Opinion Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

i dont post much but this season has hurt more than any other i can remember. Our best is as good as the best and our worst is as bad as the worst. I still have faith in Hardwicke but some of our lazy and dumb players need the chop.

This is such a stupid question. I can't believe the comparison that you are making between the two. Nahas is a crumbing small forward that provides defensive pressure. If Riewoldt was to go down, we would bring in Astbury/Griffiths/Post/Elton to perform that role. Nahas wouldn't even be brought up in conversation, because that's not his role in the team. Likewise, if Nahas was to go down, his role wouldn't be performed by Grant because he isn't capable of doing so.

You make some baffling statements RP, but this one has to be the best of them.
Can you read my thoughts again , I have never stated Grant is a better crumbling forward nor did I suggest grant would fulfill a KPP .
Griffith/ Astbury and Post are all playing in defence and if you think Elton is already a better leading forward than Grant , you obviously are not able to watch football with a non biased view .
He brings more to the table and in fact is more flexible , I personally see the need for small specialized crumbing forwards as pretty much non existent , they are to one dimensional and are often found out in high pressure games .
It's easy to criticize someone's view without actually considering for a moment what they are saying .

Roar Passion you need to give it up. I dont think there is anyone on this board that would agree for a straight swap for Nahas and Grant doing the goal crumbing role unless it was Terry Wallace. That would be the crappiest trade if we followed your idea. Glad we arent.

I just understand the hate for Nahas - he isnt perfect but he kicks goals and makes stuff out of nothing. I dont often recal him stuffing up heaps of goal shots/turnovers either.
There is no hate toward Nahas I simply don't believe there is a need for players who are
Pigeon holed small crumbling forwards and in the current day of zones and clubs setting up off half back I believe players who are defficient in the air and are easily moved off the ball are a liability .
I am sure there'll be plenty wanting to argue that Nahas now plays up the ground but the fact is there are times within games where a contest comes down to more than just pace and in higher pressure games against better opposition it happens more often .
Good sides have less players who have those deficiencies .

Grant is significantly more competitive in the air than Nahas , doesn't tend to get knocked off the ball as easy . I'f we could alternate the two of them without losing positioning within the ND , I'd do it in a heartbeat .

Grant is 16CMs taller then Nahas and only 11KGs heavier.

Not to mention the fact that Grant is a dud of the highest order, the guy has more swag about him then Carey and Grant has done SFA!!

Grant is 16CMs taller then Nahas and only 11KGs heavier.

Not to mention the fact that Grant is a dud of the highest order, the guy has more swag about him then Carey and Grant has done SFA!!
Not sure what the height and weight difference between them has any relevance. Using their height to weight ratio, you'll find that Nahas weighs 1 kg for every 2.5142 cms and Grant 1kg to every 2.3414 cms.
But hey that doesn't suit the argument.
Maybe a few of you should consider giving your opinion as per the OP, rather than sitting on the fence throwing rocks ?:eek::rolleyes:;)

Can you read my thoughts again , I have never stated Grant is a better crumbling forward nor did I suggest grant would fulfill a KPP .
If Reiwoldt goes down next year would you prefer Grant or Nahas as a 3rd key forward target ?
If one of Nahas , Edwards go down next year, Grant can fill the void .
What's with this statement?

Griffith/ Astbury and Post are all playing in defence and if you think Elton is already a better leading forward than Grant , you obviously are not able to watch football with a non biased view .
Rance, Chaplin, Grimes, Griffiths, Post & Astbury all vying for KPD spots. The latter three would HAVE to be considered to play up forward with our defensive key posts shored up.
I never said Elton was better than Grant, but they'd be competing for the same role in the side.

I personally see the need for small specialized crumbing forwards as pretty much non existent , they are to one dimensional and are often found out in high pressure games .
That is fair enough, but there's no denying that Nahas is contributing well at the moment, both on the scoreboard and with defensive pressure, and to trade him out when we are trying to build depth in that part of the ground makes no sense. Especially when his potential replacement is an unproven, erratic forward in Grant.

He brings more to the table and in fact is more flexible ,
Maybe in body size. At this point, he is bringing the plastic plates and cutlery in comparison to Robbie slapping a porterhouse down on the table.

What's with this statement?

3rd tall was mentioned.;)

Rance, Chaplin, Grimes, Griffiths, Post & Astbury all vying for KPD spots. The latter three would HAVE to be considered to play up forward with our defensive key posts shored up.
I never said Elton was better than Grant, but they'd be competing for the same role in the side.

There is no gaurantee !

That is fair enough, but there's no denying that Nahas is contributing well at the moment, both on the scoreboard and with defensive pressure, and to trade him out when we are trying to build depth in that part of the ground makes no sense. Especially when his potential replacement is an unproven, erratic forward in Grant.

I would prefer not to trade Nahas, I simply suspect that there may be an opportunity for us to improve our draft position by doing so and it wouldn't surprise me if Nahas decides he wants out , just a hunch which most liekly will be proven wrong.

Maybe in body size. At this point, he is bringing the plastic plates and cutlery in comparison to Robbie slapping a porterhouse down on the table.

