Autopsy Round 5, 2020: Hawthorn falls in a heap against the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Win next week and we're 4-2 having played the top 5 teams from last year.

This week was disappointing but not every week do U get 11 htb to 1 and your opponent kicks every single set shot.

If we can't beat our bunnies in the Pies then I'll worry.
Start worrying mate

We don’t play that ground well, but the Pies do

If we were at the MCG I’d be relatively confident

I reckon we should also remember that we traveled up on the day which included a 45 minute bus ride after a 70 minute flight.

Game was frustrating and we need to make some changes, but we're still not near the doomsday position so many are painting us to be in. I think in five weeks we'll have had 3-4 more wins (hopefully) and have just as many different players in the side (Impey, Cj, & Finn can all come in and seriously add some speed to our side).

Jones also showing that he has poise and can cop a tackle and dish it em out too- I'm pretty sure he was one that was awarded a HTB. 11 disposals at 100% efficiency is a solid first crack against such a strong midfield oppo

Sky's falling.

3-2. Tough draw. Would have taken it any day of the week.

s**t performance but the maggots didn't help us out one bit. Lewis looks underdone but delivery is shocking.

Our movement going forward for the last 3 seasons has been diabolical.

They broke down at half forward way too easily. I thought the clearance work was okay but there were too many rushed kicks into a forward line that looked hopeless. Tim O'Brien had a shocker and has to go. If Clarko is going to persist with two rucks, rest them forward! The Big Boy is a great contested mark and with Wingard having a great year, he'll at least bring it to ground and give him a chance.

Not sure who was commenting about the whole metres gained stats Smith v Henderson...
But people looking into that stat need to understand how garbage it is. Champion data has only 2 GWS players gaining any metres in the last quarter, which I find extremely hard to believe lol.
Pretty common occurrence if you filter it on the AFL app too, regularly 1 or 2 players only gaining metres.
same deal with hit outs to advantage, both real averagely taken stats that for some reason people get a hard on over.

Just watched replay. We were beaten by a better side, pretty simple. You can't have 5 or 6 players who are not up to the standard. Obrien, Lewis, Henderson, Puopolo etc. But no excuse.

Plus also watched Clarko's presser and he just looks spent..as in he is up against the 2 low life morons (Gill and Hocking) who are doing there best to ruin the game and there is no support from the other coaches.

Can someone please tell me how that F..ktard Hocking has a position of leadership? Couldn't run the change in his pocket let alone run the AFL.

That doesn't make them a top side though
They are currently 3rd . They've had a soft draw but the facts are we have played two current top sides who handled us easily .

Its more about us rather then them and yes I dont rate them super high

Not sure who was commenting about the whole metres gained stats Smith v Henderson...
But people looking into that stat need to understand how garbage it is. Champion data has only 2 GWS players gaining any metres in the last quarter, which I find extremely hard to believe lol.
Pretty common occurrence if you filter it on the AFL app too, regularly 1 or 2 players only gaining metres.
same deal with hit outs to advantage, both real averagely taken stats that for some reason people get a hard on over.
I was on the saying metres grained is a s**t stat because you can just hack it to nowhere turn it over and it counts as metres gained

Just watched replay. We were beaten by a better side, pretty simple. You can't have 5 or 6 players who are not up to the standard. Obrien, Lewis, Henderson, Puopolo etc. But no excuse.

Plus also watched Clarko's presser and he just looks spent..as in he is up against the 2 low life morons (Gill and Hocking) who are doing there best to ruin the game and there is no support from the other coaches.

Can someone please tell me how that F..ktard Hocking has a position of leadership? Couldn't run the change in his pocket let alone run the AFL.

Absolutely baffling he still has a job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it sucks when our team loses, but it's not an excuse to start getting huffy with your fellow supporters. Any of McEvoy, Sicily, Frawley or Frost could mark Cox when he's in such terrible form. We have far worse to fear from the Pies forward line.

I’m glad you mentioned this cause it’s one of my pet peeves about BigFooty. There are some here that probably need some other hobbies outside of footy IMO. I’m a pretty diehard tragic Hawk fan but I’m not the type to start losing my shite and take it out on others.

GWS didn't monster us. They arsed it in front of goal. You aren't going to get a team kick so accurately ever again from so few entries. Even in our accurate days of 2013-15 We went about 60%

As for the game;

Smith appeared to be a man on a mission, and looked a little selfish. Tried way too hard

Lots of potting obrien, but simply, he was really well held by I think it was Davis. He was made accountable. And it took him until halfway through the last quarter to figure it out. He had a poor game for sure, but itbwasnt entirely his own doing.

Puopolo has lost his pace. Provides no defensive pressure any more.

Henderson hasn't looked right since coming back from lockdown - rd 1 he was good

3 injuries certainly didn't help our cause

Hocking is incompetent. Pure and simple.

The fact he can't do his job objectively is testament to this. His history with Hawthorn goes back a looong way as we all know. Never a chance we'll get a balanced, objective outcome from him when we're involved.

Note the increase in HTB this past weekend. We make 49 tackles and only get 1 paid HTB. GWS have 10 HTB paid to them. Now, you cannot tell me there wasn't a directive from Hocking himself to a) raise the number of HTB decisions but b) not for Hawthorn.

