Preview Round 23 Geelong vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather us play at the MCG, Grand final will be there and we have been a very average side in the past 5 years playing at the MCG....
KP every day of the week.

Get to the GF and anything can happen.

In an instagram story from yesterday (I assumed post training) Paddy had a video of Blicavs with his foot/ankle in some water - assume this is for recovery/swelling.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets up.

He had a broken leg not a foot injury so is it possibly a new injury? Thats all we bloody need, another foot injury.

The right to play 9 home games at KP (and 2 at MCG) should not be bartered against with the right to a home final.
You dont see the AFL taking a home Final away from GWS, Swans, Crow, Eagles, Dockers, Lions, Suns, Power to play all their home games at their home ground the following year.

The double standard is a farce and shows that AFL to be the joke of an organisation that it is.

I have no issue with PF and GF at MCG when GFC play - but the QF situation that could eventuate here is not part of that.

And to suggest that we should be happy to take 8 home games at KP in place of a Final is ridiculous. We are entitled, as the home team, to 11 at KP and we can then choose to hold to 2 at the MCG.

Please understand - Im not having a crack at you - its just this issue if the GFC getting bent over by things like this pisses me off.

AS CS said, if its about the $$ and numbers, then say so - call it what it is - an uneven and unfair slanted competition and move on. Dont call it a fair, balanced and equitable structure then make us play in Melbourne for a "home" final.

Go Catters

Spot on Daz.

I am not sure why the MCC are demanding a certain amount finals games be played at the MCG anyway. They get 2-3 games there a week during the home and away anyway so to miss a weekend of finals shouldn't be an issue. If 4 interstate teams finish 1-2 and 5-6, there wouldn't be a game there. Quite possible under that scenario that there would be no prelims either!.

It is swings and roundabouts. Some years they would get 3 games a weekend of finals and others none. Just suck it up.

When Selwood had surgery, the club said he would be back running within three weeks.

He had surgery on Monday August 7, three weeks from that date is Monday August 28.

So if his recovery is tracking well I expect we will hear something about him returning to training next week.

He won't play again unless we get to prelim imo.

The right to play 9 home games at KP (and 2 at MCG) should not be bartered against with the right to a home final.
You dont see the AFL taking a home Final away from GWS, Swans, Crow, Eagles, Dockers, Lions, Suns, Power to play all their home games at their home ground the following year.

The double standard is a farce and shows that AFL to be the joke of an organisation that it is.

I have no issue with PF and GF at MCG when GFC play - but the QF situation that could eventuate here is not part of that.

And to suggest that we should be happy to take 8 home games at KP in place of a Final is ridiculous. We are entitled, as the home team, to 11 at KP and we can then choose to hold to 2 at the MCG.

Please understand - Im not having a crack at you - its just this issue if the GFC getting bent over by things like this pisses me off.

AS CS said, if its about the $$ and numbers, then say so - call it what it is - an uneven and unfair slanted competition and move on. Dont call it a fair, balanced and equitable structure then make us play in Melbourne for a "home" final.

Go Catters

I loved that from CS in his presser. He's stared down the AFL on these issues whenever it arises and I love him for it.

Spot on Daz.

I am not sure why the MCC are demanding a certain amount finals games be played at the MCG anyway. They get 2-3 games there a week during the home and away anyway so to miss a weekend of finals shouldn't be an issue. If 4 interstate teams finish 1-2 and 5-6, there wouldn't be a game there. Quite possible under that scenario that there would be no prelims either!.

It is swings and roundabouts. Some years they would get 3 games a weekend of finals and others none. Just suck it up.

For some reason out of all the non-melbourne based teams, it's Geelongs responsibility to provide a game at the MCG.

Go Catters

Thanks dazbroncos, I appreciate your bolded txt and clear opinion and was shocked to receive a response from you on my first crack at posting (just been reading for a long time).

