Certified Legendary Thread Sneaking in to the Grand Final............

Remove this Banner Ad

Been to every single Carlton game in Melbourne this year (plus ANZAC day and a few others) by sneaking in. Haven't paid a single dollar. I have also snuck into the rooms multiple times this year. Three main strategies I use.

1. Pretend you work there.
MCG - At the 'G they have tight security because Delaware staffers actually act as security, so you have to fit in. Wear black dress pants and black polishable shoes. Come a good 2 hours before the game minimum. Go to gate 1a where you will find the catering office. Say your name (or any name). Act surprised when they can't find you on the list. Be good at bullshitting - "Oh it's my first day so maybe that's why my name isn't on the system... oh I was a late call up because I was called up and they were understaffed". You'd be surprised how often it works. They'll give you a worker's pass on a piece of paper with a QR code. Instead of following the rest of employees walking behind the cricket nets to the uniform rooms, go to a random gate and you're in.

MARVEL - Much easier. Still recommend wearing the pants/shoes but you don't need need to come as early. Next to gate 5 there is an entrance for employees with proper security manning the check in. This may sound more daunting than the MCG but as there are no staffers from the catering company it is much easier to bullshit (and they don't interrogate you as much as as the 'G). Marvel is more difficult because you actually have to take the worker's entrance down to the basement, but take the first exit on the right and then the lift up to the seating area. You're in.

2. AROUND THE TURNSTILES (MCG ONLY)
Gate 3 is the only gate where you can do this (trust me I've tried). Walk up and pretend you have a ticket. Go through the bag check area. As you are approaching the turnstiles pretend to get a phone call and walk off the side of the turnstiles and next to the taped/barriered off area. Wait for the right moment and slide under or around the barrier. Stop complaining there's too much security, I did this during the ANZAC Day game so you can imagine how busy it was with everyone looking, you guys are just pussies :p

3. HOW TO GET INTO THE ROOMS
MCG - Rooms are just off the side of MCC. Late in the 4th qtr/right at the end of the game take the lift down to level B2. Pretend to be on the phone so security is reluctant to stop you. Pretend you're in a rush. Blend in with family members and don't make eye contact with security at the entrance. Act like you're meant to be there and no one will stop you. If you want to make it easier for yourself buy cheap disposable wrist bands for one in blue, green, yellow, orange and red. Family members get given a wrist band to wear as proof of entrance but the colour alternates each game/week. Bring one of all five with you.

MARVEL - Rooms are just bellow aisle 33. Late in the 4th qtr/right at the end of the game take the workers lift down to the basement. Lucky for you security won't be checking wrist bands at the entrance to the rooms, but rather outside the lift where family is coming from. Blend in and walk in. Happy days.

I've got heaps of photos and videos of me sneaking in this year. Have also sat on the interchange bench after games and even in the player's showers/ice bath areas (kind of weird, I know). I've used the same techniques this year to get into John Cain Arena (NBL), AAMI park (NRL) and Rod Laver Arena (KISS/Michael Buble). Any questions feel free to ask. :)

Been to every single Carlton game in Melbourne this year (plus ANZAC day and a few others) by sneaking in. Haven't paid a single dollar. I have also snuck into the rooms multiple times this year. Three main strategies I use.

MCG - At the 'G they have tight security because Delaware staffers actually act as security, so you have to fit in. Wear black dress pants and black polishable shoes. Come a good 2 hours before the game minimum. Go to gate 1a where you will find the catering office. Say your name (or any name). Act surprised when they can't find you on the list. Be good at bullshitting - "Oh it's my first day so maybe that's why my name isn't on the system... oh I was a late call up because I was called up and they were understaffed". You'd be surprised how often it works. They'll give you a worker's pass on a piece of paper with a QR code. Instead of following the rest of employees walking behind the cricket nets to the uniform rooms, go to a random gate and you're in.

MARVEL - Much easier. Still recommend wearing the pants/shoes but you don't need need to come as early. Next to gate 5 there is an entrance for employees with proper security manning the check in. This may sound more daunting than the MCG but as there are no staffers from the catering company it is much easier to bullshit (and they don't interrogate you as much as as the 'G). Marvel is more difficult because you actually have to take the worker's entrance down to the basement, but take the first exit on the right and then the lift up to the seating area. You're in.

