Preview Round 2 – West Coast vs GWS Giants, Saturday 30th March 2019, Optus Stadium, 8.10pm EDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-03-28/match-preview-round-2-v-west-coast

Where and when: Optus Stadium, Saturday March 30, 5.10pm AWST

Last time they met: Optus Stadium, round 16, 2018. West Coast 13.8 (86) def. GIANTS 10.15 (75)

Both sides were dealing with decimated forward lines and were scrapping for the top four, but it was the Eagles who arrested a three-game losing streak in a see-sawing encounter with midfielder Andrew Gaff racking up 41 touches and booting two goals.

TV, radio and betting: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for West Coast: After a hiccup in Brisbane, expect talk of a hangover if the Eagles can't produce a better effort at home on a marquee occasion when the club will raise the premiership flag and celebrate Shannon Hurn, Chris Masten and, pending fitness, Josh Kennedy's milestone games.

What it means for the GIANTS: The GIANTS thumped Essendon and if Leon Cameron can engineer an upset in Perth there will be growing belief this group, despite a busy NAB AFL Trade Period, is a genuine premiership threat.

How West Coast wins: The Eagles were smashed in the contest (-29) by Brisbane and need to at least square the midfield battle to give their inexperienced forward line more chances to kick a winning score.

How the GIANTS win: Star forwards Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron hold the key for the GIANTS. If that duo combines for five goals or more it will go a long way to securing victory.

The stat: The GIANTS might have a reputation among some as a free-wheeling outfit, but they outhunted Essendon in round one. Despite having 63 more possessions they laid more tackles (63-58) and belted the Bombers in contested ball (+40).

The match-up: Elliot Yeo v Toby Greene

It would be robbing Peter to pay Paul, but West Coast coach Adam Simpson will surely weigh up sending star midfielder Elliot Yeo back to defence to pick up Toby Greene. Yeo has the pace, smarts and aerial ability to stop the gun GIANT, and has done the job before.

It's a big week for: Shannon Hurn

A week after leading West Coast for the 100th time, the premiership skipper will become just the eighth Eagle to reach the 250-game milestone on Saturday night. It will be a huge event given Kennedy reaches 200 club games, Masten plays his 200th and the flag will be raised, and more importantly than anything the Eagles need a win.

Apparently greene and perryman out, haynes and buntine in. Big out for us for greene to miss and kelly not playing. Lloyd has greater responsibility as the medium sized marking forward.

Tall team but we know Cameron likes to have talls and 3 are quite mobile in Haynes, TOJ and Tomlinson so if they play well it should work. Another reason is the talls in the Eagles team with Darling, JK and Allen in the f50 and the 2 rucks they match up imo
Disappointed with Kelly and Greene not playing but I would much rather they were in the team for finals and fit than struggling for fitness, I will add if they are both out next week then that is when the concerns will start
Bonar is interesting as he seemed to play well in the pre season games so far and the only reason I can think is they need him to work on his fitness to be able to play 70%+ of game time and again thinking he would be more useful with that fitness
Hope they take Shipley over as on of the travelling emergencies as I feel he was unlucky not to play in the JLT

Wouldnt be the giants without a key injury after round one Would it;(

And the best forward in the game back for them....sigh
Apparently greene and perryman out, haynes and buntine in. Big out for us for greene to miss and kelly not playing. Lloyd has greater responsibility as the medium sized marking forward.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Full strength i'd give u a chance, but without kelly and that scissor kick kid i don't like your chances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Green out will hurt our chances. I still think their weakness last week was contested ball and that was our strength- so we are still a fair chance here. Although I would concede not the favourite

I get people’s frustrations with injury but what do we expect? Rush them back to early (2018 green) and we complain about injury management. Tread lightly and hold key players back when they report soreness and we still complain...

Big test for the mids tomorrow and to see if the Bombers win was all because they were woeful, It should be a good match up all over the park and the team names although not the most experienced the age factor is similar with Reid, Keefe and Lloyd in the lineup but I would have the Eagles as heavy favourites and I am hoping for at most a 4 goal loss and most importantly no injuries

Not really the thread but Rance, Reiwoldt and likely Grimes out for next weeks game

Big test for the mids tomorrow and to see if the Bombers win was all because they were woeful, It should be a good match up all over the park and the team names although not the most experienced the age factor is similar with Reid, Keefe and Lloyd in the lineup but I would have the Eagles as heavy favourites and I am hoping for at most a 4 goal loss and most importantly no injuries

Not really the thread but Rance, Reiwoldt and likely Grimes out for next weeks game
I laugh at Richmond supporters and the talk of their outs.

I laugh at Richmond supporters and the talk of their outs.

Reiwoldt had another "Greene"marking attempt in the game and the ump was talking to him but nothing from the commentators
It would be interesting to be in on some of the meetings between the execs and the commentators as I am sure they are trying to increase the level of drama in the commentary and maybe we end up with some kind of MAFS storyline
If I wasnt streaming I would try and get some radio commentary but it is nealry impossible to get the sync right

The odds are quite juicy eagles 1.48 us at 2.75. Mmm

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back