Toast Russell Ebert recognised as a Legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Bucky's speech anywhere?
Saw a replay on Kayo this morning.

Absolute master class in public speaking. Articulate, precise, no prompts or pauses, encapsulated all that people who are invested in same love about the man and the Club.

Some people in positions of power at our club should take heed and learn from this template, instead of coming across as baboons.

I was prepared to let bygones be bygones last night when the news broke but this morning reading this

I can bite my tongue no longer. Whoever decides the nominations and/or judges their worthiness and i'm looking at you SANFL

congratulations on being the architects of this largely unspoken disgrace. Did Russell have to die before officialdom caved in to the

mountain of facts writ large in black and white to expose their greatest strength. A strength to boldly even proudly (with a sfellow on the side?)

wait a lazy 21yrs after Robran was honoured. A strength that judges the jumpers' colours before the player's character?...

if so congratulations you won but you knew that anyway. He who owns the screen, pen and microphone owns the message and has the strength.

Too soon for an ungrateful classless bogan such as myself to raise this flagrant wrong?

The only 'class' I can summon right now is to leave swear words out of this post.
Dont blame the SANFL, blame the judges including in the early days Mike Sheahan, Patrick Smith and Caroline Wilson types who had not much of an idea about footballers from outside the V/AFL.

In the 2003 AFL Record Season Guide, it was the first time they laid out who were the selectors for both Legend status elevation and induction. They were;
Ron Evans (chairman of selection and of the Commission), Brian Atkinson (WA), Kevin Bartlett, Brendon Gale (AFLPA), Harry Gordon, Tom Reynolds, Lou Richards, Mike Sheahan, Patrick Smith, Leigh Wicker (SA) and Caroline Wilson.

Only 2 non Vics are in bold and were from the WAFC and SANFL. That later changed when WA was represented by Dennis Cometti and SA by Michaelangelo Rucci and then others replaced these two. Tim Lane was from Tassie but he was stepped in VFL footy as he had been based at the ABC in Melbourne since the late 1970's. Evans had played 2 or 3 years in the WAFL in the 1960's for West Perth.

When Barry Cable was elevated to Legend status in 2012, he pushed the Commission and in particular Chairman and ex Sandgroper Mike Fitzpatrick that they had to start putting heavier recognition on non V/AFL players and have more people on the selection panel that had seen football outside Victoria.

In 2022 the selection panel is;
Richard Goyder (chairman of selection and of the Commission and from WA), Tania Armstrong (WA based TV sports reporter turned TV sports director), Graham Cornes (SA), Ross Glennding (WA), Karen Lyon, Bruce McAvaney (SA), Paul Marsh (AFLPA originally WA), David Parkin, Mark Genge (stats/history consultant) and Patrick Keane (secretary and originally from SA).

Not too many Victorians now.

Bill Dempsey last night thanked Richard Goyder personally because Goyder had obviously pushed hard for him to be inducted after so many times he would have been rejected. And what a great and worthy story Bill has to tell about the kid from NT taken from his parents, put in a mission home, and only got to West Perth because he was company for another kid from the mission West Perth were interested in, and ended up being Polly Farmer's deputy for WA in state footy and at West Perth. Its a story and achievements that those listed in 2003 selection panel above, probably paid very little attention to.

Last night there were 8 inductees + Russell's elevation. Brent Harvey and Matthew Pavlich served minimum 5 year eligibility since retirement, Nicky Winmar (83-99), Michael Taylor (72-87), old timers Bill Dempsey, Ted Tyson and Terry Cashion and Mike Fitzpatrick, not sure if he got it for playing or admin as chairman for a decade and on the commission for about 15 years.

I thought it was restricted to 6 because that's been the amount in the last few years, but the 2022 AFL Record Season Guide says - The Hall of Fame committee can select and enshrine up to 8 Hall of Fame members each year, with both male and female inductees to be considered.