There is no doubt Nahas is having more effect in some offensive areas, which given his physical size in todays game is a credit to him.
However as we go forward and play in higher intensity games , which we are a better chance of winning, I'd prefer a different type of player.

And just to contribute to the OP.

Best 22
B: Morris Chaplin Grimes
HB: Rance Griffiths Batchelor
C: Deledio Cotchin Grigg
HF: Martin Cloke Edwards
F: Nahas Riewoldt Vickery
R: Maric Tuck Foley
INT: Conca Newman Ellis Houli
EMG: King Jackson White

Tall backline, but Grimes can play small/mid-sized and Rance could play a more attacking role.
Geelong constantly play Lonergan, Taylor, Scarlett & Mackie in the same backline, all 192cm+.
Dreaming with Cloke.
Conca, Ellis to get more midfield game time.
Bench full of more defensive mids. With hopeful improvement from Conca & Ellis, good rotations that can potentially allow Deledio, Cotchin & Martin to wreak some havoc up forward.

Trade/ Free Agency
Chaplin, Cloke (a man can dream)

Delistings
Connors, Graham, MacDonald, McGuane, Moore, Webberley
A. Maric, Miller.

ND Type
I like the thought of draft for talent, trade for needs.
Basically best available, regardless of position.

Pick 1: Best pure midfielder available.
Pick 2: Classy lead up forward.
Pick 3: Best pure midfielder available.
Pick 4: Key defender.
Pick 5: Ruck.
PSD: Best State-League player available.

Rookie
Project Ruck
Midfielder
Moore

Surprises
I don't like surprises, but Cloke, along with Vickery, to kick us into the top 6.

Because he provides less of an opportunity to be our marked and pushed of the footy and therefore allowing the opposition to set up off half back .
Grant is not a number one KPP , hence why the bulldogs are playing Cordy and Roughhead .
Grant would be an upgrade most certainly on Miller and McGuanne as our 3rd tall forward and most certainly an upgrade on Connors , MacDonald and A.maric .
If Reiwoldt goes down next year would you prefer Grant or Nahas as a 3rd key forward target ?
If one of Nahas , Edwards go down next year, Grant can fill the void .
We don't have great 3rd tall forward depth nor great medium
Sized lead up or quick forwards. Grant would provide depth in all 3 areas .
I appreciate he is of a light frame, but he does have some qualities which we don't have upon our list and if on our list this year would have played 10 games in front of A.maric and most likely given us greater competition in the air and on the ground and instead of players like Josh Hunt continually taking mark after mark against short people and brushing them aside upon the ground we may have gotten a contest and won close games . Likewise instead of having Brad Miller leading no further than 15 Mtrs from goal , because that's all he can kick , Grant may have led further up the groud and forced defenders to make a decision rather than sit back and block space .

Our 3 talls in the forward line are going to come from Riewoldt Griffiths Vickery Elton and perhaps Astbury. As far as mid sized lead up options are concerned I would have Deledio Cotchin Martin Tuck Jackson & O'Hanlon all ahead of Grant if he was to come to the club. As for the smalls Nahas Edwards & King are capable of going that job rather well. In fact all 3 are quite good at the defensive side. Then there is Turner who has shown some promising signs at Coburg as a small forward when he has been able to get on the park.

On top of that there is this years crop of draftees to come in as well who I've got no doubt a couple of them will be able to play as either a midsized/small forward while also going through the midfield as well.

Our 3 talls in the forward line are going to come from Riewoldt Griffiths Vickery Elton and perhaps Astbury. As far as mid sized lead up options are concerned I would have Deledio Cotchin Martin Tuck Jackson & O'Hanlon all ahead of Grant if he was to come to the club. As for the smalls Nahas Edwards & King are capable of going that job rather well. In fact all 3 are quite good at the defensive side. Then there is Turner who has shown some promising signs at Coburg as a small forward when he has been able to get on the park.

On top of that there is this years crop of draftees to come in as well who I've got no doubt a couple of them will be able to play as either a midsized/small forward while also going through the midfield as well.
You obviously have a very large dislike for Grant which avoids you from viewing his ability objectively, there is no way Elton , O'hanlon , Tuck , Jackson have shown more as a forward than Grant . To suggest so is completely ridiculous as it is to suggest a couple of this years draft picks .
By all means have your say but please .

Best 22

B. Steven Morris, Troy Chaplin, Dylan Grimes
HB. Bachar Houli, Alex Rance, Jake Batchelor
C. Shaun Grigg, Trent Cotchin, Reece Conca
HF. Dustin Martin, Ben Griffiths, Brad Helbig
F. Robin Nahas, Jack Riewoldt, Tyrone Vickery
Foll. Ivan Maric, Shane Tuck, Brett Deledio
Inter. Nathan Foley, Chris Newman, Brandon Ellis, Shane Edwards

Out - McGuane, Connors, Graham, Derickx, Webberley, McDonald, A. Maric (R), Heslin (R)
In - Chaplin, 1st rounder, 2x second rounder, 3rd rounder, 4th rounder, Wheeler (R), Simon (R).

