Preview Round 2, 2024 vs Richmond changes & pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have they ever tried Burgoyne as a forward? Shaun started out there and was very handy and Peter was also known for being handy up forward, kicked 41 goals in 2002.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have they ever tried Burgoyne as a forward? Shaun started out there and was very handy and Peter was also known for being handy up forward, kicked 41 goals in 2002.

Shaun Burgoyne was quite possibly the most gifted junior to ever come through the draft to Port.

It isn’t the same.

Shaun Burgoyne was quite possibly the most gifted junior to ever come through the draft to Port.

It isn’t the same.

But we are not replacing Shaun Burgoyne we are replacing 1 possession Jed mcentee.

I personally think Jase deserves a go, I was surprised he was overlooked for Frankie Evans for round 1

neither is Williams, and McEntee and Evans do bugger all anyway
Williams kicked 51 goals in the SANFL in 2021/22. Evans 20 goals in 11 SANFL games, and kicked 7 goals in his last 3 full AFL games.

Burgoyne has no exposed form as a forward.

Quentin Narkle has to be considered too surely?

Has just come back from a back injury and didn't really do much in the SANFL trial, see how he goes Friday night vs South.

And you are absolutely right.

I think that the magic number is around six. So, around R4, teams should be gelled or else they are in trouble.
Personally after 10 years of "the missing piece" all the minor rounds are trials. Making the 8 is not a pass mark, it is expected.

Until they start playing a style that holds up to finals football and actually win finals they're really just making up the numbers.

Williams kicked 51 goals in the SANFL in 2021/22. Evans 20 goals in 11 SANFL games, and kicked 7 goals in his last 3 full AFL games.

Geez I was way off with Williams.

Personally after 10 years of "the missing piece" all the minor rounds are trials. Making the 8 is not a pass mark, it is expected.

Until they start playing a style that holds up to finals football and actually win finals they're really just making up the numbers.

The missing piece narrative was always media driven bs, can’t recall the club actually parroting that bs.

And then it turned into a crows supporter meme for us but it never had any substance to it and they were just jealous because we had stronger ability to attract players from interstate than they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interesting thing is that he ability as a forward was never in question. Not during his junior days and not doing his time in SANFL as a forward either. He probably didn't transfer his freakish skills from u18s to SANFL but he was still effective.

He's also not exactly slow, probably same pace as DBJ. They aren't the fastest but labelling them slow is also not the right term imo.

The issue with Williams as a forward in AFL, after his debut against Swans, was his endurance and strength, both of which are now AFL standard as he showed last year.

I highly doubt whether we'd do it. But I think I'd have Williams as a forward permanently. His footy smarts are above what I've seen ever from DBJ or McEntee plus he's got some good overhead marking ability.

Finlayson back to the SANFL to get some form the minute George is good to play
I kinda go with this except who spells Soldo in 2nd ruck. Even if Soldo rests more up forward and Sweet takes more of the ruck, there is a considerable amount of time when Sweet will be playing somewhere {probably up forward} when he hasn't really shown an ability to do so.

Williams definitely deserves a chance up forward. He may not be quick but neither was Robbie. Like Robbie he reads the game well, is good one on one, takes a good mark and has the skills to execute. I am so ******* tired of hearing about the value of defensive forwards, even the commentators have bought into it. Talking Mcentee up during his one possession, one tackle game.

More Riolis. Less McEntees.

Last edited:
Lol all this talk about Williams up forward, or giving alphabet his first game.... When was the last time we tried something or was the least bit creative?
Williams spent half a quarter last year playing as a forward after coming on as the sub. He looked lost, and at the next break we rejigged the line up moving Williams back and Burton (I think) forward.

Williams spent half a quarter last year playing as a forward after coming on as the sub. He looked lost, and at the next break we rejigged the line up moving Williams back and Burton (I think) forward.
Half a quarter ain't much of a sample size, plenty of our forwards do fukc all for longer than that at times.

I like him down back though and hope he comes back in soon, I'm sure as s**t not jerking off to the back half's performance to an absolute rabble like West Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back