Strategy Rowey admits the club wasn’t honest at the presser

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowey has said a board meeting was held on Tuesday, decisions were made and there will be a massive press conference tomorrow.

I’m pretty sure they will admit CM was a mistake and won’t be continued with. If they don’t the board should be sacked.

Will they announce an external review into our fitness and footy operations?

Will they announce sackings?

Press Conference on a Saturday?

Edit: bloody hell Hemi and Azza beat me to it

giphy.gif

I occasionally throw a lure over here and see if I get any bites

Anyone else got an explanation for "a highly confronting - for some - ritual exercise" that would concern both players and coaches?

Mock mine, I don't care, but I'm not seeing an alternative explanation.

Ritual exercise - means in this sense, almost a cultural ritual, or regular exercise - and what's an exercise all males do regularly? I assume Woulfe wasn't making them all wipe their arse at the same time

Anyways :) I don't have disdain for Adelaide, in terms of wishing them ill, I just don't think they have it together mentally as a club, and they could do better. I'd like to see them do better. Any premierships won outside of Victoria are great premierships in my view.

Absolutely nobody jumped to the same conclusion as you. Time for you to * off.

No you're a flat earther because something has been proven and you're still trying to say it's rubbish and hanging onto an antiquated idea regardless of the idiocy of it. There isn't going to be some discovery that meditation is ineffective in the same way that there won't be a discovery that earth is actually flat.

There is so much evidence it's ridiculous and, like I said, no dickhead is going to provide you with a thesis to tell you why the earth is round. Just Google it yourself.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=peer+reviewed+scientific+evidence+meditation

This was one of the first articles listed, shortly after a link to buddhaweekly

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...as-not-shown-that-meditation-beats-a-placebo/

No, considering my education is business related, you'll have to enlighten me on how a placebo-control could be designed for meditation. What would the placebo treatment be?

Aren’t you suggesting that meditation has been scientifically proven to produce results that exceed those expected from placebo

This is a fairly ludicrous position if it is your contention also that placebo cannot be controlled for

Rowey has said a board meeting was held on Tuesday, decisions were made and there will be a massive press conference tomorrow.

I’m pretty sure they will admit CM was a mistake and won’t be continued with. If they don’t the board should be sacked.

Will they announce an external review into our fitness and footy operations?

Will they announce sackings?

Will they announce the new employment of another AFC experienced past-player ?

Secondly an interesting quote from JJ he said (paraphrasing here), that after the GF they all went their separate ways, (holidays), but he said he would have liked to get together as a group as that was when they needed each other the most after the GF loss. I actually agree, there would have been a world of emotions to cope with after being favourite, topping the ladder and then that loss... Can’t believe they didn’t do it.

Well, they did get together eventually, to abuse the * out of each other and destroy relationships, that is.

Aren’t you suggesting that meditation has been scientifically proven to produce results that exceed those expected from placebo

This is a fairly ludicrous position if it is your contention also that placebo cannot be controlled for

No, my contention is that it is scientifically proven. I'm not the one positing that it needs to be with a placebo control. I find that problematic in itself and I'm genuinely interested in what the placebo treatment would be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me get this straight,

We're using the scientifically accepted existence of the placebo effect (the positive power of the mind on health outcomes) to argue that meditation (the power of the mind) has no scientifically accepted positive effect on health outcomes?

Righto.

No we're arguing that if meditation is ONLY a placebo effect they're better off giving the players a sugar pill that they say will help with nerves during big games.

Certainly a sugar pill wouldn't have caused the issues we've had atm. Wouldn't have wasted money out of our football department cap that could have gone to a half decent strength and conditioning coach either.

No, my contention is that it is scientifically proven. I'm not the one positing that it needs to be with a placebo control. I find that problematic in itself and I'm genuinely interested in what the placebo treatment would be.

Easy.

Give them a pill and describe the effects as mirroring what you're testing to see if meditation accomplishes.

Get them to do some other mental exercise.

Get them to do some muscle relaxation exercises.

Get them to do literally anything you can plausibly convince them could do what you're testing for.

It's not hard, tbh I'm actually wondering if you even properly understand what a placebo is.

No we're arguing that if meditation is ONLY a placebo effect they're better off giving the players a sugar pill that they say will help with nerves during big games.

Certainly a sugar pill wouldn't have caused the issues we've had atm. Wouldn't have wasted money out of our football department cap that could have gone to a half decent strength and conditioning coach either.

Yeah because having a playing group that believes that they need to be drugged to stay calm during big games would be heaps way better than having a playing group try meditation.

Yeah because having a playing group that believes that they need to be drugged to stay calm during big games would be heaps way better than having a playing group try meditation.
Could be a sugar pill

Could be wearing red undies

Could be listening to the same Kanye song before a game

Relevant point is, is meditation an actual identifiable advantage or is it no more helpful than superstitious routines that have no base in science?

Don't call it a drug, say its a herbal supplement. or a vitamin.

Or what Doederino said.

I'd argue the players (or really anyone) would be more likely to experience the placebo effect with meditation compared to a fake pill.

It's not a yes/no answer as to whether it's proven or not. This is a summary of the findings of a well respected centre (John Hopkins Uni) who reviewed the literature and would know a lot more about this than anyone here. Placebo controlled trials are not really applicable as they would be with a drug trial but comparison with control groups using standard treatments for a given condition (eg cognitive therapy, drugs etc) would be relatively straightforward.

After reviewing 18 753 citations, we included 47 trials with 3515 participants. Mindfulness meditation programs had moderate evidence of improved anxiety (effect size, 0.38 [95% CI, 0.12-0.64] at 8 weeks and 0.22 [0.02-0.43] at 3-6 months), depression (0.30 [0.00-0.59] at 8 weeks and 0.23 [0.05-0.42] at 3-6 months), and pain (0.33 [0.03- 0.62]) and low evidence of improved stress/distress and mental health–related quality of life. We found low evidence of no effect or insufficient evidence of any effect of meditation programs on positive mood, attention, substance use, eating habits, sleep, and weight. We found no evidence that meditation programs were better than any active treatment (ie, drugs, exercise, and other behavioral therapies).
JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(3):357-368. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.13018

Despite the thousands of articles, they only found 47 that they considered well designed, with modest improvement in anxiety, depression and pain but not better than controls using standard treatments for these conditions.

Last edited:
I'd argue the players (or really anyone) would be more likely to experience the placebo effect with meditation compared to a fake pill.

It's all about how much they believe it same as any other placebo.

The point is it doesn't matter what you give them or get them to do, just find something they'll buy into.

Somehow I don't think we needed to gitmo them into some CM camp in order to get sufficient buy in.

Back to the thread title, to break up the notion of the boys club, who in AFL land would make a good replacement for Burton?
They must be gettable, not Balme etc. not an AFC person.

Would Vozzo leave West Coast?
Chocco Williams? (I know this will be hugely unpopular)
Brett Ratten, Mark Harvey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back