Preview Round 2, 2019: Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, 31 March 3:20pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, OK - I see your point.

Agree - Nash has gotta be dangerous as well as being defensive, but I’m sure that’s the plan.

I reckon he’ll kick 2x goals this week, as well as ruining Wood’s game
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love nothing more than The Big Irishman to have a cracker!! I have nothing against his aggression!

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love nothing more than The Big Irishman to have a cracker!! I have nothing against his aggression!

I hope so also and perhaps quieten down a few knockers.

If he has a bad game so be it but my gut feeling says that he is the type to only give 100% at every contest and that's all you can ask and apply real pressure in key moments to lift team mates and send a message to the opposition when around his presence.

Bad luck to Mirra who is a good, solid backman I reckon but sadly someone has to make way but keep your chin up and come back stronger than ever.

Best of luck to Tom Scully as shows why we picked him. We took a chance on him people as some of the moronic media forget the serious nature of his injury. Shows how determined this guy is and how professional he is about going about his rehab!

Most of those same media people, as we can guess who they are, would love to see him break down again which shows their character and obsessive jealousy against a club that takes risks through shrewd and brilliant decisions.

Of course not all pay off, such as Vickery, Thorpe, O'Rourke, Dowler etc but we are not afraid to pull the trigger and take a risk.

Good luck Mr Scully as you deserve it!

His aggression and endeavor can't be questioned, he does however need to drastically improve his kicking and marking.

I do believe the kid will mate it, but do question whether the seniors is the best team for him to develop in.

Either way it's fun to watch him break opposition players in a tackle.

I'm looking forward to mid-season when we have a fit and firing Scully, Smith and Henderson all flying.

Which sides would keep up?

Not too many I would reckon.

Let's imagine all are flying as you say then they can also play Half back / Half forward not just the wing, so Scully and Henderson are on the wings with Smith at half forward, wouldn't be bad as a thumping, running kick for goal.

In fact you could comfortably swap all of those three around from wing to half-forward without a problem.

They are indeed the 'Spitfires' / speed machines.

Go The Spitfires!

I'm looking forward to mid-season when we have a fit and firing Scully, Smith and Henderson all flying.

Which sides would keep up?
I think it’s important to mention Shiels & Impey in this conversation (& Nash, in 50 games) as well.

I do believe the kid will mate it, but do question whether the seniors is the best team for him to develop in.

It’s pretty important to acknowledge that he’s in the 1sts because the Coach & Match Committee of the 1sts side want/need him, not as a gift, hoping that he’ll develop...

It’s pretty important to acknowledge that he’s in the 1sts because the Coach & Match Committee of the 1sts side want/need him, not as a gift, hoping that he’ll develop...

No doubt that you're 100% correct but I do still have my reservations about him.

I do honestly believe that he'll make it and hopefully playing in the seniors accelerates his development and doesn't hinder it.

Either way I'm keen to see NASH SMASH!

Yup - more ball time at a lower level would likely accelerate his skill development in marking/kicking in game conditions.
Problem is, he's our best replacement for Cyril. Box Hill is full of young men with skills, few of whom can handle AFL intensity; Nash is ready-made for it.
Could see him dropped for Wingard, but Cousins is more likely the one at risk.
He just has to catch up the skill development in training, as best he can, and bring the ball to ground in marking contests. One of the few we have rushed in before they were ready, but necessity is like that.

Let's imagine all are flying as you say then they can also play Half back / Half forward not just the wing, so Scully and Henderson are on the wings with Smith at half forward, wouldn't be bad as a thumping, running kick for goal.

In fact you could comfortably swap all of those three around from wing to half-forward without a problem.

Go The Spitfires!
Insert The Prodigy’s “Spitfire” here.

RIP Keith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go The Spitfires!
I can hear the Rolls Royce Merlin's already...

So how many games does Roughy get without being an aerial threat before we give his spot to someone else?
Rough's never been a huge aerial threat, he's always been judged on other metrics. Thought he took a good defender and was decent last week. Given his recent record against the dogs I'm expecting a good performance tomorrow. His spot is well and truly safe

Rough's never been a huge aerial threat, he's always been judged on other metrics. Thought he took a good defender and was decent last week. Given his recent record against the dogs I'm expecting a good performance tomorrow. His spot is well and truly safe

used to be able to clunk a few contested marks back in his prime... now he just drops marks constantly. I'd argue his spot is well and truly up for grabs in a few weeks.

John Candy as Bruce?

"This is car 44. We're in a truck!"
It's 55. I hace watched this movie more than 100 times and know it by heart. Spent many many a friday night at the Valahalla cinema.

used to be able to clunk a few contested marks back in his prime... now he just drops marks constantly. I'd argue his spot is well and truly up for grabs in a few weeks.
Why in a few weeks? Rough had a strong pre season and the capaincy relinquishment should see him less burdened by all the extra obligations it entails. Can see him having a solid year, we certainly don't have a better full forward candidate at present

I liked the crash n bash he brought against the crows. He was lime a D9.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why in a few weeks? Rough had a strong pre season and the capaincy relinquishment should see him less burdened by all the extra obligations it entails. Can see him having a solid year, we certainly don't have a better full forward candidate at present
Its just the fact he doesnt take marks and plays small. In a few weeks because Clarko has too much respect for a club champion to drop in round 2 but ill predict Mitch Lewis to be taking games off roughy by round 6-8.

Its just the fact he doesnt take marks and plays small. In a few weeks because Clarko has too much respect for a club champion to drop in round 2 but ill predict Mitch Lewis to be taking games off roughy by round 6-8.
So you just anticipate that it's now impossible for Roughly to play another decent game ever again?

I'll predict this post will look extremely premature.

I understand the point you're making and Lewis will be given afl exposure at some stage this year but Rough's greatest attribute has been his ability to play small. His clean hands at ground level, tackling, bullocking and clearance work are quite unique for someone his size. He's also extremely unselfish and won't hesitate to drag his opponent away from a contest if it benefits the team.
Sure, Rough isn't the player he was in 2014 but I think he'll be at least as good as last year if not better. And he feasts on the bulldogs like TOB does against the dees!

So you just anticipate that it's now impossible for Roughly to play another decent game ever again?

I'll predict this post will look extremely premature.

I think he's capable of playing well, just don't think he's capable of playing the role that a tall forward should. This isn't off the back of one game, its off the back of over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back