Last year it was only 4 players Chris Judd, Nathan Burke, Robert Wiley and Debbie Lee because Adam Goodes and Gary McIntosh said thanks but no thanks and 2 got elevated - Merv McIntosh from WA and Jack Oatey from SA

2020 it was 6 players - John Abley and Greg Phillips from Port, probably 150th anniversary helped get us 2 in, Simon Black, Jonathan Brown, Dean Cox and Lenny Hayes, Denis Cometti under media and John Kennedy Snr was elevated.

2019 it was 4 players - Ken Hunter, Jimmy Deane, Brad Hardie, and Trevor Baker, coach Mick Malthouse and administrator Ron Evans.

2018 it was 5 players - David Neitz, Terry Wallace, Mathew Scarlett, Wayne Johnston and WA's Mel Whinnen and Sheedy was elevated to legend status.

2018 intake was the first year Goyder was chairman of the selection committee and also Commission. There were 6 non Vics including Barry Cable and 4 Vics.

Since Barry Cable asked for a change in thinking the following players have been elevated to Legend status;
2013 Royce Hart Tassie + VFL
2015 Lockett AFL
2017 Blight SANFL + VFL
2018 Sheedy
2020 John Kennedy Snr
2021 Merv McIntosh WAFL + Jack Oatey SANFL
2022 Russell SANFL + 1 year VFL

This heavy weighting to Non Vics gives me encouragement Russell will soon be joined in the HoF by his team mate Tim Evans who as I set out at this post last night, is now the last of the 1,000+ goals goal-kicker from the 3 big state leagues pre national comp, not to be inducted.

Last edited:
For those who want to see Bucky's speech and rest of Russell's elevation (or the rest of the evening) move the dial to 3.02.20 in the video below.

Dont blame the SANFL, blame the judges including in the early days Mike Sheahan, Patrick Smith and Caroline Wilson types who had not much of an idea about footballers from outside the V/AFL.

In the 2003 AFL Record Season Guide, it was the first time they laid out who were the selectors for both Legend status elevation and induction. They were;
Ron Evans (chairman of selection and of the Commission), Brian Atkinson (WA), Kevin Bartlett, Brendon Gale (AFLPA), Harry Gordon, Tom Reynolds, Lou Richards, Mike Sheahan, Patrick Smith, Leigh Wicker (SA) and Caroline Wilson.

Only 2 non Vics are in bold and were from the WAFC and SANFL. That later changed when WA was represented by Dennis Cometti and SA by Michaelangelo Rucci and then others replaced these two. Tim Lane was from Tassie but he was stepped in VFL footy as he had been based at the ABC in Melbourne since the late 1970's. Evans had played 2 or 3 years in the WAFL in the 1960's for West Perth.

When Barry Cable was elevated to Legend status in 2012, he pushed the Commission and in particular Chairman and ex Sandgroper Mike Fitzpatrick that they had to start putting heavier recognition on non V/AFL players and have more people on the selection panel that had seen football outside Victoria.

In 2022 the selection panel is;
Richard Goyder (chairman of selection and of the Commission and from WA), Tania Armstrong (WA based TV sports reporter turned TV sports director), Graham Cornes (SA), Ross Glennding (WA), Karen Lyon, Bruce McAvaney (SA), Paul Marsh (AFLPA originally WA), David Parkin, Mark Genge (stats/history consultant) and Patrick Keane (secretary and originally from SA).

Not too many Victorians now.

Bill Dempsey last night thanked Richard Goyder personally because Goyder had obviously pushed hard for him to be inducted after so many times he would have been rejected. And what a great and worthy story Bill has to tell about the kid from NT taken from his parents, put in a mission home, and only got to West Perth because he was company for another kid from the mission West Perth were interested in, and ended up being Polly Farmer's deputy for WA in state footy and at West Perth. Its a story and achievements that those listed in 2003 selection panel above, probably paid very little attention to.

