Review Round 9, 2021 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly even if Cluery doesn't go out, Lycett ain't suspended and Butters, Houston and Duursma are all fit, I still don't think the result is much different. We keep putting our kicks forwards to 3 on 3 packs with no crumbers and the ball comes straight out.
Doesn't matter who is delivering the ball if that is the end result.
Throw in Marshalls brain fart and our lack of contested marking. Nothing will change.

They killed us on the spread.

Todd you are a forward. You have to be selfish and kick the goal instead of trying to pass it off.

Bonner and Farrell are not up to this standard but we have to play them at the moment considering who is out of the team.

You can't blame the first quarter

There was 1 pt in it at half time

They got control in the air and then subsequently the ground (Frederick needs to be better than that late where weightmam kicked the over the head) and the aerial supremacy was enough for them too get the upper hand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me it's now clear, we can't win the premiership this year. Melbourne, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Geelong, WCE, Richmond* are all ahead of us and I think my expectation now is somewhere around a 6-10th finish. With that there probably needs to be some thought about what our coaching team, list strategy and goals are for the remainder of the year. Our chance was last year and unfortunately things didn't turn out.

We tried tonight but just weren't good enough. An awful start along with some key moments probably cost us the game. I felt that the Bont push in the back, the Naughton dodgy free and Marshall making a howler all cost us dearly. But ultimately it was the players who let us down again, and more or less the same group of players who always let us down.

Rozee is just in awful form. Looks reasonable ball in hand, but can't win a contest and was embarrassed by Daniel. Should be dropped next week.

Ladhams started like s**t and somewhat redeemed himself after quarter time, but still has the same deficiencies as he has always had. Poor tap ruckman, poor mark, at times poor decision maker. Hayes is our future ruckman and should get the next 3 weeks to get a taste of AFL footy. Ladhams should spend the rest of the year in SANFL and be offloaded in the trade period.

Dixon was insipid for most of the game outside of a 5 minute period. This is Dixon, this is what he does. He's a mentally weak player who can't show up when there's something on the line. I don't think dropping him makes us better but he isn't the future.

Wines far and away our best. A few honourable performances, I thought Aliir, Bergman, Georgiades were OK. The rest mediocre to bad.

They killed us on the spread.

Todd you are a forward. You have to be selfish and kick the goal instead of trying to pass it off.

Bonner and Farrell are not up to this standard but we have to play them at the moment considering who is out of the team.
I thought Bonner was good and his left foot was a real asset

Last edited:
I said it in the game thread and will say it again.

I have stopped holding out hope that we are better than we are, because we are nothing more than a 5-8 side that got lucky last year.

Disappointing, but my arms were folded through 3 quarters of tonight. Only releasing briefly in the 2nd qtr.

I want a premiership, but this coach and squad doesn't have one in it. We need to find some good mids, and nail some draft picks, because this side isn't capable and we need to be building for the future which has some big gaps appearing.

The thing with Marshall is that dropping him to the seconds doesn't do any good.

It's not a lack of talent for him. He's just mentally weak. Scared shitless taking set shots. Basically never wants to take a shot at goal it explains why his leading is somewhat lackluster and why he basically never attacks the ball.

You need some mongrel to be a key forward, he has zero because he doesn't have confidence to be one.

Umm yeah, play seconds until you grow some balls.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing with Marshall is that dropping him to the seconds doesn't do any good.

It's not a lack of talent for him. He's just mentally weak. Scared shitless taking set shots. Basically never wants to take a shot at goal it explains why his leading is somewhat lackluster and why he basically never attacks the ball.

You need some mongrel to be a key forward, he has zero because he doesn't have confidence to be one.
When after 5 years in the AFL, you still have the physiqie of a grasshopper, you either need to be Justin Westhoff, or GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back