long way off. Would benefit from a season in the VFL.
Howe. Just does not get involved enough.
Gunston needs to be our next captain.
Morrison is the purely depth.
Frost is the new Frawley. Quick, good defensively but erratic.
Ceglar had his best game for a while.
Bruest is tanking.
Lewis is a confidence player. Needs to be in the team round 1 next season.
Overall a decent day watching the footy.

Could have won that no doubt great signs with the younger guys. Don’t get me wrong I like Cousins but think he will be put up this trade period (ie Sydney) as he is similar to Jaeger Titch and Worps. Maginnes in wings along with 1st round pick. Hopefully his price is going up. If he stays all good as well
Will be a shame if hes traded.
Will be a very handy mid.
Because a Full Back with 3-4 inches reach & the ability hold/scrag, as well as being helped out by other defenders, will Ruin Sicily’s game.
If this gorilla is playing on Sicily then it will mean a lesser defender on Paton, Lewis and Gunston and hopefully a spud on Bruest.

Howe,Morrison - it will be a line ball decision if they are on the list next season. Fumbles, and slow decision makers.

I've thought the same thing about Howe before too, but he's barely played this year, and in the past I've liked him better after seeing him improve with a block of games into him, so I'd not be axing him yet. Shiels was ok on the weekend, but has been poor most of the year, if he's close to cooked I'd keep Howe, although we have other coverage for Shiels, such as Cousins, so it wouldn't be a disaster to delist.

Greaves was terrific. Lock him in on the HBF for the next 200 games.
Scrimshaw better each week.
TOB best game of the season.
CJ is a long was off but worth persevering with.
Wingard sloppy game
Cousins holding his spot very solid.
Morris is a long way off. Would benefit from a season in the VFL.
Howe. Just does not get involved enough.
Gunston needs to be our next captain.
Morrison is the purely depth.
Frost is the new Frawley. Quick, good defensively but erratic.
Ceglar had his best game for a while.
Bruest is tanking.
Lewis is a confidence player. Needs to be in the team round 1 next season.
Overall a decent day watching the footy.
I also thought Breust was tanking. That kick into the man on the mark. Never seen him do that in 12 years.

There was a great one in the last, where Chad was out positioned, tracked his opponent perfectly until he collected the ball, then smashed him. Was brilliant.
That was just him being a faux tough guy. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality. Says a lot about the comradeship during a tough season.
NO we have to HATE everyone on the field not in our colours, I am SICK of us and other teams being NICE to eachother, back in my day if I took a mark and the other team touched me on the head I'd be shanking them in the carpark!
Game has gone SOFT!!!!
/s

I rate those 45° caleb daniel-style kicks into the guts that Cousins bites off. More often than not he hits the target too. As much as I love JOM, Mitch and Worps that kick isn't really part of their repertoire.
More generally I really liked our willingness to give the first handball wherever possible. Gave us so many more 1 v 1 options going inside 50

Great effort Hawks. They had a longer break and we had two injured players (Worpel & Morris). We kept fighting and it was only our execution that let us down. This was the textbook definition of an honourable loss.
And we went into our shells in the middle of the game. We were always likely to lose, so better to go down by 6-7 goals trying to attack than play safe.

Cousins was very good again. He puts himself in the right spots to win the ball and find plenty of space, but he still rushes his possessions even though he has more time than he thinks. If he can just work on that part of his game and his finishing ability when kicking for goal Cousins will be best 22 next year.
We should just keep playing him. I can see him developing into a Shiels / McCabe hybrid. Solid, and dependable without being a superstar. He's got the body for league footy too.

Sorry to say that Hanrahan and Morrison have had their chances and that should be it for them. Hate to say that about players, because this is their job. Their livelihood, but they just don't offer anything. I prefer Morris and Moore already.

Was a strange game from Chad. Lazy not the right word.

Was playing angry and looking to smash blokes in tackles. But a fair few was due to him being second to ball and sitting off so could land a faux tough guy tackle. Hard to see his workrate off the ball from the tv so can’t really comment on it.

But he absolutely butchered the ball for most of the game - and not really under pressure. In one passage in the 3rd? stuffed up three times basic passes in a row.

53% DE (when even worpel, shiels and Mitchell are at 94, 88 and 74%) is a concern as he’s meant to be the class ball user. His disposal has been off for most of the season.

Not sure if he’s trying too hard or lacking concentration or just in bad form but it’s not really happening at present.
I have thought the same during every game regarding his DE. It has been shithouse and he is playing to cute.
I rate Chad very highly but wtf is going on with his kicking and hand all skills?
For what we recruited Chad for, and it wasn’t to play in the forward pocket, his skill is far from what was expected from me. He use to torch us! Perhaps we need note of the angry Chad to bring out the best of him.

Chad Wingard (HAW) 6

Sebastian Ross (STK) 5

Rowan Marshall (STK) 5

Nick Coffield (STK) 4

Jack Steele (STK) 3

Bradley Hill (STK) 3

Tom Mitchell (HAW) 2

Ben Long (STK) 2

Is that the coaches votes? Jeez that's the farthest from a consensus I've seen between two coaches in a long time.

Will be a shame if hes traded.
Will be a very handy mid.

If this gorilla is playing on Sicily then it will mean a lesser defender on Paton, Lewis and Gunston and hopefully a spud on Bruest.
So your forwardline is playing Sicily as a marking forward, in the same 50m arc as Patton, Lewis & Gunston?

Or are you sacrificing Sicily so that Gunston gets a lesser opponent?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back