Autopsy Round 2, 2021: St.Kilda v Melbourne *SPUD'S GAME* *SINCLAIR 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Main issue with Gresh's foot skills is he tries to kick the cover off it, needs to stop trying to roost it. Jones foot skills are very inconsistent as well. I think we need to develop Bytel, has the strength to defend in the midfield, the nous to win clearances and get out clean exits and decent skills.
Gresh is suppose to be a good kick (scored 25/25 in kicking test during draft combine).. but that’s without pressure and like a training drill only.. Maybe because he is not normally a long kick (probably no more than 40 metres), to move the ball on quickly and kick long, he is forced to hoof it.. the frustrating thing is our forwards don’t lead much anyway, so he can’t really pin point the ball.. Really miss the days when Harvey/Dal Santo can hit the G train or Riewoldt on the lead..

Think if our only strategy is long bomb to a hot spot and rely on our small forwards to win the ball, then we’re going to be an inconsistent team.. Hope Rats understand this anf will develop a plan B

As terrible as our ruck situation is I don't think that was the issue last night. Gawn might have won every hitout but we were relatively even in the clearance/contested ball situation I thought. In fact looking at the stats we were dead even on clearances with Melbourne. But our ball use was horrendous. I picked on Hill earlier in the thread but he was just the most egregious. So many long bombs under minimal pressure, kicks to 3 on 1s or just straight up kicking it directly to a Melbourne player. It was as if there was a jumper clash issue at times the way we used the ball.

Also, Gawn got into some good positions in def50 but we were pretty much picking him out every time, and I actually thought a lot of those we did a good job of bringing the ball to ground.
Forward line was stagnant like last time we played as well. It's crazy that so many times going forward their is very little movement, especially since its exactly what we did last time

Whilst you can make the excuse of having a poor ruck set-up and not have as strong of midfield as Melbourne, I really thought our forward structure was extremely frustrating last night.
Numerous occasions where a combination of our three talls (King, Membrey, McKernan or Battle) were stuck up past half forward with no talls to lead at the ball.
May, Lever and Gawn were just having a field day on these entries.
Hoping it was just the players failing to follow instruction, because surely they would’ve had it drilled into them from last years game that this was a major stuff-up.
For me there definitely needs to be an emphasis one player staying at home waiting for the lead to come - have a look at Tex Walker atm...
Anyway, hopefully we learn our lessons and put it behind us.

Given our tough fixture this year, games like the Demon's game are ones that will make or break our finals chances. Games against fellow final-aspirants are virtual 8 point games and our draw gives us no wriggle room. Lose too many of them and we will relying on taking big scalps like Richmond, Geelong, Port to play finals.

I suppose you could say we are 1-1 on that scorecard too given GWS would see themselves as potential finalists. We will need to flip that particular ledger in our favor as the season progresses.

Not sure.

I was told he pushed to try and play the Melbourne game but was always unlikely.

He is however doing every session with the boys this week. (Plans to anyway)

Ryder apparently expected back later in the week. (Didn’t sound like he would be playing)
Depends how much of the part training he has done. If it’s a lot he may get by with one weeks training If it’s not much he will certainly need 2 or 3 weeks of full training. Ryder shouldn’t need much at all if did everything they asked.

Tweet from Eric Bana...

Congrats to melbournefc on their win last night. My absolute disappointment in the game was slightly offset by the fact I had the pleasure of meeting Robert Muir, and Pat McGorry. Thanks to the Frawley family for their inspired work. @stkildafc #aflsaintsdees @PatMcGorry

So good to hear that Robbie Muir was at the game.

I really don't understand why McKernan was playing as our deepest forward for extended periods last night. Including when King and Membrey were both on the ground.

Maybe they wanted to keep May and Lever away from the goal square/hot spot? But * me in a year when FF's are really benefiting from the new rules can we play our best ones out of the goal square please?

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whilst you can make the excuse of having a poor ruck set-up and not have as strong of midfield as Melbourne, I really thought our forward structure was extremely frustrating last night.
Numerous occasions where a combination of our three talls (King, Membrey, McKernan or Battle) were stuck up past half forward with no talls to lead at the ball.
May, Lever and Gawn were just having a field day on these entries.
Hoping it was just the players failing to follow instruction, because surely they would’ve had it drilled into them from last years game that this was a major stuff-up.
For me there definitely needs to be an emphasis one player staying at home waiting for the lead to come - have a look at Tex Walker atm...
Anyway, hopefully we learn our lessons and put it behind us.
I think Ratten needs to own this error.. The game plan hasn’t really changed that much from Richo’s long bomb and pressure only game.. the only difference is we traded in better players last year and Ratten asked the ball to be hoofed to 1-25 metres from goal (deeper entries).. This is a flawed/predictable game plan and will be found out against good teams or teams who plans for this. Hope Ratten wise up to this.. because currently when we do win, we never control the midfield battle, just a rush kick/bomb to the hot spot and expect our small forwards to pick up the slack if tall forwards can’t mark.. basically riding our luck which worked in a shortened games last year. teams like Geelong/Collingwood/Richmond/West Coast can control the midfield, we need to as well if we want to be a top team.

I think Ratten needs to own this error.. The game plan hasn’t really changed that much from Richo’s long bomb and pressure only game.. the only difference is we traded in better players last year and Ratten asked the ball to be hoofed to 1-25 metres from goal (deeper entries).. This is a flawed/predictable game plan and will be found out against good teams or teams who plans for this. Hope Ratten wise up to this.. because currently when we do win, we never control the midfield battle, just a rush kick/bomb to the hot spot and expect our small forwards to pick up the slack if tall forwards can’t mark.. basically riding our luck which worked in a shortened games last year. teams like Geelong/Collingwood/Richmond/West Coast can control the midfield, we need to as well if we want to be a top team.
Still believe nearly every side bombs the ball forward.

