Autopsy Season 2017 Autopsy - NM finish 6-16 & bottom four

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldy will probably stay unless we can get a good swap for him.
LT and Spitter still have a year to run... But I suspect both will be told they are surplus to requirements. Anything could happen for those 2. Retire, Trade, Kept on.
Hansen would have to be gone, one way or another.

Gibson will stay and Waite will retire.

Going to be a lot of player movement for us this year.

Also, don't forget we get a shiny new VFL team! I wonder if we could do a bit of a jiggeroni and partially pay out a couple of contracts (LT and Swallow), and give them ones in the VFL. Save 100K or so from each of them, they stay around the club with less responsibility and demands and playing football with their mates. Swallow gets more time with his little one. That possible or plausible?
Sounds good.

Acquisitions of Kelly and/or Dusty will decide the fate of Waite and Swallow.. if we get both then we keep both for sure.

Retaining Goldy is decided by his trade value, and the aforementioned acquisitions.

LT still contracted, can run around in the VFL for a year, and Hansen is done.

This year was almost exactly what I expected. With welcome surprises from Mountford, Simpkin, Clarke and Zurhaar - and Benny Brown cementing his place with the elite forwards of the competition.

I give us a C+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hansen definetly gone could be a good pick up for someone like bulddogs be unusual if swallow and Lindsay go. Unless a another club wants them which is doubtful.

Reckon you fellas might luck out and be able to pick up the 'best' prospect in Rayner with pick 4.

High chance Brisbane and GC don't risk it since he's a Vic Metro boy and may see him as a flight risk...Brisbane are known to stay clear of Vic Metro boys lately and prefer Vic Country lads.

Carlton might not pick him since we desperately need midfielders, which Rayner is not.

Well that's over ............... and now .......

giphy.gif

C+

Injuries were the big story, but losing the close ones and having teams cut us to ribbons on the rebound really soured the positives.

Our highest payed player sucked but that was countered by playing 11 debutants, with some of them looking bloody good.

Martin and Kelly. If we arnt sitting in the top 8 by the bye, it's bye bye Bard. Is be happy if he got the ass on Monday tbqh...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club simply needs to get everything right this off season.....and we have already started off in a rather 'clumsy' fashion after today's 'big' win.....We need to make smart and tough decisions regarding coaches, players, recruits, fitness staff etc otherwise we'll potentially be screwed for a long long time. Once your mired down the bottom it can take years to recover. That's why to me getting pick 1 in both drafts this off season would have given us a better opportunity to kick start our climb up.
Season started off s**t as usual under Scott and just got worse. Our skills are complete shite. I really don't think there are any potential A graders amongst our youngsters. Just plenty of average, no frills players who'll play their 150 or so games in a comfortable environment and make a decent living off the game.

Club simply needs to get everything right this off season.....and we have already started off in a rather 'clumsy' fashion after today's 'big' win.....We need to make smart and tough decisions regarding coaches, players, recruits, fitness staff etc otherwise we'll potentially be screwed for a long long time. Once your mired down the bottom it can take years to recover. That's why to me getting pick 1 in both drafts this off season would have given us a better opportunity to kick start our climb up.
Season started off s**t as usual under Scott and just got worse. Our skills are complete shite. I really don't think there are any potential A graders amongst our youngsters. Just plenty of average, no frills players who'll play their 150 or so games in a comfortable environment and make a decent living off the game.
Agree with this - we are miles off it - perhaps as far away from the pack as we have been since the end of the Laidley days. A lot of change required across the board.

Our on field performance over the past 18 months taken as a whole has been unacceptable against any measure - lacking any sense of direction and purpose. Sure there have been injuries and other excuses but all clubs go through that.

The one thing in our favour is that we have salary cap to burn - can we turn that into our advantage or will be just burn it - as you say we need to get a lot right from here.

Obviously not a great year, though the expectation was always that we would fall: it was just a question of how far...