Last night there were 8 inductees + Russell's elevation. Brent Harvey and Matthew Pavlich served minimum 5 year eligibility since retirement, Nicky Winmar (83-99), Michael Taylor (72-87), old timers Bill Dempsey, Ted Tyson and Terry Cashion and Mike Fitzpatrick, not sure if he got it for playing or admin as chairman for a decade and on the commission for about 15 years.

I thought it was restricted to 6 because that's been the amount in the last few years, but the 2022 AFL Record Season Guide says - The Hall of Fame committee can select and enshrine up to 8 Hall of Fame members each year, with both male and female inductees to be considered.

Last year it was only 4 players Chris Judd, Nathan Burke, Robert Wiley and Debbie Lee because Adam Goodes and Gary McIntosh said thanks but no thanks and 2 got elevated - Merv McIntosh from WA and Jack Oatey from SA

2020 it was 6 players - John Abley and Greg Phillips from Port, probably 150th anniversary helped get us 2 in, Simon Black, Jonathan Brown, Dean Cox and Lenny Hayes, Denis Cometti under media and John Kennedy Snr was elevated.

2019 it was 4 players - Ken Hunter, Jimmy Deane, Brad Hardie, and Trevor Baker, coach Mick Malthouse and administrator Ron Evans.

2018 it was 5 players - David Neitz, Terry Wallace, Mathew Scarlett, Wayne Johnston and WA's Mel Whinnen and Sheedy was elevated to legend status.

2018 intake was the first year Goyder was chairman of the selection committee and also Commission. There were 6 non Vics including Barry Cable and 4 Vics.

Since Barry Cable asked for a change in thinking the following players have been elevated to Legend status;
2013 Royce Hart Tassie + VFL
2015 Lockett AFL
2017 Blight SANFL + VFL
2018 Sheedy
2020 John Kennedy Snr
2021 Merv McIntosh WAFL + Jack Oatey SANFL
2022 Russell SANFL + 1 year VFL

This heavy weighting to Non Vics gives me encouragement Russell will soon be joined in the HoF by his team mate Tim Evans who as I set out at this post last night, is now the last of the 1,000+ goals goal-kicker from the 3 big state leagues pre national comp, not to be inducted.

SA footy supporters who weren't around at the time are probably unaware of the absolute crap we had to put up with from that garden gnome Lou Richards, any player from here would have been behind the 8-ball from the get go with him involved in the selection process.

His partner in crime Jack Dyer could be extremely condescending when referring to players from this state, and usually under the guise of so called dry humour, but Richards often had a tinge of unnecessary nastiness behind his.

SA footy supporters who weren't around at the time are probably unaware of the absolute crap we had to put up with from that garden gnome Lou Richards, any player from here would have been behind the 8-ball from the get go with him involved in the selection process.

His partner in crime Jack Dyer could be extremely condescending when referring to players from this state, and usually under the guise of so called dry humour, but Richards often had a tinge of unnecessary nastiness behind his.
I did raise an eyebrow back in 2003 when I saw he was on the selection panel. He was 80 at the time and he had started to loose it. No idea how influential he was and when he was first on the selection panel, but 2006 was his last year on it.

What struck me last night after about the 5th inductee, was the spread of where the players came from.

Bill Dempsey - NT kid who played in the WAFL and broke the mould for NT kids although David Kantilla had made it to the SANFL 4 years beforehand.
Matt Pavlich - SA boy became a great of WA footy and is such a part of Freo.
Ted Tyson - WAFL great
Terry Cashion - Tassie great
Nicky Winmar - WA great who played in Victoria, changed the game re attitude to indigenous player, and is loved by everyone.

and it kept going
Mike Fitzpatrick - - WA player who became a great dual premiership captain of Carlton and ran the league as part of the Melbourne establishment.
Michael Taylor - SA great who played 4 very good years in Victoria.
Brent Harvey - Vic great who just kept on keeping on, probably could have played to about 45.

And a great finish with Russell's elevation.

Dont blame the SANFL,

Your wider point about South Australian disenfranchisement is a sound one — to not have a single individual from this state considered to be a ‘Legend’ when the entire concept was inaugurated in 1996 should’ve been an enormous red flag to even the most biased Victorian.