Before anyone comes back at me and says the AFL is not discriminating against Hawthorn (and probably a couple of other sides), how can one justify the stat raised in the above paragraph?

Hocking is a POS s**t. Look at the fixture for Geelong and then compare it to the Hawks since Round 2.

Geelong
Round 2: Home
Round 3: Home
Round 4: Away
Round 5: Home
Round 6: Home
Round 7: Home

5 homes games and 1 away game

Hawthorn
Round 2: Away
Round 3: Away
Round 4: Home
Round 5: Away
Round 6: Away

2 home games and 4 away games.

:$:thumbsu:

Hocking is incompetent. Pure and simple.

The fact he can't do his job objectively is testament to this. His history with Hawthorn goes back a looong way as we all know. Never a chance we'll get a balanced, objective outcome from him when we're involved.

Note the increase in HTB this past weekend. We make 49 tackles and only get 1 paid HTB. GWS have 10 HTB paid to them. Now, you cannot tell me there wasn't a directive from Hocking himself to a) raise the number of HTB decisions but b) not for Hawthorn.

Before anyone comes back at me and says the AFL is not discriminating against Hawthorn (and probably a couple of other sides), how can one justify the stat raised in the above paragraph?

You know'll there'll be crickets from his mouthpiece Whately too

Last edited:
We can all speculate on the ins and outs as much as we like however what concerns me the most is our transition of the football in the forward half of the ground. Our kicking inside 50 is VERY average at best and our forwards inability to work together and create space for each other is also of great concern.

I am unaware as to who our forwards coach is however we have struggled to kick a winning score for quite some time now. We look very defensive minded in the way we play. Very disciplined with our defensive work as a team, very poor with our ability to transition the football and use the football intelligently moving forward.

We continue to bomb the football inside 50 with no real purpose. Our forwards are stagnant, they create a pack situation which vary rarely results in a contested mark to a forward. Our forwards need to work harder and smarter. They need to start creating space for each other and isolate their opponents. Furthermore we need to start LEADING!! Lead and command the football. This is the only way someone like Jack Gunston will kick goals. Gunston will rarely win a one on one contest with his opponent, not strong enough. Same goes for the likes or Lewis & O'Brien - our forwards are not physical, they do not play physical and do not command the footy.

In order to give our forwards an opportunity to work smarter and create space, the midfield needs to start transitioning the ball quicker. Quicker ball movement and running. I want to see Smith and in particular Scully run into positions which will allow the game to be broken open. Something we have missed since Brad Hill departed. If we use the football quicker and we enter our 50 without the opposition flooding back, we give ourselves a better opportunity to score. It is absolutely ridiculous that we had 12 more inside 50s than GWS and 4 fewer scoring shots.

As for personnel, I see too many soft players. James Sicily is a defender that does not defend. Stratton was back to his laughing ways and only concerned about his opponent rather than offering more team defence support. O'Brien had his worst game for quite some time and Lewis was running as quick as Roughead did last season. Both O'Brien and Lewis played soft and both clearly look like they are not worried about their position in the side.

A decision needs to be made with McEvoy and Ceglar. Our mids look more comfortable when McEvoy is in the ruck. Playing McEvoy in defence spells danger when the ball hits the ground. Far too slow and not agile for defence. He may read the ball well to take an intercept mark however that is Sicily's role.

If the club decides to play both Ceglar and McEvoy, then the solution is both will need to alternate between ruck and full forward. I would rather see McEvoy up forward and create a focal point than O'Brien or Lewis. If Patton comes in for Lewis (injured), then either O'Brien or Ceglar go out. We are too tall.

Finally, Worpel needs to improve on decision making and his ability to influence the midfield contest. I am not seeing the Worpel of 2019 this season. Henderson has been serviceable and a good acquisition during the last couple of seasons however a decision needs to be made. He is not the future and I would much rather see the development of a Maginness or Cousins in place of him.

Yep fair call. We have some real dour butchers down there with Stratton Frawley and Frost.

Mick Hartley is the answer. His kicking is up there with Sicily and Henderson. Plus he can play on a monster.

Play Sicily higher up on a wing drifting into defence (he doesn’t play on a direct opponent anyhow)

Hardwick Hartley Stratton
Henderson Frawley Scully

R: McEvoy (rest forward and swap with whomever survives out of O’Brien/Ceglar)

I: Frost - to rotate with the defensive talls

Hocking is a POS sh*t. Look at the fixture for Geelong and then compare it to the Hawks since Round 2.

Geelong
Round 2: Home
Round 3: Home
Round 4: Away
Round 5: Home
Round 6: Home

5 homes games and 1 away game

Hawthorn
Round 2: Away
Round 3: Away
Round 4: Home
Round 5: Away
Round 6: Away

2 home games and 4 away games.

:$:thumbsu:

This has really annoyed me also. Cats have snuck in 3 genuine home games at Kardinia since the restart (out of 4 possible) while we have had zippo. Cant count our home game at Marvel against a Marvel tenant. That is as good as a genuine away game.

We've had not a single home game at the G since R1 and now with the travel issues wont get one for half this season at absolute best. We will probably end the season being the side that has had the least number of home games at their actual home ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back