The main concern I have with this year was the return of familiar deficiencies: being easily scored against on the turnover, substandard disposal ensuring we turn it over often, frequently dropping what should be solid leads, difficulty closing out the close ones... how much of that hangs on the senior coach is hard to say, and any 'developing' team will have areas that need work, but it's disappointing to see the same problems occur so predictably once again regardless.

Positive signs from most of the debutants suggest we have a decent amount potential talent on the list, so it's a question of getting the most out of them in future seasons. Hard to think of too many others on the list who had career-best years though (Ben Brown, obviously, and a couple of others)... was good to see some of the experienced players (Swallow and Thompson) force their continued selection through good form, however. Arguably some of the issues mentioned above stem from having a substantially different line-up than in the last few years (not to mention from week to week, given the number of injuries this year). Hopefully having played together some more will see players bring out better performances from one another from here on.

6-16 is, unsurprisingly, a disappointing win-loss tally. Easy to talk of what could've been with five losses within a goal, but perhaps more encouragingly, we were rarely completely outplayed (the bigger losses were often a case of slowly falling away as the game progressed). Still the same issues with inconsistency both within and between games. Must be said that our fixture wasn't a particularly difficult one in hindsight - no double-ups against any of the top six, six Victorian away games - which just highlights how underwhelming the season was (even given the low expectations). Still, if Melbourne do make finals, half of our wins were against the top 8, which is something.

Plenty of decisions to be made about how we approach the near future. There are a lot of players on our list who can play decent football at times, but not many who play consistently well, which makes choices about both drafting and delistings less obvious: is a radical change of approach (change of coach, say) required? Now seems the time to make those kind of key decisions - it's hard to see how non-committally keeping Scott as coach but under pressure helps - though a rash decision does little for us either. Potential high-profile recruits like Kelly or Martin change the outlook as well; a lot depends upon what transpires from here.

Positives was playing the kids. Simpkin, EVW, nielson, mountford, preuss, durdin and williams all showed something. Competitive too. Apart from port adelaide, cant recall too many games where we had no chance. I am happy with brad, just need to change some of his assistants. Need some clarity there, seems to be all up in the air and we just need a clear decision to be made (i know he has one more season but either stay the course or get a new coach)

Its clear hansen is finished, goldy is on the trading block, LT and spitta have one season left, waite will probably go on judging by brads comments recently and i think majak will never live up to the hype. Scotty thompson needs to play one more season, was really handy this year. Anderson has been a spectacular flop, delist.

As ive said in another thread, we still have a few years to go down the bottom. Hate to be that killjoy but if you take the north glasses off, we are a fair way away from making the 8. Skills skills skills. Fwd line too dependent on one player (brown). Defence is young (i am really impressed with evw and nielson. Will be good when jmac and wright get back there, not to mention marley williams). Midfield needs more depth. Dusty and Kelly would go a long way to correcting this.

Marley Williams for pick 105 and had the best season to date.
Ben Brown almost winning the Coleman when we were limited in terms of outside class.

Those two stand out for me. Both had very good seasons.

There are so many positives from this year where there were so many negatives.

Biggest negative - ******* injuries.

They robbed us of Jacobs, Junker, Ahern, and Wright for an entire season.

It was our chance to see some of the kids in action and unfortunately they struck wood, turner, hibberd, and EVW again.

Pruess had setbacks and did Clarke. Both seemed raring to go at the start. Anderson had niggles throughout the season, as did ziebell.

Daw couldn't get going AGAIN.

JMac got struck down as did Marley.

Simpkin was robbed of games. So was McKay in the middle of the year.

Wagner was unlucky. I feel for the kid. He put in an exceptional pre-season. Once he ran into an elbow, then when he came back he got injured again.

THE ONLY GOOD THING WAS - Garner. Thank christ he found some luck this year. Hopefully his luck continues and Daw and Brown stay injury free throughout the pre-season (both are yet to have a full one).

* YOU 2017 - THE YEAR OF THE INJURY!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back