But nobody can tell me Port’s absence of a single inductee/elevation when the dinner was actually held at Adelaide Oval in 2017 wasn’t some form of snub.

Next up for elevation should be Fos Williams and Jack Cahill, with a fast-track for the latter, so the same shameful mistake isn’t repeated.

Graham Cornes was asked about HoF function and the process by Rowe on his regular AA segment this arvo, and he said that the last couple of years the selection committee has been told to look at elevation to Legend status for those players who are deceased.

Rucci this arvo on SEN talked about his experience and 2020 inductions was his last year. He talked about Hawthorn approaching the selection committee that John Kennedy Snr was on his last legs and that if they had considered him in the past they might consider him for elevation in 2020 as he was on his last legs. The committee duly elevated him and he passed away aged 91 a couple of weeks after he was elevated.

Cornes replaced Rucci after 2020 awards and he said that he was told that they were only elevating people posthumously and that they had already selected Merv McIntosh and Jack Oatey for 2021, a few months before the event in June last year when Russell was still alive but battling with AML.

Cornes said once Russell had passed away, nobody had objected to his elevation.

Sounds like part of the changes are in line with what I wrote last night in the general AFL thread last night that all those 100 inaugural players and 10 inaugural coaches inducted in 1996 are legends of Australian Football and did legendary deeds otherwise they wouldn't have been the inaugural inductees to celebrate 100 seasons of the VFL and 138 years of the game. I asked how is Bob Quinn anymore or any less a legend of the game than Russell or Fos who were inducted in 1996 in the inaugural intake, and that's why I think the 10% rule is arbitrary BS and I'm no fan of the Legend status.

There will be a bit of a catch up for those 1996 inaugural inductees happening if you can only get elevated posthumously, and the John Kennedy Snr situation probably was the driver to change things.

So far of the 32 elevated to Legend status, 30 were inaugural inductees in 1996 and the 2 that weren't are Plugger Lockett inducted in 2006, as soon as he was eligible under the then 3 year eligibility period and elevated in 2015, and Sheedy who couldn't be inducted until he finished coaching, which was at the end of 2007, so got inducted in 2008, and elevated in 2018. Hard to argue a case against these 2 but I still question the need for the separate category.

Cornes in the link starts off talking about the night and then at 3.55 starts talking about the Legend status in 2021 and 2022 the player had to be deceased, and tells how he went and talked to Port's historical society, said didn't take much convincing to elevate Russell and was virtually rubber stamped by the committee. He starts talking about how the process works at 7.25.

Rooch in the link below talks about Russell's elevation and at about 1.05 explains Hawthorn approaching the selection panel a few months before the 2020 award night, that if they had seriously considered John Kennedy Snr maybe they could consider him for 2020 as he didn't have very long to go. Sounds like the Hawks did it in a respectful manner, and just made a request to consider the situation. Rooch said that everyone thought well if you are going to elevate someone, they should be alive to see it/participate in it.

Rooch said he wish they had done it last year for Russell, but he was off the selection committee for 2021 awards, and from what Cornes says, things have changed and it will only be awarded posthumously from now on.

For those who want to see Bucky's speech and rest of Russell's elevation (or the rest of the evening) move the dial to 3.02.20 in the video below.

Thanks for posting,very emotional words from both Brian and Brett.
Had to fight back some tears watching that but am happy knowing Russell’s memory will live on forever.

If someone could tell me who has a better record than Fos Williams
7 premierships as a player
9 premierships as a coach
34 state games as a player
45 state games as a coach
Set the standard at Port Adelaide to become the most successful football club in Australia.
Should have been a Hall of Fame Legend years ago.

Ah bloody hell, I'm not crying, you're crying.

Bless you great man, how we all miss you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Set the standard at Port Adelaide to become the most successful football club in Australia.
I cant, thats why I think its a BS category.

