Preview Round 3: Essendon vs St Kilda, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30/03/24 @ 4:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT: Davey, Menzie, 2MP
IN: Parish, Redman, Kelly

Team;-

Kelly McKay McGrath
Redman Lav Martin
Durham Parish Duursma
Perkins Cox Caldwell
Stringer Langford Gresham

Draper Setterfield Merrett

Bench: Tsatas Hobbs Heppell Goldy
SUB: Hind

Notable absentees: Reid, Ridley, Shiel, Caddy, 2MP - thats whole spine right there..!!

I wonder if it would be worth trying Kelly at FF/Forward pocket to try and get more forward pressure. His biggest flaw seems his desire to slow play everything but if he’s close to goal that’s less of an issue. Just needs to get it between the sticks.

anyway I’m going to keep championing the Caldwell to HB move.

Kelly Mckay Mcgrath
Redman Cox Caldwell
Martin Setters Merrett
Drapes, Parish Perkins
Durham, Caddy, Stringer
Gresham Langford Guelfi

IC: Hepp, Hobbs, Tsatas, Goldy
Sub: Menzie

OUT: Davey, Menzie, 2MP
IN: Parish, Redman, Kelly

Team;-

Kelly McKay McGrath
Redman Lav Martin
Durham Parish Duursma
Perkins Cox Caldwell

Draper Setterfield Merrett

Bench: Tsatas Hobbs Heppell Goldy

Notable absentees: Reid, Ridley, Shiel, Caddy, 2MP - thats whole spine right there..!!
Like this.

Caldwell, Parish, Perk & Merrett may need some minutes forward of centre.

Hind has been a good sub in the past. People have him out of the team but with Saints speed I can't see it.

I'd prefer a smaller dynamic forward line with a bit more pressure to stop the ball pinging back out. No doubt there will be a resting ruckman anyway in Draper or Goldstein, so throw Davey into the forward line I reckon. That would be something like:

Davey Draper Stringer
Gresham Langford Menzie
I was thinking similar and scrub the ball forward if nobody is open or on a decent lead. Last year Wilkie and Battle marked the ball at will coming into our forward line so would be nice to limit that.

Some would say scrubbing the ball forward is our 1 wood so it seems to play to our strengths 😅

I'd go in with a smaller forward line rather than rush Jones or Caddy in sooner than we should.

We spent half of 2023 with Langford & the resting ruck as the main talls. Less height but more pressure against a saints HB line that loves to run.

Last edited:
I'd go in with a smaller forward line than rush Jones or Caddy in sooner they we should.

We spent half of 2023 with Langford & the resting ruck as the main talls. Less height but more pressure against a saints HB line that loves to run.
Flip was a decent presence fwd. its not really something id say Goldy is good at.
Unless we sit draper fwd and use him as relief ruck only.

Davey - Langford - Gresham
Stringer - Draper - Menzie
w/ mids sitting fwd.

This probably works if you sit Merrett and Martin on the wings so we have some elite passes i50 coming in.

Flip was a decent presence fwd. its not really something id say Goldy is good at.
Unless we sit draper fwd and use him as relief ruck only.

Davey - Langford - Gresham
Stringer - Draper - Menzie
w/ mids sitting fwd.

This probably works if you sit Merrett and Martin on the wings so we have some elite passes i50 coming in.

In lieu of bringing in Caddy then I reckon Goldy / Draper swapping up forward is probably the better option than bringing in Jones or Weideman right now. Draper actually throws his weight around and can take the forward 50 ruck contests, let Goldy cover the bulk of the rest of the ruck work. Jones needs a spell in the VFL to build confidence and get his timing right, and Weideman has probably had the chances he's going to have.

In lieu of bringing in Caddy then I reckon Goldy / Draper swapping up forward is probably the better option than bringing in Jones or Weideman right now. Draper actually throws his weight around and can take the forward 50 ruck contests, let Goldy cover the bulk of the rest of the ruck work. Jones needs a spell in the VFL to build confidence and get his timing right, and Weideman has probably had the chances he's going to have.
im done with both tbh
priority 1 this year should be a marking KPF.
stringer, wright and langford will hold us in stead for another 3-4. Caddy ideally cracking in as Stringer's career comes to a close.

Agree for this week. Either give Caddy a taste or it's the rucks with Langford and Stringer...and Cox swinging fwd.

Saints are missing Crouch now with a knee injury, Liam Henry injured, Max King should be rubbed out if there is any justice in the world.

If that pre season smacking they gave us showed they knew how to play against us well, maybe we will be better prepared this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints are missing Crouch now with a knee injury, Liam Henry injured, Max King should be rubbed out if there is any justice in the world.

If that pre season smacking they gave us showed they knew how to play against us well, maybe we will be better prepared this time.
Wood, Howard and Webster all out as well. No excuses this week....well ok Ridley.....oh yes and 2MP

im done with both tbh
priority 1 this year should be a marking KPF.
stringer, wright and langford will hold us in stead for another 3-4. Caddy ideally cracking in as Stringer's career comes to a close.

Agree for this week. Either give Caddy a taste or it's the rucks with Langford and Stringer...and Cox swinging fwd.
👍
Cox could be the utility ace on the pack. My boy can get forward to help out as another tall.

Max King suspension upheld.

OUT: Tsatas, Heppell, Wright
IN: Parish, Redman, Caddy

Team;-

Cox McKay McGrath
Redman Lav Martin
Durham Parish Merrett
Davey Caddy Menzie

Draper Setterfield Perkins

Bench: Durrsma Hobbs Caldwell Goldy

I'll be happy with a solid four quarter showing. Don't think we have the squad to match it with the Saints who look top 4 bound, but hope springs eternal.

If it wasn't for the fact both Draper and Goldy are looking up and about, and we'll likely need them both to try and quell Marshall's influence, you'd almost be tempted to play a sole ruck and add an extra bit of speed to the 23. Eventually we'll need to rest Goldy but I don't think it'll be this week.

I know Scott is a conservative at selection table but I hope he gives Caddy a run at it. Has a real crack and candidly he'll develop better in the AFL team having Merrett and Martin hitting him lace-out rather than battling in the magoos. If we pick plodders like Weid and Kelly for this match we're sunk.

OUT: Wright, Laverde, Menzie, Hind
IN: Caddy, Redman, Parish, Ridley

Heppell McKay McGrath
Redman Cox Ridley
Durham Perkins Martin
Merrett Caddy A.Davey

Draper Setterfield Parish

Bench: Goldstein, Durrsma, Hobbs, Caldwell
SUB: Tsatas

Status
Not open for further replies.