Autopsy Round 21, 2021: St.Kilda v Sydney *PRIDE GAME* *COFFIELD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

He does some incredible set up kicks but can do the stupid at times. His pace is back which helps. Last year he looked slow. Rooey obviously doesn't rate him, always pulls up his poor efforts even if he isn't the only one responsible. I think that's tainted how the fans see him.
It's similar to how the opinion of Savage changed immediately after Roo mentioned he kicked it long way too often.

Well the club 100% disagree. If it was a choice of Connelly or billings at the moment billings would play every time.
Maybe. Connoly would probably be out for a healthy Hunter Clarke. And Billings would be out for a healthy Jade Gresham. Full list to choose from Billings is probably in the 23-25 range. An important player to have as depth but not someone we should keep on big money.
If he does leave it's because the club will let him known in no uncertain terms he's not guaranteed a spot every week. If he wants more opportunity he'll asked to be traded and we'll get a late 2nd I'd wager.
Happy for him to stay but its been 8 years, this is the best he'll get.

The more I see of Wilkie, Highmore and now Sharman the more I have faith in the Allison selection.

The other three were mature agers who had been in the system a while but the recruiters still saw talent.

Allison is very very young, playing back is part of his development. I certainly wouldn't be worried ATM about a young player who has just finished growing, has played bugger all footy in the last 18 months and is effectively starting from scratch.

He could be a bust still but so far Libba is the Bin Chicken of recruiters, gets absolutely nothing to work with and finds gems. He's certainly earning some brownie points with his late picks.

Maybe. Connoly would probably be out for a healthy Hunter Clarke. And Billings would be out for a healthy Jade Gresham. Full list to choose from Billings is probably in the 23-25 range. An important player to have as depth but not someone we should keep on big money.
If he does leave it's because the club will let him known in no uncertain terms he's not guaranteed a spot every week. If he wants more opportunity he'll asked to be traded and we'll get a late 2nd I'd wager.
Happy for him to stay but its been 8 years, this is the best he'll get.

You keep saying depth. Repeating it doesn’t make it correct. The club obviously don’t rate him as depth because I have no doubt he will be offfered at least 500k a year. Billings is clearly in the best 22

To me its a simple equation with a fit squad.
JB, Seb, Dunny V's Byrnes, Coff, Bytel

I'll put money that the latter 3 end up better players than the former and so it's a matter of other considerations. If it means we get a CHB from trading or perhaps another FRDP off the Dogs or the like then you'd be mad not to.

You'd go backwards short term though. Probably bottom 6 next year. Keep them and we are potential top 8. I don't have the stomach for another reset.

King should have had about 15 free kicks. Rampe was holding and pushing in the back at every opportunity. Buddy got one for having Wilkie too close to him but Rampe can do whatever he wants.

Just loved Kingy giving Rampe the shove after he kicked his goal after his contested mark. Liked to see the (slight) arrogance and aggro.

His coach at Calder Cannons was going to play him across hb to help his development.

Allison is another that could blossom in a professional environment.

The Strathmore junior has an elite running capacity of his size and has been working closely with Geelong premiership star and outgoing Calder talent manager Tom Lonergan.

“Matt has really come into calculations after playing half the season as a 17-year-old in 2019,” Smith said.

“He runs a 6.25 2km, so he’s got an unbelievable running capacity, and he really grew – he’s up to 195cm.

“He showed a lot in the three practice games, we played him deep forward, his capable of playing on a wing and we were going to play him across half-back this year to expand his range.

“He’s trained his guts out this year, done a power of work with Tom Lonergan through 2019 and into 2020, and with his tank and speed he’s a really interesting prospect.”

Ratts still looking for his Kouta?

You keep saying depth. Repeating it doesn’t make it correct. The club obviously don’t rate him as depth because I have no doubt he will be offfered at least 500k a year. Billings is clearly in the best 22
I'm not trying to convince this is how the club is going to see it. I said several times, this is all just my opinion. Maybe Billings re-signs and is 1st picked in every single game next year? Maybe he stays on and becomes a Dean Kent type, only coming in off the back of injuries. Or maybe he goes to another club and continues on his trajectory of being a solid contributor without ever becoming a star? Who knows!?
I gave my opinion, you don't agree which is fine. Let's see how it all plays out over the next 6 months.

Just loved Kingy giving Rampe the shove after he kicked his goal after his contested mark. Liked to see the (slight) arrogance and aggro.

Yeah from where he was at the start of the season when he was missing his shots and looking mentally crushed to launching at everything and bullying defenders in a couple of months. He looks like he realises what he could be now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's similar to how the opinion of Savage changed immediately after Roo mentioned he kicked it long way too often.
If you're trying to say no one noticed savage bombed it long to no one before roo mentioned it that's definitely re-writing history. People have had the same opinion on Ross for most of his career.

Ross is much better watching him live. His spread and running is as good as any in our team.
It's the reason he gets the ball on a wing so often. His disposal is disappointing though.
Turning into the new Geary, polarising.
Commentators gave him no credit for the chase he put on that lead to the Membery turnover and goal. That was an awesome chase, even if he didn't get a tackle or possession that lead to a goal

You'd go backwards short term though. Probably bottom 6 next year. Keep them and we are potential top 8. I don't have the stomach for another reset.
We kept them last year and have gone backwards this year

Talking trades etc as a result of performances from this game - one thing does spring to mind - if Sharman and DMac keep this up for another couple of weeks then the number of positions available for Josh Battle reduces even further.

It basically leaves him as CHB where the coaches don't want to seem to play him or depth.

Also on commentators Rooey said pre game Buddy would kick 15 goals, really Rooey

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Me thinks he wasn't a long-standing captain for his intellect.

Clearly suffering the effect of playing in front of Koschitzke for 13 years.

Talking trades etc as a result of performances from this game - one thing does spring to mind - if Sharman and DMac keep this up for another couple of weeks then the number of positions available for Josh Battle reduces even further.

It basically leaves him as CHB where the coaches don't want to seem to play him or depth.
Yep
Some would rather keep Billings and Ross and move Batlle on, I would rather keep Battle and move Ross & Billings on
Gives us something to talk about during theses lockdowns

Also Highmore looking so good makes it harder for Battle

Also on commentators Rooey said pre game Buddy would kick 15 goals, really Rooey

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
To be fair before the game I thought the same thing

Yeah his early season form was decent but both Byrnes and Leo have gone past him and their best is now better than his best. This is just my opinion though. Billings has not shown any elite skills for the 2nd half of this season, in fact I'd have him on about par with Ross this season. Give me youthful exuberance ahead of lazy, soft outside football Billings has dished up this year.
Geez, I know people are down on Billings and excited by Connolly. But Connolly's best game so barely matches the output that an injured Billings cops criticism for producing. To say Leo's best is already better than Billings best is an extreme exaggeration.

We kept them last year and have gone backwards this year

Long bow to draw though.
You have to take injuries and a permanently unsettled team this year into account. It was a big factor in our year no matter what anyone says about not using injuries as an excuse. We were seriously knocked around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back