Six new Faces

Remove this Banner Ad

From Nick Bowen's AFL site article:

"The last time the club had four debutants in one game was round one, 2007 when Matt Campbell, Lachie Hansen, Matt Riggio and Lindsay Thomas took to the field for the first time."

"The club hasn't played a game without at least one of Petrie, Harvey or Firrito since round 19, 1999."

Matt Riggio. :star::star::star:

Hang on. I was led to believe that Brad and his selection committee cronies were both too inept and too stubborn to provide this kind of selection opportunity.

Staggered that Bigfooty has lied to me again.

Fortunately, I still have the non-selection of Durds and EVW to take issue with the club about.

That said, I'm over the moon to see all the new faces, and reckon we've got the balance about right. Hope they do the club and themselves proud.

Can understand disappointment 're Durdin and EVW. However I think Thompson is somewhat maligned on this board and is still a smart player and leader down back.

Hansen has somehow been put out to pasture by some but is only a year older than a key player in Tarrant and has suffered a pretty injury ravaged run.

Thoughtful and balanced summation, KC. Nicely said.

The two of them have copped a fair bit of s**t this week. Appreciate your attempt to bring an alternate, more positive take on the subject to the table, rather than mindlessly regurgitating the popular Bigfooty groupthink line. (Which on occasion can bear little resemblance to the reality of how a player is actually rated by the club. Shocking as that may seem.)

Exciting stuff loved the way the breaking news mail was done followed by an even better clip.

Have to remember it's been a long time since we had such a massdebut.

Especially happy for Mountford and Hibberd both of whom I'd have feared would be made to sweat for months for their chance.

Preuss was a surprise albeit a welcome one. Wrecking Ball 101 this week big man. Or should I say Miley?

Jy is the only one I'm a bit trepidatious about because of his limited conditioning. Hope we have that right.

Congrats to Nathan and Marley both have brought a lease of life into the squad.

Can understand disappointment 're Durdin and EVW. However I think Thompson is somewhat maligned on this board and is still a smart player and leader down back.

Hansen has somehow been put out to pasture by some but is only a year older than a key player in Tarrant and has suffered a pretty injury ravaged run.

Team selection shall be tres interesting.
I've put Hansen out to pasture. Not concerned about his age just not sure he's got it in him to play key back anymore. Would have preferred EWV or Durdin as a third tall/mid def alongside Tarrant and Thompson. Anyway he gets his chance I hope does well.

I guess it's a big call to take more than 4 debutants into a game.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Are you happy that if Gibbo is selected, it could be at the expense of young Ryan Clarke?
As TOD won't be awake to read this until 3am tomorrow, I'll bite.

If Clarke doesn't play and Gibbo does, it's not a case of Gibbo v Clarke - every other midfielder has a spot that Clarke could have been in. But apart from that, if Clarke doesn't play I'd expect it to be because he is not quite ready after some minor but - especially for a young player - disruptive injury time in the preseason. He's one guy the coaches have been pretty keen to play where they could and he has repaid the faith, so there is confidence in him at selection.

Having no inner sanctum knowledge, I was surprised to see both Mountford and Hibberd in, and neither Durdin nor VW.

I'm just happy to go with the excitement of four boys earning their first games and two showing they are hungry and ready to make their mark at a new club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've put Hansen out to pasture. Not concerned about his age just not sure he's got it in him to play key back anymore. Would have preferred EWV or Durdin as a third tall/mid def alongside Tarrant and Thompson. Anyway he gets his chance I hope does well.

I guess it's a big call to take more than 4 debutants into a game.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I thought Lachie looked good in that late game against Hawthorn. Until he got hit in the head again, he showed a bit of what we'd been missing. I expected Durdin, but I am fine with Hansen getting another go.

Are you happy that if Gibbo is selected, it could be at the expense of young Ryan Clarke?

Granted the question is not directed at me and bizarre though this notion might be, but I actually back the coaching/selection panels to be in the best position to make the most informed decisions as to who should or shouldn't be in. So if it is Gibbo ahead of Clarke, then so be it. Of course there is also the possibility that they both might be selected or then again, neither selected.

Now I know that this is not in accordance with the general philosophy around here, being that what would those people at the club know, but I'm happy to be in that minority camp who have faith in the people charged with the duty to select the best team for the job at hand.

I'll go even further into the minority camp and say, that in my opinion Gibbo should be in the 22, based on past performance, and should he continue to perform the role that he has performed so well over his time at the club, then he should be an automatic selection.

A "novel outlook" I know and I intend to do something I should have done many many years ago; and that is to seek counselling at the very first opportunity, with a view to seeing if it is not too late to reverse a lifelong trait of having such "novel outlooks" to most things in life.

Pruess is not a flanker

Hrovat is Hungarian.

Granted the question is not directed at me and bizarre though this notion might be, but I actually back the coaching/selection panels to be in the best position to make the most informed decisions as to who should or shouldn't be in. So if it is Gibbo ahead of Clarke, then so be it. Of course there is also the possibility that they both might be selected or then again, neither selected.

Now I know that this is not in accordance with the general philosophy around here, being that what would those people at the club know, but I'm happy to be in that minority camp who have faith in the people charged with the duty to select the best team for the job at hand.

I'll go even further into the minority camp and say, that in my opinion Gibbo should be in the 22, based on past performance, and should he continue to perform the role that he has performed so well over his time at the club, then he should be an automatic selection.

A "novel outlook" I know and I intend to do something I should have done many many years ago; and that is to seek counselling at the very first opportunity, with a view to seeing if it is not too late to reverse a lifelong trait of having such "novel outlooks" to most things in life.

you're no old fool that's for sure!

Just a comment after reading the last couple of pages - the "play youf at all cost" brigade, as people like to call it, likes winning too. But, not at all cost. I, and I think others too believe that even if Gibson, Thompson, Hansen etc. might be the slightly better selection on the day, the slightly higher output they might produce (which is not even guaranteed) does not not justify leaving the future on the bench. I am not talking about selling the silverware and play just 18 year olds, no one is. Well, nearly no one... Hell, even I agree that playing EVW and Durdin this week on top of the other 6 might be a bit much.

But, I might be totally wrong but this year seems to be the perfect opportunity to blood all the young kids as much as possible, to build a strong squad which should be ready for another assault at the top 8 (or even top 4) next year. No external pressure, a lot of strong teams in a better list position than we are and plenty of young talent to chose from. What do we have to lose?

If we are dropping a few ranks and get an higher draft pick in return this year so be it. Out list would be in a better position next year.

Hrovat. The rest have names that no other North Melbourne player has ever had before.
Chicken Dinner!!

First time ever we can
Yell,: Deck him Decca.
Sing: Jy Jy, he's our guy, if he cant do it no one....
Take a selfie with Williams and label it on Insta with "Marley and Me"
Scream: He's ya bitch, Mitch
and Laugh: Braydon is such a dumb arse name, but there's fricking no way I'm gonna tell him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back