For what it is worth I 98% agree with you too... but I simply believe that it is what is going on, wrongly or righty the AFL are keeping us, up their sleeve for a Melbourne week one final option - I reckon they want some footy in Melbourne, for that week and that's why they will not make an announcement yet.

They seem to strive for the greater good in my experiences, but I think integrity and fairness is the greatest good off all and it should come before promotion and revenues, let's hope Geelong win this weekend and I'm way wrong and they get Kardinia for the W1 final.

Also I feel that other teams not just Geelong can get unfairly dealt with too. Pretty sure I did fly in for a game where another club had a home final unfairly taken away.... I recall Brisbane when they were striving for a fourth successive premiership got the rough end off the stick. They had a home final game moved to MCC which conflictincted with an AFL rule at the time which said that the top two teams - should they directly move through to the preliminary final - get to host the game in their home city. On top off that the AFL even compounded the disadvantage to the Lions by scheduling that final as a night game and provided Brisbane one day less to prepare for the grand final, than Port were given.... The rest is history now.

I'm hoping for this over the next two weeks

This week

INS Hawkins Lang

OUTS Simpson Z Guthrie

Possible ins for qualifying final

Group of blicvas cockatoo stanley Ruggles parfitt

I personally don't think selwood will be ready in time..will play in week 2 or week 3 depending on the result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be surprised if Blicavs plays this week to be honest. If he does then Buzza would definitely go out of the side because Hawkins takes over from the forward time Buzza was having, and Blicavs takes over from the ruck time Buzza was having.

It'd be good timing if Blitz does return this week, may not have an amazing game in his return but good to feel the intensity & pressure of footy again before having a week off to rest up again before a big Qualifying Final.

Then Joel returns for the Qualifying Final, possibly Cocky too but that's far more unlikely.

For this week I'm thinking something like:
Out - Simpson (omitted), Z. Guthrie (omitted), Buzza (omitted).
In - Parfitt, Blicavs, Hawkins.

*Parfitt over Simpson makes sense, both in their first seasons but Parfitt has the bigger body + is already locked in our Best 22.
*Z. Guthrie has been steadily improving but I still don't think he's in our Best 22 this season at least, with him out we can then move Thurlow back a bit more, allowing Blitz to come in and play as a Wing/2nd Ruck.
*Hawkins for Buzza just makes sense, as impressive as Buzza was last week.
*I also wouldn't be surprised if we see someone like a Parsons/Murdoch managed (yes I know we have a week off after this anyway) and someone like a Cunico brought in for them.
*And of course there's always the chance Menz gets managed so he's as fresh as he can be for a finals series, in which case someone like a Lang can come in.

FB: Bews - Lonergan - Stewart
HB: Mackie - Henderson - Tuohy
C: C. Guthrie - Menegola - Duncan
HF: Parsons - Taylor - Murdoch
FF: Menzel - Hawkins - Parfitt
R: Smith - Dangerfield - S. Selwood
INT: Motlop, Thurlow, Kolodjashnij, Blicavs.
EMG: Cunico, Lang, Buzza/Stanley.

Thanks dazbroncos, I appreciate your bolded txt and clear opinion and was shocked to receive a response from you on my first crack at posting (just been reading for a long time).

For what it is worth I 98% agree with you too... but I simply believe that it is what is going on, wrongly or righty the AFL are keeping us, up their sleeve for a Melbourne week one final option - I reckon they want some footy in Melbourne, for that week and that's why they will not make an announcement yet.

They seem to strive for the greater good in my experiences, but I think integrity and fairness is the greatest good off all and it should come before promotion and revenues, let's hope Geelong win this weekend and I'm way wrong and they get Kardinia for the W1 final.

Also I feel that other teams not just Geelong can get unfairly dealt with too. Pretty sure I did fly in for a game where another club had a home final unfairly taken away.... I recall Brisbane when they were striving for a fourth successive premiership got the rough end off the stick. They had a home final game moved to MCC which conflictincted with an AFL rule at the time which said that the top two teams - should they directly move through to the preliminary final - get to host the game in their home city. On top off that the AFL even compounded the disadvantage to the Lions by scheduling that final as a night game and provided Brisbane one day less to prepare for the grand final, than Port were given.... The rest is history now.

