Review Round 5 vs. Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I do wonder why some players make errors and some want them out but others "due to their apparent upside" can makes errors all day but they need time.

That being said I don't know what changes we could make this week to improve much so probably just go with the same 22

I do wonder why some players make errors and some want them out but others "due to their apparent upside" can makes errors all day but they need time.

That being said I don't know what changes we could make this week to improve much so probably just go with the same 22

Happy with that, but I wouldn't mind seeing Bailey Williams get a chance instead of Biggs (form) or Moyd (rested)

Webb, Williams, Daniel all better options than Jong for GWS.

Reality is Jongs chasing was worse than his goalkicking, fumbling and handball to stationary players this week.

He was ok for a couple of games but you either deliver or you don't and he did not.

Smith would be lucky to play next week and would Suckling.

Webb, Williams, Daniel all better options than Jong for GWS.

Reality is Jongs chasing was worse than his goalkicking, fumbling and handball to stationary players this week.

He was ok for a couple of games but you either deliver or you don't and he did not.

Smith would be lucky to play next week and would Suckling.

I'm making zero commoners about Jong getting dropped go if I do some just say it's Coz I don't like him.

How people can not see the correlation better average footballers having a bigger part in our midfield to us not playing well astounds me.

Hopefully the MC start playing the players that will help us in September and not blokes people hope make it to suit their own personal agendas.

If we don't play best 22 we will lose 5 or 6 of the next 7

Finally got to watch the replay. I thought JJ was very good. His pace was outstanding, he split the game open quite a few times and his 35 m passes are pinpoint when he has time enough to get balanced. I know he makes a few mistakes but its moderate risk/high reward with JJ and he really knows how to take the game on. He's the bloke Jongy should be modelling himself on.

I thought Toyd was nowhere near as bad as some were saying. He did some nice things around the ground and at throw-ins. Some of them wouldn't register as stats but he competed well.

I also thought Campbell had an OK game, mainly in the first half. Did he spend a fair bit of the second half on the bench again? Is it something to do with Campbell himself (eg fitness, form) or is it just that Bev likes the balance better with more mediums and smalls out there?

Who here sits on Level 2?

Around Aisle 27/28 there was a guy there today with a drum really getting the crowd in that section going. It's a massive drum and I assumed he would have received approval to bring it into the stadium and use it. It was great and something we need more of. Is he there every home game?

During the 4th quarter security stepped in and I assume said the drum is off limits to the disagreement of the crowd in that area. Not sure what the issue with the drum was but I'll be disappointed if it doesn't continue.

I don't sit in the aisle but pretty close. The guy has just started to bring the drum this season but i love the sound it adds to the chants they get going. He also brings chocolates and hands them out to kids and anyone else that wants some so for the security team to try and remove him was pretty disgraceful.
Guy never hurts a fly or upsets anyone so the random big cheer people may have heard was when he reappeared. Seemed without the drum though :(

I don't sit in the aisle but pretty close. The guy has just started to bring the drum this season but i love the sound it adds to the chants they get going. He also brings chocolates and hands them out to kids and anyone else that wants some so for the security team to try and remove him was pretty disgraceful.
Guy never hurts a fly or upsets anyone so the random big cheer people may have heard was when he reappeared. Seemed without the drum though :(

Just while we are bagging Etihad staff - would it kill them to put some one who knows something, anything, about football in charge of the replays! They never show the key plays or acts that lead to the goal just the guy who puts it through.

As much as I'm not denying Zaine played a solid game, I actually think off-the-ball he was responsible for a few of those 1st half over-the-top goals. He looked like he was getting lost a fair bit and his positioning behind the ball at times showed me he was almost confused at having to play the 2nd defender role without one of Morris and Adams back there.

One Adams moved back (obviously) our defence improved by goals per inside 50 and Cordy played an excellent second half, (as did Roberts improving), where Cordy seems like he played better because he was that 3rd defender role.

I think the experiment of taking Adams out of the defence won't last just because Cordy doesn't have the ability to play the 2nd defender role to hold up structures with his inexperience just yet, given that he's played the majority of his games at AFL level as a forward.
I disagree with Zaine there. Even Bevo washed the backs of responsibility, blaming turn overs up the field.

Finally got to watch the replay. I thought JJ was very good. His pace was outstanding, he split the game open quite a few times and his 35 m passes are pinpoint when he has time enough to get balanced. I know he makes a few mistakes but its moderate risk/high reward with JJ and he really knows how to take the game on. He's the bloke Jongy should be modelling himself on.

