Preview Season 7, Round 8 v Brisbane: Friday 14 October @ Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Great respect for you Cmstab and your loyalty to Crows and Marinoff and take your point where Hatchard not breaking free this year and delivering the pass.
But there is no point getting the ball if you give it to opposition and that's what Marinoff does a lot, but this game she turned it over 80-90% of her possessions.
Even the commentators who rave about her mentioned in 3rd Qtr of 11 possessions 11 turnovers.
I am glad we have her on our team but unless she can improve this area of her game we are going to get destroyed on the rebound like Brisbane did and more will as other teams get to and beyond our levels.
Think a lot of the slipping of standards in many of our players is that Clark is a players coach and not up to handling opposition coaches tactics and other teams player standards getting to our level.
Skills of some of our younger ones is great to see but the kicking skills of some of experienced players still woeful .
Just my views as like all I want to continue to see AFLW team dominate.

I actually agree with our dear commander.

The last 3.5 years I have been really really impressed, and if you watch her closely, you don't really see that 2017 game much anymore. Just then it's all she was.

But this week, the pressure Brisbane played was too much for our girls to cope with (Other than Biddell/Allen/Charlton imo) And Ebony fell apart and had probably her worst game in her career for effectiveness. Sure, she got the ball alot, but it was so useless, it was like giving Brisbane an extra player as she just kicked it to them all game.

This weekend was embarrassing for Marinoff. But that's not her game anymore, it's just what people perceive her as, as that's what she was early on as we got to know the girls.

The thing is, if you're winning the ball in contests, you need players ahead of the ball to give you options, or at least work to half the next contest. Most of the time Marinoff was winning it against multiple opponents and had little option but to just move it forward, and nobody ahead of the ball other than Randall (when she was there) was doing anything much to win it.

So anyway, with Collingwood getting a percentage booster and Geelong continuing on winning, next week's match against Geelong becomes crucial. If we lose it, we very likely miss out on a top four spot, with out only real remaining hope at that point being that Collingwood loses to both North and Brisbane (which is a realistic possibility).

Great respect for you Cmstab and your loyalty to Crows and Marinoff and take your point where Hatchard not breaking free this year and delivering the pass.
But there is no point getting the ball if you give it to opposition and that's what Marinoff does a lot, but this game she turned it over 80-90% of her possessions.
Even the commentators who rave about her mentioned in 3rd Qtr of 11 possessions 11 turnovers.
I am glad we have her on our team but unless she can improve this area of her game we are going to get destroyed on the rebound like Brisbane did and more will as other teams get to and beyond our levels.
Think a lot of the slipping of standards in many of our players is that Clark is a players coach and not up to handling opposition coaches tactics and other teams player standards getting to our level.
Skills of some of our younger ones is great to see but the kicking skills of some of experienced players still woeful .
Just my views as like all I want to continue to see AFLW team dominate.

As the standard of the competition increases the more Marinoff is getting exposed, it's a tough one because she tries her guts out but she is a bit like an out of date Thommo.

Plods from one contest to the next, hacks the ball forward without looking.

Six years in she should be in better shape, if she was fair dinkum and not coasting on her natural abilities. A higher fitness level might see her being able to break from a contest.

Seems harsh to criticise her because she is a good player - just reckon she could get to the next level if she had Chelsea's or Erin's work ethic.

Generally our players look a bit heavier then our opponents. I wonder if it has been a deliberate gym/fitness routine by us - go in heavier and not leaner. Emphasis on contested ball, not so much run/spread and carry.

Every season we seem to get comments about Marinoff being unfit and out of shape. I don't get it. She doesn't look unfit at all to me and tends to stay super involved all match long. She isn't labouring between contests, in fact the opposite is true. She gets so much ball and so many tackles because she is fit enough to remain involved all match long. I find it bizarre that anyone would suggest her issue is work rate. I would say it's probably her biggest strength!

Against almost all other opposition her disposal efficiency is just fine, well in line with other inside mids. Brisbane over the past few seasons has been the exception, since they hunt the ball in packs and take away her time, and also dominate our forwards so she has no good options ahead of her.

She is not the problem. And as for her becoming "exposed" as the comp progresses, she was judged third best in the comp last season, and realistically it was probably the second except Hatchard took a bunch of votes. Her standinh in the comp is improving with time, not going backwards.

Adelaide’s hopes of creating history and becoming the first team to defend an AFLW premiership has suffered a huge blow with captain Chelsea Randall’s season now up in the air.
Randall will miss the rest of the home-and-away AFLW season and now faces a race against time to prove her fitness for the Crows finals campaign, in what would be a huge blow for Adelaide.

