Autopsy Round 9 = Sydney 72-42 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree but my info is that it is definitely not 1 mil he is on, but still the money is huge and too much.

In a team sport like AFL you're much better getting an even spread of talent than one or two stars on ridiculous money. But then there's pressure to sign stars because they are better for marketing. But it you sign someone because you think they are a star and then they turn out not to be, you're in it deep. See the fire-sale at the end of last year.

Yeah i can see both sides of the story, i think Buckley's biggest flaw is requesting the wrong type of players, now Wrights on board and if he has full authority to select the list he wants i'd be happy giving Bucks another contract.

Though to be fair, I think Buckley was opposed to the Beams deal? Which let's face it, has turned into a nightmare. But I can see the argument at the time -- Beams might have got us a premiership if he wasn't a complete nut job.

Yeah i can see both sides of the story, i think Buckley's biggest flaw is requesting the wrong type of players, now Wrights on board and if he has full authority to select the list he wants i'd be happy giving Bucks another contract.
Bucks has had 10 years to get right the type of players he requires. Instead we have a much worse list than we started coaching. He can * off with everyone else who is responsible for this mess. Like the khmer rouge, this club can start at year zero again under a completely new coaching set up.

Last edited:
My God...not a coaching issue? I am speechless. How many more years do you wish to give bux before you decide it is a coaching issue??
I can't spare another decade of my life.
I don’t think you understand my post
Not defending Bux at all
Just pointing out the futility of doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result
Something needs to change and unfortunately that is the coaches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to stop getting so wound up after losses. We're rebuilding. Just accept it and make sure the kids get the chance to get experience so that starting 2023, they have 20-30 games under their belt not less than 5 that a lot of them have now.

Give any young players at least a block of 3 games. If they show something, keep them in for longer (e.g. Poulter/McCreery/Murphy/ Keane). If they don't, give them a chance to go back to VFL and dominate (E.g. Macrae/Henry). At least our young talent is consistently the best players in the VFL.

We then have Nick Daicos and Dib to come in this year. Nick should be the next A-grade midfield talent to replace Pendlebury, and Dib the small crumber we've been crying out for.

2022 draft we're likely to be bottom 3 again and hopefully there's lots of top end KPP forward talent in that draft (it's usually every second draft with most being taken last year and not much being talked about this year). We take a KPP that will hopefully have immediate impact like the King brothers plus a top end free agent and we'll be ready to attack 2023 again.

Oh and a whole new coaching panel with fresh ideas to look forward to.

When he hit the umpire in the back with that kick 😂. You just had to laugh.

He seems pretty lost when he can't handball the pill backwards.. good way to get a coupla of possessions and build up the stats.. pass the pill to Noble.. he'll pass it back to you with a dinky lil handball..

Fitting kids into an old system that hasn't worked enough, and under a coach who is not be sure about what he is doing, should not be allowed to continue for long. Keane looks alright, Cameron needs a mentor, guess what, there is not one, McCury tries, lays tackles, love that, doesn't have the polish yet, but he cracks in. They need better coaching at this early stage of their senior development.

Sidebottom, what happened to him? Is he still pissed?

Hickey showed up Grundy in terms of value for money. Not much else to say, apart from North's win made me smile a bit on an otherwise gloomy day.

Interstate trips in footy are always challenging at the best of times, let alone the worst of times. Collingwood made a fruitful start at the SCG against Sydney leading by 3 goals, before the Swans consigned the Magpies to another painful loss by 30 points (5 goals). For a period of time, Collingwood put pace on the game with continual ball movement allowing forwards to either mark or draw free kicks to have shots at goal. After that, Sydney made the adjustments where the Woods could not muster any magic with the footy in their hands. The Swans ensured the Magpies did not have any forwards leading at the ball carrier, and forced Collingwood's forwards to compete aerially in packs, where Sydney's defenders were quicker at reading the ball in-flight to take intercept marks or halve contests. The ball use in general play from the Magpies was inexplicably awful and atrocious with simple hit-ups by foot or hand missing regular targets coming out of defence, through the midfield, and across half-forward. The frequency of the amount of simple skill errors that Collingwood made on the day has dictated where the Pies have been for much of the 2021 season to this point in time. Desperate times do call for desperate measures. However, the Magpies will not be able to make decisions quickly on the profile of their list until the conclusion of the season, with the exception of week-to-week selections of the teams which will always evolve as we've always known.

