Autopsy Round 16: St Kilda defeat Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what we were all asking for last week. A week later is better than nothing ;)

Good to see the young guys having a crack. The energy of the team was heaps better from the first bounce.

Really good first game from Greaves. He didn't look out of his depth at all and is a really nice kick of the footy.

Scrimshaw and Day were good again and keep improving.

Lewis didn't have his best game but he was better than last week and did a few things to build his confidence which hopefully he can build on.

I thought Scully had his best game for a while.

Moore and CJ both did a few nice things but would like to see them involved a bit more.

Morris and Morrison were probably the only two of the young guys that I thought looked a little out of their depth.

Great to see the effort today, particularly with some good signs for the future.

Really impressed with Worpel, Cuz and Mitchel - they again seem to show signs of gelling in the middle.

Also thought Lewis and Gunner demonstrated they could be good forward combo if given the chance.

We are in need of some fresh faces on the outside though. Both Harry and Scully had moments they’d like again. Hopefully Finn in for one of them next week.

Would also like to see Hartley/Kosi get a run in the back line next week.

lastly good to see Clarko experiment with positions today.

Had a crack. Ins showed a bit. Young blokes showed a bit. Lewis took a screamer and was double teamed and blocked and scragged all game - so Ratts and Saints rate him.

Funny sort of game to watch.

Wingard's best game for a little while too.

Day does not play like a skinny first year kid. Commentators early lol about Scrimmers basically turning into Birchall.

Gunston's had a pretty good year, considering

Good situational read from the Saints players attempting to break the tackle every time in the 4th. All reward, no risk! Oh well. Scully was OK. Howe's decision making has improved from last year and earlier, but still drops away when he gets tired.

Had a crack. All I wanted. Poor Worps. Didn't want that.

Considering the very short breaks between three games, a damn good effort from the team to hold on as long they could, and there's always glimpses of a good plan when it's executed well.

I'm sick of the umpires at this point. It's evident there is bias, and was great to see Shiels call it out on the field mid-game.

Probably the biggest observation I've seen all season is that we are constantly caught off guard with an opposition player free in our goal square. The defensive line have to work on that, as there have been many goals conceded from it.

Again, just shows modern the game plan (hawks aren't the only ones guilty here) can't cope with two injuries mid game. Not happy with a loss but saw more positives than negatives

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greaves a very solid debut.

Not a bad game from Lewis, could be better but did some good things which should boost his confidence. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in the last two games.

Wingard played more time in the middle. Looked good. 8 tackles, twice as much as the next best. Not bad for a "lazy" player!

Cousins was very good again. He puts himself in the right spots to win the ball and find plenty of space, but he still rushes his possessions even though he has more time than he thinks. If he can just work on that part of his game and his finishing ability when kicking for goal Cousins will be best 22 next year.

also how are them make up free kicks in the last 2 mins of the game when it's sealed? love your work umps!!!!

Hahah yeah and two of them should’ve been 50 because the ball was roosted 60m into the saints forward line, then the Ceglar one late Marshall had his hands all over the ball stopping quick disposal.

Our effort was a lot better this week though, love when Wingard has the “I want to rip heads off” attitude at stoppages. If he brings that every week he can be as lazy as he wants in transition.

More than we could’ve hoped for this week anyway and surely Will Day gets rising star nod?

The last few weeks, Cousins has shown some pace and creative disposal (his kick into the middle to set up a goal in yhe last was exceptional) which makes me think he can be a long term player.

Greaves was excellent on debut. Thought he gave us more than Hardwick has in that role in the last few weeks.

Scully looked like the GWS version for the first time all year - hoping longer games next year will see more of this, but it was his work in tight that I was impressed with too - miles better than the beginning of the year.

Scrimshaw and Day continue to be shining lights.

On the downside, I am officially worried about Tom Mitchell. Giving his all and his link up efforts are first rate, even used the ball better this week (not including his one obligatory loopy handball to turn the ball over)...BUT, his explosiveness quick twitch reactions around stoppages seem gone. Hoping he just needs a rest?

Best game by O'Brien for a while.

Wingard was great.
Loved Greaves,
Scrimshaw and Day the Two Towers.

Mitchell as usual in everything.

Gunston is just so clever.
Actually pretty happy with that loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back