I thought Toyd was nowhere near as bad as some were saying. He did some nice things around the ground and at throw-ins. Some of them wouldn't register as stats but he competed well.

I also thought Campbell had an OK game, mainly in the first half. Did he spend a fair bit of the second half on the bench again? Is it something to do with Campbell himself (eg fitness, form) or is it just that Bev likes the balance better with more mediums and smalls out there?

All points spot on Dogwatch.

Yep, pretty much what I said after the game. JJ had a good game, he brings us something that a lot of clubs don't have.

Boyd impressed me, as someone mentioned before he is a little slow and of course he made some mistakes, mainly in bodying one on one but he was a good contributer.

Yep, pretty much what I said after the game. JJ had a good game, he brings us something that a lot of clubs don't have.

Boyd impressed me, as someone mentioned before he is a little slow and of course he made some mistakes, mainly in bodying one on one but he was a good contributer.

At this stage I see Boyd as potentially a very good follower who can go forward a bit. Fair?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage I see Boyd as potentially a very good follower who can go forward a bit. Fair?
It really depends. He showed on Grand final day that he can play as a mobile marking option, which suggests he could play as a mobile half forward too. I still think his best position will be forward with some rucking but I guess it depends on how he develops and where we need him.

It really depends. He showed on Grand final day that he can play as a mobile marking option, which suggests he could play as a mobile half forward too. I still think his best position will be forward with some rucking but I guess it depends on how he develops and where we need him.

Until I see some signs that Tom can consistently mark on the lead I can't see him as a realistic option as a permanent fwd. he has shown he can mark the high ball from the opposition as per the GF. He can also run pretty hard from contest to contest, and possesses nice skills and a good brain.

Still early days. But id back him in to improve his tap work over his marking on the lead. Especially this year with that shoulder he seems to be protecting with some one handed marking attempts.

Until I see some signs that Tom can consistently mark on the lead I can't see him as a realistic option as a permanent fwd. he has shown he can mark the high ball from the opposition as per the GF. He can also run pretty hard from contest to contest, and possesses nice skills and a good brain.

Still early days. But id back him in to improve his tap work over his marking on the lead. Especially this year with that shoulder he seems to be protecting with some one handed marking attempts.
Looks promising regardless. He's got a footy brain and some great footskills for a big man.

Looks promising regardless. He's got a footy brain and some great footskills for a big man.

Agree.

A gun marking fwd would be nice though. The expectation that Boyd would be it is minimal for me now (and for the forseeable future) and a GF makes that loss of epxpectation easier to bear.

And Boyd certainly can play a highly effective following role IMO.

Followers who go forward a bit don't go pick 1 in the draft they are
rookie listed or late draft picks. Followers certainly don't attract
seven year deals at a million a year unless you are really saying
they got it totally wrong. Drafting rule 101 for drafting tall players;
Is he good because he is good or is he good because he is big.
Tom Boyd and Kieran Collins a perfect football match.

Out- Tom, In- Tim. It's Timmy time (so much leg speed).

Mathew Kreuzer doesn't like this post.

Boyd kicked three fine goals in the GF. He is a highly talented 21 yr old with plenty of development. I don't get your apparent angst.

you do realise that if Mummy flexes at the wrong time that he would snap poor Timmy in two - giving rise to the nickname Two Bit Timmy. Don't you like Timmy?

Last edited:

Give it a rest. Boring the first time.

Mathew Kreuzer doesn't like this post.

Boyd kicked three fine goals in the GF. He is a highly talented 21 yr old with plenty of development. I don't get your apparent angst.

you do realise that if Mummy flexes at the wrong time that he would snap poor Timmy in two - giving rise to the nickname Two Bit Timmy. Don't you like Tommy?
Matthew Kreuzer loves my post, i think Carlton are still trying to
figure out his best position and he is thirty in a few years.

You said Tom Boyd is a "Follower" don't put it back on me. I
have no angst against Tom at all he is typical of a big kid
who struggles to have the domination at senior level that
he enjoyed as a kid. If i was to put my talent identification
hat on i would say he is leg heavy and lacks upper body
strength at the moment due to several interrupted
preseasons.

Mummy vs Campbell, Timmy vs Lobb. I would like to try
Tim English mainly forward to see if his leg speed gives
us a different look, that's all.

Tom Boyd is like a son to me, a 350k to 450k son for three
years not a seven year son though still don't get that.

Just while we are bagging Etihad staff - would it kill them to put some one who knows something, anything, about football in charge of the replays! They never show the key plays or acts that lead to the goal just the guy who puts it through.

Yes, I hate looking up to the screen and all you see is someone put it through from just outside the goal square with none of the lead up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back