Gate 3 is the only gate where you can do this (trust me I've tried). Walk up and pretend you have a ticket. Go through the bag check area. As you are approaching the turnstiles pretend to get a phone call and walk off the side of the turnstiles and next to the taped/barriered off area. Wait for the right moment and slide under or around the barrier. Stop complaining there's too much security, I did this during the ANZAC Day game so you can imagine how busy it was with everyone looking, you guys are just pussies :p

MCG - Rooms are just off the side of MCC. Late in the 4th qtr/right at the end of the game take the lift down to level B2. Pretend to be on the phone so security is reluctant to stop you. Pretend you're in a rush. Blend in with family members and don't make eye contact with security at the entrance. Act like you're meant to be there and no one will stop you. If you want to make it easier for yourself buy cheap disposable wrist bands for one in blue, green, yellow, orange and red. Family members get given a wrist band to wear as proof of entrance but the colour alternates each game/week. Bring one of all five with you.

MARVEL - Rooms are just bellow aisle 33. Late in the 4th qtr/right at the end of the game take the workers lift down to the basement. Lucky for you security won't be checking wrist bands at the entrance to the rooms, but rather outside the lift where family is coming from. Blend in and walk in. Happy days.

I've got heaps of photos and videos of me sneaking in this year. Have also sat on the interchange bench after games and even in the player's showers/ice bath areas (kind of weird, I know). I've used the same techniques this year to get into John Cain Arena (NBL), AAMI park (NRL) and Rod Laver Arena (KISS/Michael Buble). Any questions feel free to ask. :)
Magnificent

Word of warning people. I’ve worked at the G for over 30 years as an attendant. GF day used to be fun, snuck in heaps of mates over the years. The passout system was the best… Nowdays it’s like the US president is coming to town type security. You gotta have big balls to try but it’s not impossible if ‘you look the part’ and stay calm. I’ll get the call next week like i do every year from all my Pie mates if they make it. Apologies but no in advance fellas.

Legend 👍

If you can get through Carpark E entrance on Brunton Ave you would find yourself outside of the umpires change room entrance.

From there, don't try to enter the umpires rooms but there is a lift that takes you to all 4 levels of the Southern Stand.

View attachment 1506365
Got in this one way once in GF week in the 1990s. Me and a mate already had tickets to the game, so it wasn’t ‘sneaking in’ as such, but on the Thursday before the game we just happened to be in the city and passed by the G on the way home. Said to each other “Let’s see if you can get in” and just walked down Brunton Ave to this very entrance, down the driveway and into the car park. The AFL’s offices were located in that part of the ground at the time, you could just walk straight in to them as well.

Anyway, we walked through the car park, kept walking, found a lift, got up to Level M and just kept going. And going. And going. There was lots of activity going on at the ground, two days before the big game, but no one said anything. We got halfway around the ground and all the way up to the top deck of the old Olympic Stand before anyone said anything. And when they did, it was just a bloke who told us to go back to the ground floor - not leave the stadium, not “what the f... are you doing here”, just go back to the ground floor. So we did, and kept walking. Checked out the old Members Stand as well (all sorts of places that us plebs would never see on match day) and then after about an hour decided we’d seen enough on our self-guided tour and walked straight back out. It ended up being more interesting than the game itself, as the Cats got flogged.

Some intrepid reader should try this exercise again on Thursday next week. Let me know how far you get.

Got in this one way once in GF week in the 1990s. Me and a mate already had tickets to the game, so it wasn’t ‘sneaking in’ as such, but on the Thursday before the game we just happened to be in the city and passed by the G on the way home. Said to each other “Let’s see if you can get in” and just walked down Brunton Ave to this very entrance, down the driveway and into the car park. The AFL’s offices were located in that part of the ground at the time, you could just walk straight in to them as well.

Anyway, we walked through the car park, kept walking, found a lift, got up to Level M and just kept going. And going. And going. There was lots of activity going on at the ground, two days before the big game, but no one said anything. We got halfway around the ground and all the way up to the top deck of the old Olympic Stand before anyone said anything. And when they did, it was just a bloke who told us to go back to the ground floor - not leave the stadium, not “what the f... are you doing here”, just go back to the ground floor. So we did, and kept walking. Checked out the old Members Stand as well (all sorts of places that us plebs would never see on match day) and then after about an hour decided we’d seen enough on our self-guided tour and walked straight back out. It ended up being more interesting than the game itself, as the Cats got flogged.

Some intrepid reader should try this exercise again on Thursday next week. Let me know how far you get.
Good story - although it's highly unlikely your experience could be successfully recreated today.
For one thing in the 1990's CCTV and related resources were virtually non-exisitent. Accordingly I suggest if anyone undertook your journey today, even if they did somehow get into a lift unabated, I'd wager as soon as you got out there would one or two security staff there to check your ID and related access accreditation.