The only categories that Collingwood won were from hit-outs by +12 (34 - 22), clearances were won by +12 (40 - 28), with centre clearances up by +5 (10 - 5), and +7 for stoppage clearances (30 - 23). Sydney won every other major category on the day. They won disposals by +32 (402 - 370), kicks were up by +29 (218 - 189), while handballs had a margin of +3 (84 - 81). Contested possessions were won by +4 (153 - 149), with uncontested possessions won by +33 (243 - 210), while intercept possessions had a gap of +7 (83 - 76). Uncontested marks were in Sydney's favour by +16 (74 - 58), with Contested Marks won by +10 (21 - 11), and +8 for Marks Inside 50 (12 - 4). Tackles were up by +13 (82 - 69), while Tackles Inside 50 were extraordinarily high with a differential of +18 (29 - 11), while the Swans had weight of supply of forward entries with a margin of +13 for Inside 50s (58 - 45).

Josh Daicos (28 disposals @ 64%, 182 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 17 handballs, 5 tackles, 2 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 centre clearances & 2 Inside 50s) continued his form with his ball-winning ability being prominent without being potent. Daicos is putting himself into a phone box a bit too much with the amount of handballs he is distributing, while he has not given himself time and space to kick the ball aggressively and effectively to the team's advantage. Find time and space to kick the ball well, Josh. With you as my main man (favourite player), I want you to rediscover your capabilities soon.

Steele Sidebottom (25 disposals @ 68%, 326 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 13 kicks, 12 handballs, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) was solid without being exemplary. Sidebottom was one of the chief culprits with his skill errors through the midfield, although he was relatively tidy as the game went longer. A mixed bag of lollies for Steele, which has occurred quite a lot this season where he has won the ball, but has not been exquisite with his skill execution compared to yesteryear.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (23 disposals @ 65%, 415 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 9 handballs, 10 marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) played his best game of the season by an absolute mile. Hoskin-Elliott thrived on the wing to be the conduit between half-back and half-forward to take marks, and continued to provide territory where very few of his teammates could manage on a day where everything dried up.

Brodie Grundy (17 disposals @ 59%, 165 metres gained, 14 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 27 hit-outs, 8 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 6 clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) competed fairly well throughout the game, but did not tear the match apart. Got little or no value from his ruck taps, clearance work and ball use. Grundy's marking remains his biggest weakness which he'll need to work on, especially when he plays as a forward.

Brayden Maynard (29 disposals @ 72%, 612 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 19 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 tackles, 2 Inside 50s & 10 Rebound 50s) had a game he would like to forget in a bit of a hurry. Maynard made simple skill errors which prevented the team from being able to generate transition into attack, which is normally Maynard's forte. 11 turnovers is not an acceptable number of errors I want to read from Maynard going forward. Being forced to play as a key defender on Lance Franklin may not have helped him either.

Chris Mayne (24 disposals @ 88%, 232 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 13 handballs, 7 marks, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements & 4 Rebound 50s) had a reasonable performance playing behind the ball in defence with his marking and ability to win the ball making him a solid contributor.

Jack Crisp (24 disposals @ 83%, 312 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 4 marks, 8 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) spent most of his time running through the midfield with stints across half-back. Crisp was the only player that was bold enough to take the game on with his running ability making him a viable option which wasn't used very often.

Scott Pendlebury (23 disposals @ 56%, 263 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 12 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 6 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) spent most of his time up forward before being swung into the midfield for much of the last quarter. Pendlebury was not able to find time and space to dispose the ball effectively, but stayed busy in helping the team score.

Jordan De Goey (15 disposals @ 67%, 200 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 7 score involvements & 2 goals) started the game like a house on fire with 2 early goals, much like his team in totality. Once the Magpies stopped using the ball effectively after quarter time, De Goey could not impact the game meaningfully for Collingwood to be in a position to forge ahead with the win, after the start that was conjured.

Collingwood's next game will be against Port Adelaide on May 23 at the MCG. The Power are a very powerful team that will be very difficult to quell. Impact the contest with intensity and vigour, Woods. Hitting simple targets in general play might also help the Magpies stay in this contest for four quarters. Next weekend will answer all of those permutations.

I have never seen a more unwatchable Collingwood team. They make my eyes hurt and bowels erupt.

I can’t bring myself to go to the footy and watch from fear I will hang myself from the top tier of the stand in despair.

There’s just no enjoyment with them at all.

I’m not going to the footy until the current coaching group is replaced.

Good old Mihocek looked like he had checked out today. People want rid of Grundy, is it possible he has actually checked out mentally too. Maybe he would gladly be traded provided he can get the same bucks.
Grundy has spoken about pre the review when the only message coming from the coaches was we must work harder and thus footy became a trudge. We switched to a more positive message of community hugs and shared experience and 2018 unfolded. I can't help but feel that we're back in trudge mode and the off season exposed the shallowness of the hugging message.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back