Great post and I hope you continue to do so - and yes certainly nothing directed at you! :):thumbsu:

Akin to what CS has said - call the spade a spade. The Finals will be played where and when the AFL want - not based on ladder position earning home ground advantage. But come out and own that. Dont pussy foot around with the pretense of Top 4 meaning a home final.

Again, I totally get the business of the PF and the GF. But Wk 1 - spare me AFL.

GO Catters

Please understand - Im not having a crack at you - its just this issue of the GFC getting bent over by things like this pisses me off.

Go Catters

I was always angry about us losing a home game in 2014 after the final at Kardinia Park in 2013, because we did not ask for a home final, we got awarded it because 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th were all Vic sides, Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond who had all finished above Collingwood requested the MCG final, which meant Collingwood would have to play at Etihad and Eddie would have a meltdown. So to allow Collingwood to have an MCG final, they awarded the Geelong final to us.

Yet us, not Collignwood had to reimburse Etihad Stadium for the game.

I was always angry about us losing a home game in 2014 after the final at Kardinia Park in 2013, because we did not ask for a home final, we got awarded it because 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th were all Vic sides, Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond who had all finished above Collingwood requested the MCG final, which meant Collingwood would have to play at Etihad and Eddie would have a meltdown. So to allow Collingwood to have an MCG final, they awarded the Geelong final to us.

Yet us, not Collignwood had to reimburse Etihad Stadium for the game.
Yeah.. and the best bit was the revenue hit the club took for it. AFL takes the $$ for Finals. GFC didnt get that - and then we took in the shorts on the lost revenue for the lost "home" game that left KP and went to Etihad.

AFL equalisation LOL

GO Catters

Yeah.. and the best bit was the revenue hit the club took for it. AFL takes the $$ for Finals. GFC didnt get that - and then we took in the shorts on the lost revenue for the lost "home" game that left KP and went to Etihad.

AFL equalisation LOL

GO Catters

Then on top of all that IIRC we had to pay one of the biggest slices of the equalisation tax pie. Makes sense, right? :rolleyes:

Then on top of all that IIRC we had to pay one of the biggest slices of the equalisation tax pie. Makes sense, right? :rolleyes:
Biggest % input based on profit made..

Pumped again...

GO Catters

Given Blicavs is a chance this week

INS: Hawkins, Blicavs, Parfitt
OUTS: Buzza, Simpson, Zuthrie

Would be happy to see Ruggles come in too, but not sure who I'd drop for him.

Probably thurlow would be next out if you went that way. Thurlow would go out for Joel for the QF anyway probably.

I'm hoping for this over the next two weeks

This week

INS Hawkins Lang

OUTS Simpson Z Guthrie

Possible ins for qualifying final

Group of blicvas cockatoo stanley Ruggles parfitt

I personally don't think selwood will be ready in time..will play in week 2 or week 3 depending on the result

I think it would actually be good for us to play 1 or 2 finals without Selwood, Guthrie has lifted a lot with the extra workload required without Joel around and Murdoch and Motlop in the Richmond game showed they are capable of leading by example when they don't have a Selwood to hide behind, if they could have a solid performance in finals it may give those 3 the confidence they need to hit the same heights that Duncan has reached, if they're all firing in finals and then we add Joel we could easily nab a premiership.

I think it would actually be good for us to play 1 or 2 finals without Selwood, Guthrie has lifted a lot with the extra workload required without Joel around and Murdoch and Motlop in the Richmond game showed they are capable of leading by example when they don't have a Selwood to hide behind, if they could have a solid performance in finals it may give those 3 the confidence they need to hit the same heights that Duncan has reached, if they're all firing in finals and then we add Joel we could easily nab a premiership.
Can't say I agree. I want Selwood in every final available...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back