Preview Round 2 2022, Port Adelaide v. Hawthorn, Saturday 7:10 ACDT @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

JakeNeadeFan

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Vale_REbert_900x560.jpg

Port Adelaide will play its first home game of the season against Hawthorn at 7:10 ACDT on Saturday at Adelaide Oval. The game will honour the life and legacy of club legend Russell Ebert.

Head to Head

The overall win loss record sits at 21 Wins and 16 Losses against Hawthorn. In the last 5 games Port Adelaide has won three and Hawthorn 2.

Last time the two teams met Port Adelaide defeated Hawthorn by 34 points at Marvel Stadium in Shaun Burgoyne’s 400th AFL game. Notably (and unfortunately somewhat predictably) Port Adelaide got out to a 42 point lead at half-time before losing momentum and missing out on a massive victory. Ollie Wines was best on ground with 43 disposals and 14 clearances in that game. Charlie Dixon kicked 4 goals.

Form

Port Adelaide is coming off a gruelling 11 point loss to Brisbane at the Gabba on Saturday evening. After leading late in the game by 24 points, Port succumbed to a mounting injury toll and the harsh conditions to concede the lead and ultimately the game to Brisbane late in the 4th. Dan Houston had his best game for the club with 36 disposals and two games. Ryan Burton did an exceptional blanket job on Charlie Cameron who had minimal impact on the game. Aliir, Duursma, McKenzie, Rozee and Gray all had injury concerns during the game, although it appears only Aliir at the moment is guaranteed out for this game with Syndesmosis.

Hawthorn beat wooden spoon favourites North Melbourne by 20 points at the MCG on Sunday afternoon to mark the start of new coach Sam Mitchell’s reign. Hawthorn were behind at half time but pulled ahead in the third quarter to get out to a comfortable winning margin. Tom Mitchell had 29 disposals and 4 clearances. James Sicily had a successful return from an ACL to have 27 disposals and 7 intercepts. Max Lynch was subbed out with concussion and will be unable to play in this game under concussion protocols. Hawthorn were missing Luke Breust and Ben McEvoy under health and safety protocols and it seems likely they will slot straight back in this week.

Danger Men

Hawthorn surprisingly don’t have too many players who play exceptionally well against Port Adelaide. In fact, according to the AFL Player Ratings they only have 4 players who perform better against Port Adelaide than their career average (excluding players who have played less than three games). Former Port Adelaide player Jarman Impey performs 20% better against Port Adelaide than other teams. Jack Gunston performs 9% better than average, Daniel Howe 3% better and Ben McEvoy is even at his average performance. The remaining players have performed worse than their overall average performance.

Ones to Watch

Conversely, Port Adelaide has 6 players who perform better than their overall average. Karl Amon loves playing against Hawthorn - he performs 36% better than his average against the Hawks. Travis Boak performs 17% better, Robbie Gray 13% better and Sam Powell Pepper 10% better.

Keys to the Game

Historically Clarkson’s Hawthorn was a team that was heavily reliant on efficiency rather than contested ball winning and clearance winning. Teams that could monopolise the ball and use it efficiently going forward while pressuring the Hawks into mistakes when they were going the other way usually won. Mitchell’s Hawthorn… who knows?

We do know that Port Adelaide usually wins when winning the contested possession count, so it is safe to say that winning the contest will be very important.

Prediction

Hawthorn will most likely be in better shape from an injury perspective. Although Port Adelaide rarely loses at home against bottom 8 teams. I’m going for a 21 point win to Port.

Last edited:

Hawthorn will turn this into an absolute scrap. If they keep it close anything could happen but if we can get on top in the midfield we should win by 30+ easy

It’ll be a meh game. Starting with not doing the obvious honouring by wearing the Prison Bars Ebert did so much in, because our club is spineless. This will extend to patches of the game, where even if we win, we’ll make a bottom 6 side look like hot s**t.

After his performance against the Lions I’d have held out hope Lycett out and at least have the interest of Hayes debuting, but I expect Ken to go his ‘back the players who’ve failed over and over’ routine. Usually it takes until mid-season before all enthusiasm has gone, but it’s hard to even have it start at all this year. I’ll have forks at hand, ready to stab my eyes with, it’s going to be one of those games I think.

Do Hawthorn play with 3 tall forwards? We may need Burton covering there.
They had Gunston, Lewis, Reeves & Lynch, so 2 rucks, 2 KPFs.

Lynch will be out with concussion, so unless McEvoy is fit, or Kositschke comes in, probably not.

I would be happy for Burton to crush Gunston too I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Fort by 70.

Hopefully this will shut up the Wingard lovers on this forum.

He could throw his hairstylist off the Westgate and I’d still want to nosh him off for his service to club and what that meant — 2013-15 especially.

Tom Mitchell is an overrated dog and deserves to be jeered this weekend in the same way that his flog supporters booed Rozee last year after he literally got unfairly shoved off the ball.

Hawks supporters are the ******* worst. They make Wet Toast and Cows fans look sensible in comparison.

Horks will be up and about early hoping to capitalise on all of our outs
Hang in and it will open up in the second half
Ports by 24 points
Doing it for the Great Man
Vale

We do, Mitch Lewis (198/199cm), McEvoy will come back in at 200 ish (resting ruck) and Gunston (193).
You might have the better spine on the night then. Our tall forwards disappointed against the Lions, and having a fit Sicily as well as CJ you'll probably be marking lots of our f50 entries.

Th midfield matchups will either make or break the game for us. Are you guys sticking Wingard up in a forward pocket full - time now? Or does he still pitch in at the midfield?

You might have the better spine on the night then. Our tall forwards disappointed against the Lions, and having a fit Sicily as well as CJ you'll probably be marking lots of our f50 entries.

Th midfield matchups will either make or break the game for us. Are you guys sticking Wingard up in a forward pocket full - time now? Or does he still pitch in at the midfield?
He'll play some midfield, probably more this week.
Was playing super deep against North due to Breust being out with Covid.

Breust comes back in this week. We'll probably drop Shiels for him and McEvoy comes in for Lynch who is concussed.

The last spot is Day who may or may not play.

The midfield will make or break it i do agree.

I think the thing is if we get enough inside 50s our forwards could probably stretch your defense and there's no Dixon to worry about and Gray/Rozee probably won't be 100%.

He'll play some midfield, probably more this week.
Was playing super deep against North due to Breust being out with Covid.

Breust comes back in this week. We'll probably drop Shiels for him and McEvoy comes in for Lynch who is concussed.

The last spot is Day who may or may not play.

The midfield will make or break it i do agree.

I think the thing is if we get enough inside 50s our forwards could probably stretch your defense and there's no Dixon to worry about and Gray/Rozee probably won't be 100%.
Wow! had a 25 disposal game on Sunday, is that not up to standards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back