foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
I just thought I'd start a post about these 2 players and thought to see what you all think where do you think these guys are at the moment...

I personally think myself that 1 of these guys should be playing as by the look of it we won't be seeing Henderson or Taylor in the coming weeks as with injury. And in the pass we have played players who honestly aren't up to playing at AFL standard where I personally think there better than some that have played who the selectors have picked. As I think we should be playing players for the position we are lacking and they meet that criteria.

can’t believe neither one of them has debuted yet. This is one area we know will struggle after the retirement of Domsy. Now with Hendo and Taylor out injured with no concrete return timeframe, why haven’t we given these 2 blokes a chance to show what they can do? Either they are not good enough or Scott thinks Kolo and Henry are our answer in long term, which both reasons sound ridiculous to me.

I'm not sure about House but I'm hopeful more than optimistic about Gardner... around 200cm and 100 kg, with neat skills is the type of defender we need to combat guys like Daniher, Lynch and Patton. I rate kolo as a backman and think he can continue to improve but will never be big enough for the "gorillas ".

The fact is both are late pick long shots. We can be hopeful but if they fail to get a game by those with the powers to grant them a game ..maybe they just lack whatever it takes in the eyes to make it..and have decided others have more potential. Id like to at least seem them get a go but plenty get drafted but go no further.

Just want to say well done for the correct extra ‘m’ in ‘Timm’.

No idea about how they’ll go. They both need to play some very good VFL football for a while.

where do you think these guys are at the moment...

images

One’s only 20, the other has only been in the system for a little over a year. Nothing to be concerned about at this stage for mine.

Yes, with Taylor and Henderson down it would seem likely they’d bring in Gardner or House, but they pick a backline mix, not individual players. The club just doesn’t see these two fitting into the current backline mix right now and that’s fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee this thread would be popular with the group think admins and gatekeepers. They swore these blokes would step up and be guns...even when they'd shown nothing.

House is no good. Gardner will be playing for Burnie again next year.

One’s only 20, the other has only been in the system for a little over a year. Nothing to be concerned about at this stage for mine.

Yes, with Taylor and Henderson down it would seem likely they’d bring in Gardner or House, but they pick a backline mix, not individual players. The club just doesn’t see these two fitting into the current backline mix right now and that’s fine.
Yeah, the current mix is going well right now. :think:

Cs prefers to play no key backs. Must not rate them

So when he was playing Scarlett, Lonergan, HT, Hendo, Rivers et al since 2011 for so many games he was going against trend then?

WTF are you talking about... statement is so wrong its mind blowing..... or you are trying to do something else?

Go Catters

can’t believe neither one of them has debuted yet. This is one area we know will struggle after the retirement of Domsy. Now with Hendo and Taylor out injured with no concrete return timeframe, why haven’t we given these 2 blokes a chance to show what they can do? Either they are not good enough or Scott thinks Kolo and Henry are our answer in long term, which both reasons sound ridiculous to me.
Amen!

So when he was playing Scarlett, Lonergan, HT, Hendo, Rivers et al since 2011 for so many games he was going against trend then?

WTF are you talking about... statement is so wrong its mind blowing..... or you are trying to do something else?

Go Catters
Whhhhhaaat??? Ummmm, let me spell it out for you Daz.

There is no height in the back line...is that hard to understand?
We have young blokes in the twos that you and others hailed as our next big things down back....where are they? That's the point.

Whhhhhaaat??? Ummmm, let me spell it out for you Daz.

There is no height in the back line...is that hard to understand?
We have young blokes in the twos that you and others hailed as our next big things down back....where are they? That's the point.

Saying CS doesnt want to play KPD is a ridiculous statement fishing for god knows what.

If it was specific to the last 2 weeks since Hendo and HT have been out - then you could mount the case.

But as usual, its blankets statements of drama and woe that now have called BS will be changed to suit the specifics they actually relate to.

Go Catters

Do you not think so? We’ve conceded the most inside 50s in the competition, and we rank third for most rebound 50s. The problem isn’t the personnel down back, it’s what’s happening in between the arcs. And Gardner and House can hardly improve that fact.
LOL. They are getting monstered by opposition forwards. Against Hawthorn Scott has little Guthrie on Roughhead...OMG!!!! It cost us the game in the end (though we didn't deserve to be that close anyway). I couldn't believe my eyes. It was like watching an Under 16 kid play against a mature Senior player...it was horrifying. Our coach needed to be dropped to the seconds for such a blatant error of judgment.

The Eagles had Jack Darling kick start them off in the last quarter (height again) and Nic Nat/Lycet rucking against no ruckman in the hoops...what is going on at Geelong? Madness!

You are correct in that our midfield aren't great either but how does making the backline midget size going to help the situation? It aint! It just puts them under more pressure.

The fact is...we have no key tall backmen at Geelong at all. Taylor isn't a key backman...he's a switch hitter who zones off his man to intercept mark, that's his go. He's not a monster like Lonergan was.

Saying CS doesnt want to play KPD is a ridiculous statement fishing for god knows what.

If it was specific to the last 2 weeks since Hendo and HT have been out - then you could mount the case.

But as usual, its blankets statements of drama and woe that now have called BS will be changed to suit the specifics they actually relate to.

Go Catters
Fair point. But the issue is critical now, in the present day. So, of course CS has played KPD in the past...why not now? THAT IS THE BIG QUESTION. DO you care to have a go at answering it?

Fair point. But the issue is critical now, in the present day. So, of course CS has played KPD in the past...why not now? THAT IS THE BIG QUESTION. DO you care to have a go at answering it?

Given its a vastly different to the overly dramatic statement I called out originally... yes

The simple answer is I have no idea - and its entirely frustrating. Ive been calling for Gardner to get a go since at least id last year... perhaps even earlier.

Why its not happening I can only presume is down to timing and injuries being piss poor - which in Gardner's case is mostly accurate - but still does not account for JLT this year and rds 2-3.

IMO he should have played, or be playing this week.

GO Catters

I'm not sure about House but I'm hopeful more than optimistic about Gardner... around 200cm and 100 kg, with neat skills is the type of defender we need to combat guys like Daniher, Lynch and Patton. I rate kolo as a backman and think he can continue to improve but will never be big enough for the "gorillas ".
Agree.
- House- I can understand not picking now - showing promise as a marking back but not long into transition from a forward.
- Gardner on the other hand has the size and has been groomed as the Domsey replacement. Maybe hasn’t starred last season but also has generally kept the opposition key forward quiet. With Taylor and Hendo both out, now was the precise time to play him (I wouldn’t when they return - they will be too slow). This is either because-
a. They think Henry is better bet long term (agree as intercept mark and skills but not sure as FB against monsters/rucks) and they want to give Kolo experience of being a KPD (would’ve said same of Blitz but just aren’t playing him there) to cover in future games if Taylor and Hendo go down.
b. Don’t think he is fit enough
c. Don’t think he ready or is good enough (If it is this, then frankly WTF did they keep him on the list).

Maybe it’s a bit of all three. As usual, time will tell, but will be f’ing frustrating if he leaves without being trialled when they had the spot open and he turns out to be a Domsey type elsewhere.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back