The Crows inspirational captain suffered what the club is saying was a high-grade ankle sprain in the final quarter of the 22-point loss to Brisbane at Metricon Stadium on Friday night.

After landing awkwardly in a marking contest with Orla O’Dwyer with just minutes to go, Randall hobbled gingerly to the bench and finished the match with her ankle iced up.

On Monday the Crows announced that Randall will be sidelined for three to five weeks.

A three week absence would include the first week of finals.

Injured Adelaide captain Chelsea Randall faces a race against time to be fit for finals.

Injured Adelaide captain Chelsea Randall faces a race against time to be fit for finals.
Adelaide head of women’s football Phil Harper was hopeful Randall would be fit for the upcoming finals series.

“Scans have shown that Chelsea suffered a high-grade ankle sprain after landing awkwardly from a marking contest,” Harper said.

“Chelsea will be pushing hard to be fit to play for finals and we will do all we can to support her in her rehabilitation.”

The Crows sit in fourth place on the ladder, on the same amount of points as Geelong and Richmond.

They take on the Cats on Friday night at Unley Oval before playing St Kilda in their final home-and-away season match.

As the standard of the competition increases the more Marinoff is getting exposed, it's a tough one because she tries her guts out but she is a bit like an out of date Thommo.

Plods from one contest to the next, hacks the ball forward without looking.

Six years in she should be in better shape, if she was fair dinkum and not coasting on her natural abilities. A higher fitness level might see her being able to break from a contest.

Seems harsh to criticise her because she is a good player - just reckon she could get to the next level if she had Chelsea's or Erin's work ethic.

Generally our players look a bit heavier then our opponents. I wonder if it has been a deliberate gym/fitness routine by us - go in heavier and not leaner. Emphasis on contested ball, not so much run/spread and carry.
Marinoff “should be in better shape” 😂 😂 😂

Haha update your knowledge, maybe the 2020 version of Marinoff might have enjoyed the off-season a bit too much but the 2022 version would be in the top 5 fittest players in the comp, runs all day from deep defensive 50 to deep forward 50, she’s a ridiculous endurance athlete. If you follow her on insta you’d know some of the fitness stuff she does especially during the off-season.

She shouldn’t avoid criticism from the dumb/poor games she’s had this season against Melbourne and Brisbane where she had no time or space whatsoever given to her by those opposition, but those 2 teams have made the rest of the Crows team and the other top players in the competition look bog average this season too.

Adelaide’s hopes of creating history and becoming the first team to defend an AFLW premiership has suffered a huge blow with captain Chelsea Randall’s season now up in the air.
Randall will miss the rest of the home-and-away AFLW season and now faces a race against time to prove her fitness for the Crows finals campaign, in what would be a huge blow for Adelaide.

The Crows inspirational captain suffered what the club is saying was a high-grade ankle sprain in the final quarter of the 22-point loss to Brisbane at Metricon Stadium on Friday night.

After landing awkwardly in a marking contest with Orla O’Dwyer with just minutes to go, Randall hobbled gingerly to the bench and finished the match with her ankle iced up.

On Monday the Crows announced that Randall will be sidelined for three to five weeks.

A three week absence would include the first week of finals.

Adelaide head of women’s football Phil Harper was hopeful Randall would be fit for the upcoming finals series.

That's an enormous blow :(

The four week finals series will help give her time to get back, but we will need to stay alive long enough.

This marries up with another thought I've had recently. With the way Randall plays I think she should stay down back, for her own good. She beats her opponents by throwing her body around and using ridiculous athleticism. Down back you might have to do this 10-15 times, but in the midfield it could be 50+ times a match. I've lost count of how many times this season I've seen Randall do something and thought "Jesus woman, slow down, you're going to get hurt!"

Marinoff “should be in better shape” 😂 😂 😂

Haha update your knowledge, maybe the 2020 version of Marinoff might have enjoyed the off-season a bit too much but the 2022 version would be in the top 5 fittest players in the comp, runs all day from deep defensive 50 to deep forward 50, she’s a ridiculous endurance athlete. If you follow her on insta you’d know some of the fitness stuff she does especially during the off-season.

She shouldn’t avoid criticism from the dumb/poor games she’s had this season against Melbourne and Brisbane where she had no time or space whatsoever given to her by those opposition, but those 2 teams have made the rest of the Crows team and the other top players in the competition look bog average this season too.
Guess the last I wanted to correct from my post was I never mentioned about Ebonys fitness or application ,only about her turnovers which went to another level against Brisbane and highlighting you can't count possessions if by far majority are turnovers ,and reason felt wanted to post again was that AFL had her listed as 2nd best on ground against Brisbane and that even her most ardent fan couldn't agree.
We really are going to need both our 2 mid stars to go to another level with Randall injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back