To amend your closing remark; 'Let me know how far you get - beyond the driveawy..?'

Last edited:
Catering is always going to be your best bet here, though I imagine it's stricter now than it was 10-15 years ago, especially on grand final day. Actually maybe stricter isn't the right word because that implies there's a person at the door who actually gives a s**t... It's more the person at the staff entrance will have a better system to use to prevent non-employees from getting in. Photo Id, real-time access to who's on shift, who's not and who's called in sick, agency replacements etc. These days I assume they'd have an app for availability and the turnstile only lets through those working.

Circa 2010 when I worked sporting events for a few years, it was printed lists so if you rocked up and your name wasn't on the staff sheet it was usually such a pain in the ass to work out if you were actually on shift that they just let you in with minimal fuss. I did that for a couple of Eagles games at the MCG where I just said I was working and got in with no drama. No one ever followed it up. I can't imagine it would have been so easy for a final or a blockbuster match, although I did get in for one final by getting marked off and then just not turning up to the bar. They called me during the week and I said no I called in sick and that was the end of that. You gotta remember back in these days there are at least six people at the staff entrance on a big match (sometimes as many as probably ten IIRC) plus someone taking calls for people turning up late or sick and then someone had to collate all that at the end of a shift... There's just so much room for human error. When confronted if you don't relent, the person on the phone will just put it in the too-hard basket. This person is just some admin office bod earning a fair chunk less than whatever the median salary was then so they aren't interested in a confrontation over paperwork unless they happen to be a massive brown-nose.

And ultimately what's the worst that would happen to you? They fire you. "Ooo no MCG, don't fire me from my 10 hours and $250 a week job, which of course only runs through the winter and about 6 or 7 days in the summer". Handy enough cash for a student it was but not exactly unattainable by other means if worst came to worst (which it never did).

Last edited:

Lmfao 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Catering is always going to be your best bet here, though I imagine it's stricter now than it was 10-15 years ago, especially on grand final day. Actually maybe stricter isn't the right word because that implies there's a person at the door who actually gives a s**t... It's more the person at the staff entrance will have a better system to use to prevent non-employees from getting in. Photo Id, real-time access to who's on shift, who's not and who's called in sick, agency replacements etc. These days I assume they'd have an app for availability and the turnstile only lets through those working.

Circa 2010 when I worked sporting events for a few years, it was printed lists so if you rocked up and your name wasn't on the staff sheet it was usually such a pain in the ass to work out if you were actually on shift that they just let you in with minimal fuss. I did that for a couple of Eagles games at the MCG where I just said I was working and got in with no drama. No one ever followed it up. I can't imagine it would have been so easy for a final or a blockbuster match, although I did get in for one final by getting marked off and then just not turning up to the bar. They called me during the week and I said no I called in sick and that was the end of that. You gotta remember back in these days there are at least six people at the staff entrance on a big match (sometimes as many as probably ten IIRC) plus someone taking calls for people turning up late or sick and then someone had to collate all that at the end of a shift... There's just so much room for human error. When confronted if you don't relent, the person on the phone will just put it in the too-hard basket. This person is just some admin office bod earning a fair chunk less than whatever the median salary was then so they aren't interested in a confrontation over paperwork unless they happen to be a massive brown-nose.

And ultimately what's the worst that would happen to you? They fire you. "Ooo no MCG, don't fire me from my 10 hours and $250 a week job, which of course only runs through the winter and about 6 or 7 days in the summer". Handy enough cash for a student it was but not exactly unattainable by other means if worst came to worst (which it never did).
I do some casual work at Marvel/MCG. Can verify that you click on an email link on the day of your shift, enter your barcode and select the game you are working at. That activates your pass for that game. Tracking your hours for pay is on a separate app.

No idea if on the back énd the supervisor submits a list of if they get a report. I would imagine so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can get through Carpark E entrance on Brunton Ave you would find yourself outside of the umpires change room entrance.

From there, don't try to enter the umpires rooms but there is a lift that takes you to all 4 levels of the Southern Stand.

View attachment 1506365

I say we utilise the "Area 51" tactic but split our numbers between both entrances (this one further down Brunton Ave.) nominate one person to go up to someone and play dumb to divert their attention and we make off to the nearest door toward inside. God speed brothers.

1663032143861.png

Good point, here's my plan.

Each light tower is roughly 240 feet tall, so if we half this it comes to 120ft.

Knowing this we can assume that flying up to half of the light tower is free air space.

So, what can we get to?
This terrace looks perfect, now how to get up there?
View attachment 1506820

Overall a simple and easy plan

Use the drone to pick up tickets.. job done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back