Twos (Hypothetical, not including Coburg listed players)

B. Kel Moore, Jayden Post, Piva Wright
HB. Steve Verrier, Ben Darrou, Matt Dea
C. Willy Wheeler, Matthew Arnot, #1st Pick
HF. Brett O'Hanlon, Dave Astbury, Jake King
F. Brad Miller, Todd Elton, Gibson Turner
Foll. Andrew Browne, Matthew White, Daniel Jackson
Inter. 2nd Pick, 3rd Pick, 4th Pick, Gideon Simon

We will probably make more changes to the rookie list than that, although I'm not sure who as Verrier is the best performed but all of Wright, Darrou and Turner are project players so you can't imagine they'd get the chop after 1 season either.

Of the twos I'd like to think O'Hanlon, Astbury and Dea would be the first picked. All are capable of being best 22. King will be in and out of the team next year as his value wanes, and Jackson and White are solid depth midfielders. We may trade Post, in which case I'd hold on to Derickx for KP depth and versitility.

In the draft I'd be looking at a plethora of mids, and mids who can play forward. A natural goal kicking half forward and a ruckman are also on the agenda. I think we're okay for talls for the time being, but as you can see from that seconds side, our midfield depth isn't strong at all.

You obviously have a very large dislike for Grant which avoids you from viewing his ability objectively, there is no way Elton , O'hanlon , Tuck , Jackson have shown more as a forward than Grant . To suggest so is completely ridiculous as it is to suggest a couple of this years draft picks .
Grant is 192cm & 82kg in his 5th season and to me is a one position player i.e. 3rd tall half forward who offers no flexibility because he can't go into the midfield.

Elton is a 197cm 92kg genuine KPF in his first year. I would have rather play Elton ahead of Grant if we were looking for someone to replace Jack or Griffiths if need be.

As for O'Hanlon Tuck & Jackson I would also play them ahead of Grant as they all can play through the midfield as well as up forward.

Best 22.
B: Grimes Chaplin Batchelor
HB: Houli Rance Morris
C: Grigg Cotchin Ellis
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Nahas Riewoldt Vickery
R: Maric Conca Tuck
INT: Newman Foley Edwards Russell
Likely Trade / Free Agency
Chaplin Russell - Free Agents
Post to Dogs
Graham to Saints/GWS
Delistings
Miller(r) McGuane Connors Heslin(r) White MacDonald Derickx Moore(retired) Webberley Maric(r) one of Darrou(r) or Wright(r)
ND Type
Inside Midfielder Inside/Outside Midfielder Outside Midfielder KPP KPP/Ruck Small Forward Small Defender
Rookie Type
2 Midfielders 1 KPP 1 Ruck
Surprises
AFL give us a second round compo pick for losing Graham to GWS.
Newman hands over the captaincy to Deledio.

interesting rt. by getting rid of post,mcguane,moore and derickx we have astbury and elton as backups. to short for my liking. keep derickx on a 1 year contract for cover/development. i would mix and match your team a little as well but essentially i like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rp i too cant have grant. the boy has not come on,lacks intensity,lacks poise and basically i think is a dud. hate has nothing to do with not liking him as a player. just calling it the way i see it.

This thread should be called 'grant is a dud' because someone RP has turned this into a thread about him..
Suggesting basically a straight swap for Robbie is one of the most ludicrous things I have read on Bigfooty.. :eek:

interesting rt. by getting rid of post,mcguane,moore and derickx we have astbury and elton as backups. to short for my liking. keep derickx on a 1 year contract for cover/development. i would mix and match your team a little as well but essentially i like it.
Yes I've delisted a few talls but at ths same time I've also added a few through the drafts. With those I'm tipping 1-2 to be mature types.

rp i too cant have grant. the boy has not come on,lacks intensity,lacks poise and basically i think is a dud. hate has nothing to do with not liking him as a player. just calling it the way i see it.
Have no issue what do ever with people not liking players but the suggestions of who he was behind was ridiculous .

This thread should be called 'grant is a dud' because someone RP has turned this into a thread about him..
Suggesting basically a straight swap for Robbie is one of the most ludicrous things I have read on Bigfooty.. :eek:
Why don't you grow some balls Wang and actually give us your opinion as per the OP rather than sitting on the fence throwing hand grenades at those who have the balls and give their opinion ?

Have no issue what do ever with people not liking players but the suggestions of who he was behind was ridiculous .
But you complain about others lacking flexibility yet want Grant.
But you prefer not to add mature types via the drafts. ?
Don't believe I have ever said that I don't want mature types just that I'd prefer kids first.

Why don't you grow some balls Wang and actually give us your opinion as per the OP rather than sitting on the fence throwing hand grenades at those who have the balls and give their opinion ?
Heres my opinion or grenade if you like.. In regards to Grant over Nahas.. you clearly have NFI

But you complain about others lacking flexibility yet want Grant.

Don't believe I have ever said that I don't want mature types just that I'd prefer kids first.
Grant , O'hanlon and Edwards all provide more flexibility than small forwards like A.Maric and Nahas .
unknown state league players, we've gone down that path with the likes of Webberley Nason & Derickx who have pretty much delievered nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back