Not sure.

I was told he pushed to try and play the Melbourne game but was always unlikely.

He is however doing every session with the boys this week. (Plans to anyway)

Ryder apparently expected back later in the week. (Didn’t sound like he would be playing)
Any chance we can just put one of them at all full forward for the majority of the game next week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree with not being disinterested - summed up best by the Langdon goal early in 3rd qtr where Gawn kicking from 50 out (zero chance to make that) goes over to Langdon all on his own in the pocket who then is allowed to play on and waltz in.

Could barely believe I was watching professional sport.
Yeah that was a total structural breakdown compounded with not one person trying to run and fix it. I knew then if not already...

Matthew Lloyd aims a few pointed remarks in Hill’s direction, and he’s probably spot on....

( from SEN)
Brad Hill’s error-riddled performance in St Kilda’s 18-point loss to Melbourne has come in for criticism from Matthew Lloyd.

Hill went at just 52 per cent disposal efficiency and committed seven turnovers on Saturday night with the lacklustre Saints falling to their first defeat of 2021.

The 27-year-old wingman is hoping for a big year after an inconsistent first season at St Kilda in 2020.

Bombers great Lloyd says Hill’s misdirected “millionaire passes” hurt the Saints and that he needs to “get back to basics” with his kicking.

Sometimes you’ve got to swim between the flags. If you start missing kicks early, rein it in a little bit until you get your kicking skills right,” Lloyd told Channel Nine’s Sunday Footy Show.

“I’m not sure what he was doing last night, but it just didn’t seem like he adjusted his game.

“Bradley Hill just wanted to keep playing the way Bradley Hill wants to play and it was just so disappointing last night.

“It was about Bradley Hill and playing the game he wants to play. I reckon he needed to get back to basics and he continually hurt his team going for millionaire passes … hit an easier option.

“Why go for one lace out 50 metres away when you can hit someone 20 metres away? Which I thought he did all night.”

Hill and the Saints will look for a swift response against Essendon at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

Inside 50s were 53 v 54 yet we allowed them 13 more scoring shots! Our ball use and pressure on the opposition was sub standard for most of the game.

I thought our backline (Howard was a star) performed fairly well considering the ball was coming in with so much heat. We let them spread too easily and they kept finding targets I50 because of the lack of pressure up the field.

One of the most frustrating games I've watched in a long time. I thought out best player last night was the new bloke "Skill Errors". He got a heap of possessions.
I think it shows their defence worked alot better than ours, Howard was a star but the other boys felt too much heat and lacked composure at times.

Wood is in the same camp as McKernan & Hunter for mine.

If we’re looking to a delisted north Melbourne player to turn things around we’re in big trouble.
At least wood is more of an athlete and actually played well in pre season. The only thing McKernan offers that’s better than Wood, is ruck relief. But if he’s losing the ruck than he’s basically useless. Might as well be invisible once the ball hits the deck.

At least wood is more of an athlete and actually played well in pre season. The only thing McKernan offers that’s better than Wood, is ruck relief. But if he’s losing the ruck than he’s basically useless. Might as well be invisible once the ball hits the deck.
Would prefer Carlisle to either of them TBH, at least the guy can play.

Good news re Paddy and Roma looking like being back in the coming weeks.

I'd look at bringing Paddy straight in for the Methendon game (as long as he's done the work as has been reported) along with Crouch - Roma the week after against Wet Toast

We don't want to rush Roma back with so many games coming up on the hard Marvel surface

Wilkie looked pretty good to me. He didn't lower his colours IMO. The volume of good entries that him and Howard chopped off made us look a lot better than we were. I thought Coff was the one who looked a bit ordinary this season, Long gets too far off his man and Webster is a trier but not naturally very gifted. We miss Paton, he was a terrier.
I think without Jake, Wilkie is ppicking up the second best forward when he normally is on the 3rd. With Battle or Jake Wilkie will be his old self.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - if you haven't seen these before this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the mids (inside + wing) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Ross 20 (4w)
Steele 20
Billings 18 wing
Gresham 15
Battle 14 wing
Jones 13 (8i, 5w)
Clark 9
Hill 8 wing
Sinclair 7 (4i, 3w)
Bytel 6

Hunter 23
McKernan 3

Centre Clearances

Gresham 4
Sinclair 2
Hunter 2
Steele 1
Ross 1
Clark 1

Top 5 Pressure Acts (from that group)

Hill 27
Billings 21
Battle 20
Steele 19
Ross 19
Jones 19

Breakdown by Quarter - Q1

Ross 6 (1w)
Gresham 5
Steele 5
Billings 5 wing
Battle 4 wing
Jones 3 (2i, 1w)
Sinclair 2 (1i, 1w)
Hill 1 wing
Clark 1

Q2

Hill 7 wing
Steele 6
Ross 5
Gresham 5
Jones 4 (2i, 2w)
Clark 3
Billings 2 wing
Battle 2 wing
Sinclair 1 wing

Q3

Billings 6 wing
Ross 5 (3i, 2w)
Steele 4
Battle 4 wing
Jones 3
Clark 3
Gresham 2
Sinclair 2
Bytel 1

Q4

Steele 6
Billings 6 wing
Bytel 5
Ross 4 (1w)
Battle 4 wing
Gresham 3
Jones 3 (2w, 1i)
Clark 2
Sinclair 2 (1i, 1w)

Notes:
- Half as many starts as last week for Clark & Hill. Clark's TOG was also 6% lower than last week
- Much more inside this week from Ross (only 20% wing starts last night vs. 55% against GWS)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back