I cant, thats why I think its a BS category.
Agree, except where it may apply to Russell Ebert.

Legends such as Fos Williams, John Cahill and inductees such as Geof Motley and Dave Boyd have got to be recognised as such with no delay.

Bucky spoke for the Great Man.

Can you imagine Koch speaking for anyone?

Get rid of him.

His partner in crime Jack Dyer could be extremely condescending when referring to players from this state, and usually under the
If he was a Victorian he would have been in years ago.

Legends such as Fos Williams, John Cahill and inductees such as Geof Motley and Dave Boyd have got to be recognised as such with no delay.

Get rid of him.
Koch is not in the same stratosphere as Bucky.

Graham Cornes was asked about HoF function and the process by Rowe on his regular AA segment this arvo, and he said that the last couple of years the selection committee has been told to look at elevation to Legend status for those players who are deceased........

Rooch in the link below talks about Russell's elevation and at about 1.05 explains Hawthorn approaching the selection panel a few months before the 2020 award night, that if they had seriously considered John Kennedy Snr maybe they could consider him for 2020 as he didn't have very long to go. Sounds like the Hawks did it in a respectful manner, and just made a request to consider the situation. Rooch said that everyone thought well if you are going to elevate someone, they should be alive to see it/participate in it.

Rooch said he wish they had done it last year for Russell, but he was off the selection committee for 2021 awards, and from what Cornes says, things have changed and it will only be awarded posthumously from now on.

So who makes the changes to the selection criterion I wonder? What an absurdly arbitrary change to make. Any guesses as to which Viccy Legend the posthumous rule will be changed for?

russ_infographic.jpg
Look at those hands, and the bullet like 20m handball to a bloke in space. I've said it before but he was the midfield version of Carey. I was old enough to see him play at Port Adelaide albeit not all the time, and lucky enough to finally see him at North. Incredible player, and a fantastic attitude/appreciation towards the fans. Should have been inducted a long time ago.

Koch is not in the same stratosphere as Bucky.

Kochie's idea of cool is to try n be cool. Bucky just is.

One's a hyped up blowhard the other... the answer?

I like the cut of Bucky's jib.

Throw in Georgie Fi n Darren C and we're close to getting the band back...

vocals from the "white noise' welcomed back.

We aint the enemy by the way.

Get rid of him.
Yeah can't wait til he inducts ken

Your wider point about South Australian disenfranchisement is a sound one — to not have a single individual from this state considered to be a ‘Legend’ when the entire concept was inaugurated in 1996 should’ve been an enormous red flag to even the most biased Victorian.

But nobody can tell me Port’s absence of a single inductee/elevation when the dinner was actually held at Adelaide Oval in 2017 wasn’t some form of snub.

Next up for elevation should be Fos Williams and Jack Cahill, with a fast-track for the latter, so the same shameful mistake isn’t repeated.
You would think eventually Fos, Jack and Quinn would be elevated in status given their combined coaching and playing records.
Maybe also Motley?

So who makes the changes to the selection criterion I wonder? What an absurdly arbitrary change to make. Any guesses as to which Viccy Legend the posthumous rule will be changed for?
Probably a combo of Goyder, the Commission and the AFL executives.

My take is the AFL have made a rod for their back by having this legends status, and after Hawks requested that John Kennedy Snr be elevated before he passed away, that every year there will be someone who is close to passing away and the selection committee will be lobbied each year to elevate this individual so that they can accept their award before they pass away.

A rule that ex players and coaches have had to pass away before they are elivated, means the AFL doesnt get lobbied at the least minute, catches up on elevating many of those inaugural 1996 inductees and debates about when are Carey, Ablett, Dunstal, etc being elevated.

Having lived in rugby league territory for a couple of decades, and getting used to their minimal Immortals, I sort of get being elevated after a player passes away, to acknowledge that their deeds live forever.

I've watched Bucky's speech at least half a dozen times. Bloody brilliant.

He would make a great replacement for Gil. Hope he comes back in some meaningful role at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back