Preview Round 17, 2022: Hawks v Crows 3:20pm Sun 10th July, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an exciting team that is. Can't wait for Sunday!

• Blanck, Sicily and DGB as a defensive trio for the first time.
  • Newcombe, Macdonald, Ward and Maginness all likely to be relied on and get some serious midfield minutes.
  • Morris surely to play Brambles role off half back pushing up to the wing.
  • McEvoy back to take some contested marks and provide leadership support to Reeves.

Serong’s best game this year in the VFL was actually against Port Melbourne when he played as the second ruck.

I don’t know if he’s going to play in the ruck at AFL level, as I think he’s too undersized, but playing him up the ground does seem to suit him a lot better than playing as a permanent forward.
He looks like big midfielder to me, just had a huge growth spurt

You can at least get the club to help out with MCG/Ticketek when you're a member. If the AFL wants more people going to matches maybe give fully paid up members the same access to choosing a ticket when they move our games away from their reserved seats at the MCG.

Remember when they gave us nosebleed seats for the away Geelong game? The week before marvel and Essendon gave quite good seats fo 22 game members

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shiels has to be sub, doesn’t he?
I'd wager good money he is.

I've noticed that the Hawthorn Football Club team listing often provides a little hint.

In: McEvoy, Morris, Maginness, Grainger-Barras, Ward
Out: Worpel (shoulder), Bramble (back), Butler (shin), Day (suspended), Gunston (personal)

Shiels is not listed as Out: (medi-sub), which usually happens if the medi sub is being replaced that week.

Over the opening weeks of the season, it seemed like there was a debut every week and more of a reliance on the younger guys

For whatever reason, it felt like the last handful of games, the selectors were leaning more towards experienced players. Possibly for the midseason steady (gonna patent that expression)

This week definitely has the feel to it like those first few rounds. Younger guys coming back in, ahead of older bodies

Crows were very good last week though, so will be another good test. Hopefully Marvel is a positive more for us than them

I'm not interested his 147 games he played at Port Adelaide tbh.

More interested in the sub 60 games he has played for us over a 4 year period after we traded large amounts for him.

Every club has bust trades though, we just have to move on I suppose.
Not “we”.
You.

Players love him.
Coaching staff love him and his leadership,
Club loves the culture he has created.

Some trades are not just purely about onfield.

Some are about what you are creating.

Other clubs have come headhunting him.
We gave him the option to finish his career elsewhere where success may be closer.
At the right price for us.

He chose us.

Not “we”.
You.

Players love him.
Coaching staff love him and his leadership,
Club loves the culture he has created.

Some trades are not just purely about onfield.

Some are about what you are creating.

Other clubs have come headhunting him.
We gave him the option to finish his career elsewhere where success may be closer.
At the right price for us.

He chose us.

Yeah we gave up a lot for an ambassador.

ROFL. Yep. Great point.

It's usually people who don't go to games or even watch them, but just look at fantasy points to base their sputum on.
Using SuperCoach scores to prove your point means you instantly lose the argument.

Dismissing them completely is also naïve.

Whether you play the game or not, SC scores are the best statistical measurement of performance there is. It is not simple stats for points (like alternative fantasy games), it rewards the quality of possession and punishes poor play. Achievements when the game is on the line are also weighted more heavily than ones in junk time.

For me, after I have watched a game closely, the supercoach rankings always line up with my own thoughts better than the 'best' in the paper.

No we haven't. I've pulled you up on this before and you went silent. How would not doing that trade have us in a better position?

Posts will be deleted if this debate comes up again.

Let's just say that there are plenty on this board who weren't fans of trading for Wingard and still wouldn't do it if we had our time over.

At this point we need to trade him for something decent or hope he returns to All Australian form. He's sat in the middle of those two outcomes since he arrived.

No we haven't. I've pulled you up on this before and you went silent. How would not doing that trade have us in a better position?

We have no idea who we would have drafted with those picks, but I'd have rather have had a crack at those picks being on the list + Burton, as opposed to Wingard who averages 13-14 games a season at us, plays a handful of good ones a year and will likely never play in a winning finals match at Hawthorn.

In saying that a lot of it from my end is hindsight in this regard, I did think Wingard was going to be a much better player for us than he has been.

We have no idea who we would have drafted with those picks, but I'd have rather have had a crack at those picks being on the list + Burton, as opposed to Wingard who averages 13-14 games a season at us, plays a handful of good ones a year and will likely never play in a winning finals match at Hawthorn.

In saying that a lot of it from my end is hindsight in this regard, I did think Wingard was going to be a much better player for us than he has been.
So what is the point you’re making - that’s it’s just disappointing or that mistakes were made (if we accept that hindsight would not have been available and it looked like a good get)

So what is the point you’re making - that’s it’s just disappointing or that mistakes were made (if we accept that hindsight would not have been available and it looked like a good get)

Combination of both, probably more a shame than anyone, Chad to me will go down as a player that never reached the heights his talent level suggested he should have.

Anyways on to this game, it shall be interesting to see two very young sides battle it out, we really need a win for morale I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back