Autopsy Round 8 : Hawks strangle Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope all these low attendance excuses hold firm when we play Port Adelaide at UTas Stadium in a couple of weeks, or Fremantle and Brisbane in the middle/end of July.

I know, I know but but the Port game is on Saturday at 1.45pm. Well, guess what, that stops at least 2 of my clan going because my youngest daughter (who would likely prefer to watch the Hawks) has her netball game scheduled at 1.20pm in Hobart!

Quite frankly I'm sick of hearing all the crap about how attendances have dropped off at our Tasmanian games yet when we have a crap crowd at the MCG it seems there are legit excuses.

Great win yesterday BTW. I enjoyed it from my couch here in Hobart.

Speaking of crowds - saw a bloke in the crowd yesterday who was an absolute tank wearing a Hawks guernsey that said on the back ‘I ATE BRAD SEWELL’. Got a good laugh out of it - anybody know the backstory?

Speaking of crowds - saw a bloke in the crowd yesterday who was an absolute tank wearing a Hawks guernsey that said on the back ‘I ATE BRAD SEWELL’. Got a good laugh out of it - anybody know the backstory?

You mean this guy?

1557725648648.png

I actually set out to go. Got to the station and found buses were replacing trains on the Belgrave/Lilydale line. Would have arrived late and then, because of the late game time, would have got home sometime around 8pm. Decided to go back home and watch it on TV.

Perhaps AFL can include the train disruptions as a reason for our low attendances
Being on the Frankston line - most of April was difficult for attendance to matches.

My god what a game we played, we absolutely killed it. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall this week with Clarkson, he clearly had enough of the crap we dished up over the past few weeks and was out to set an example. You could tell from the very first contest the players were put on notice. The only way to follow through was to show them that the legends of our club aren't safe, dropping Roughead, Smith and even Wingard, Howe. We seemed to play a completely different way, trying to always find a target I50, chipping the ball through the centre of the ground etc, i can't remember the last time i saw us play this good that wasn't apart of our premiership years. Was a great win and the boys should be proud

As for this crowd debate, really? Yep I was there, but did not get there until Qtr time due to my young bloke having junior footy. Generally I find day games harder to get to as on Saturday I coach local footy and as stated, junior footy at various times Sunday.

See I live in Vic, not Melbourne, and I suspect we have a rather large membership base in the Gippsland region.

The Sunday 3:20 timeslot for families with kids and school next day etc is just bloody abhorrent when you factor in the drive time too for those of us outside the CBD and suburbs.

Yep, that's me MB.

I live in Traralgon, and would have loved to gone down to the game with my daughter, who's also a mad hawk, but being Mothers day it was never going to happen. Lunch with mum, then dinner with in-laws.

Also, it's a 2hr drive in more often than not, game goes for 2.5hrs, then 2hr trip home if you get a decent run out of the G. It's a big day. I try and get to as many as I can, but life does get in the way a lot. Especially with other sport commitments we have.

On the game, so much to like.

Firstly, it was hardly a clinical display. We had to battle and really work hard to keep them down. Our pressure was great across the ground, and we used the footy generally well.

Our defence was outstanding. Nice to see Stratton get into some form, keeping greene quiet. Frawley and TOB both played well and hopefully can get some continuity in their games. Allowing Sicily to roam is very important. Hardwick and Burgoyne were soldi early, with Impey moving back after half time. Lots of positives

Midfield, as noted above battled hard all day. There were times you could see it was mid to late pick midfielders against top 10 talent, but we worked harder when needed and scrapped admirably. Cousins played a very good game, and will hopefully back himself more the more he plays. Less shitty little handballs, more confidence in banging it forward. O'meara, didn't do a lot, but what he did was his usual class. 7 tackles and a goal, is a positive despite the small possie numbers. Shiels played really well, barring is calamitous effort in the goal square. And of course Big Boy and Cegs. Nice to see them taking their marks. Do that in the Saints game and we win. hard to see either out of the side.

Forwards. I thought Poppy was back to his harassing best, Gunston and Bruest class, and how nice is it to see Mitch Lewis taking contested marks up forward. Makes such a difference. Still struggling to kick 100pts which is a worry, but I guess if you can stop the opposition scoring, it's not as important.

Overall, a really impressive hard fought effort. Not sure the big rough comes back. Not sure how Wingard and Smith get back in too, but depending on Scrimshaw's injury and how Morrison's performance was viewed, there could be some interesting discussions at selection (Don't get me wrong, I expect both to walk back in if fit to do so, but hopefully there is some discussion had). Also hope we stick with Moore. Not doing a lot, but just figure we keep getting games into him

Crazy comment. We need the coin
like every other club.

If we are lucky enough to have a bunch of supporters that basically donate $200 a year then we are very lucky!!!!

When I was single and without kids then Thursday-Sunday bring it on I am there.

Priorities change and getting to a footy game sometimes is not priority one especially at 3.30 on a Sunday arvo when it is Mother’s Day .
The Roos v Cats game drew a very poor crowd. AFL fans are turning away in droves. Sunday late afternoon games a very difficult to attend with a young family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't understand the concern on attendances. We have been incredibly successful recently and people have given up a lot of other things to go and watch our team win. Isn't it therefore only natural that with our performance dropping and less likely to see us win, people decide to focus on some other commitments that they have sacrificed during our recent golden era?

Have to agree Topiary, a significant amount of our supporters are quite wealthy and would much rather watch us on TV in a trendy cafe in Camberwell than turn up to the game. Happy to pay their memberships every year but can't be arsed rocking up to support the team. Hate these type of supporters.

Would you rather we (and yup I am a Gold member who has just managed 2 games this year) don't pay up? I do so knowing I will only get to a handful of games

Apologies if me saying our crowd figures are deplorable felt like I was going after posters who had genuinely legitimate reasons for missing. I just worry that our claims to be one of the big Melbourne clubs are sometimes dismissed by the muppets at AFLHQ - and when other clubs outdraw us then we will continue to cop s**t draws like this year’s. I then really start to worry that when we do finally retreat from Tassie at some stage that the AFL will see fit to move a good portion of those new Melbourne home games to Superhero Stadium when I’d honestly rather pay the cheap plane fare and watch us in Launceston.

That was a horrible moment from Sicily. Running onto his left foot near the 50 (and with an opponent on his hammer) "cuz cuz cuz" :drunk:
Should never have called for the ball
Watch it again, Sicily was on his own. The only reason there was a person on his hammer was because it was a bad handball and the man on the mark was able to get to him.

A few observations:

1. Lowest crowd since that game against Port so many years ago. We were smart and booked a Mother's day lunch in Swan street, then a leisurely walk to the MCG - and my wife is a Hawks fan, so 2 birds with 1 stone.

2. Really strange that we had no 2008 heroes in the team. Plenty of youngsters to get excited about though. The crowd was pretty quiet early, but we made a lot of noise in the 3rd and 4th quarters, as people saw what was developing and happening in front of us.

3. The defensive pressure was manic: the Giants players barely had any possession without being harassed. I really expected it to fall off in the Last, but they were just brilliant to the final siren.

4. Special mention to Jarman Impey: apart from the massive pressure he put on the opposition, he was kicking goals then mopping up in the backline, and playing both positions like a veteran. And his pace is a huge part of that. He has taken some steps this year.

5. And my daughters spotted Ryan Shoenmakers and a few of the Box Hill Hawks a few rows in front of us, watching the game. Amazing how women can spot a tall, good-looking footballer in a crowd...

Go Hawks
I get confused for Schoey all the time. It’s quite embarrassing

In my dreams...😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back