Star Wars Solo - A Star Wars Story (2018) -- Spoiler Tags and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Question.....
darth maul.....did he have legs in the movie?

also, where does this fit into the star wars timeframe?

Some years before A New Hope

And to answer the spoiler question - yes

Just saw the movie and it was on par with Rogue one for mine.

I cared more about the characters than in Rogue one but it was also had more cringeworthy moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a shame Solo isn't doing well in the BO becuase I would have liked his story to be expanded on. I feel the movie left a fair bit of room for Han to develop before A New Hope and Lando before Empire Stikes Back.

This movie was a morsel of Star Wars tasty self, I can't understand why, if you are going to do these
why you didn't they add Jabba, IG88 etc... We didn't need Maul.

Some major missed opportunities to get new and old in, with popular Star Wars characters already there to be explored.
(yes I get sequels... but it was a no brainer for me)
3.5/5

Last edited:
This movie was a morsel of Star Wars tasty self, I can't understand why if you are going to do these why you don't add Jabba, IG88 etc... We didn't need Maul.

Some major missed opportunities to get new and old in, with popular Star Wars characters already there to be explored.
(yes I get sequels but a no brainer for me)
3.5/5

:think:;)

WHY STAR WARS IS DEAD by GG.exe

We're all in denial. Let's face it -- Star Wars jumped the shark after the Original Trilogy.

Whilst the Prequel Trilogy is still cool in many ways, really, that special rare lightning in a bottle of Star Wars was in the Original Trilogy. It was just perfect in so many ways. The whole thing should've ended at that. Lucas's attempt to re-kindle Star Wars thru the Prequel Trilogy was a flop because it was simply exposition, filling in information, fan service character appearances, connecting dots as a story. There was nothing truly interesting about the story arc of the entire Prequel Trilogy in comparison to the Original Trilogy. Sure, it was great seeing Palpatine/Sidious go off. Seeing young Obi-Wan. Then again, who really cares about Obi-Wan's story in the Prequel Trilogy. It was just giving him some bullshit adventures to go on to make his character seem important. But the essence of Obi-Wan was perfect in the Original Trilogy, that's all we needed of him to suit the story. Same with so much about it, no exposition was really needed, that was just the state of the galaxy, that snapshot in time, and it was captivating.

Star Wars jumped the shark really at the Prequel Trilogy. But if there was any remnant of life in it still, the Disney era has shown it's now well and truly jumped the shark. The Sequel Trilogy is a joke. Not only did they simply "soft reboot" it, they also utterly ruined it too as a story arc. And even if TLJ didn't ruin it, it's apparent Star Wars cannot escape the very small environment of tropes that surround it. Star Wars is SILLY. Not as in unrealistic, but as in CHILDISH. Men in masks running around with laser swords and floating around doing super powerful things thru a "Force". It's pretty childish and cannot escape that.

Star Wars tried to move away from the tropes in TLJ, and it showed it just cannot work, tho it NEEDS to. Lightsabers, empire vs rebels, TIE fighters screaming, stormtroopers, black cloaked and masked evil people, etc. The fans revolted when they tried something different. The same fans pined for something different. They got something different, and they cried like children. They wanted all their little toys back -- lightsaber duels, empire vs rebels, TIE fighters screaming, stormtroopers, black cloaked masked evil people, etc. Rogue One was a perfect example of giving fans what they wanted and pleasing them, whilst also further enslaving the concept of "Star Wars" to the same old tired tropes. Proving it cannot escape them.

Disney could come out with a new trilogy based in the era of the Old Republic, and have Bane anthology movies. And that would be kinda cool -- but again, Star Wars would be enslaved to regurgitating the same tropes of lightsabers, jedi vs sith, a presiding government vs a band of rebels, etc. Tho they'd be taking the peephole away from the Skywalker era and pointing it at another distant time, to make it feel interesting, it's still the same tropes which the writers/creators are burdened to HAVE TO wrap it all around in order to keep fans happy.

Disney could make a live action TV show called Star Wars Underworld, which is about the seedy underbelly of Mos Eisley or the lower worlds of Coruscant. They could make it devoid of Force users, lightsabers, Stormtroopers, and TIEs....but really it would just then be some "sci-fi show" with a Star Wars name to it. Like any sci-fi TV show you already see out there.

Essentially, Star Wars is enslaved to its small environment of tropes, and it just cannot escape it. And it's tiresome now. Childish/Silly.

Just to elaborate on something too -- the whole SJW thing. Kennedy has tried to bring in a more reasonable amount of equality now thruout the Disney era SW movies. TFA, R1, TLJ, SOLO. It's an admirable thing and a necessary thing. However, the MANNER in which they've gone about it was completely wrong, and an insult to the fan's intelligence. TLJ especially was very soap-boxish, talking down to us, and the whole Sequel Trilogy to date really has been very poorly handled in terms of how to bring about more equality. Namely, making Rey so over-powered. And then in TLJ too, talking down to men thruout the story, embarrassing them, emasculating them, etc.

Even the OT and PT weren't necessarily unbalanced in terms of equality. There were strong independent women in power and heroines, who struggled too. Made them more realistic and regardless whether you were a male or female you enjoyed all the characters. They weren't in-your-face soap-box caricatures of SJW'ism like the ST ones are.

I mention all this because look at the TV show The Expanse. It wasn't burdened with a previous two trilogies of movies, sure. But the show starts off straight up showing you tons of ethnicities in various roles, tons of males and females in positions of power, tons of ethnicities and genders represented as good and bad characters. And without ever trying to SOAP-BOX about it, about SJW'ism. As a viewer, you just embrace each character and love them all, simply because the show is so well-written, as in impeccable writing. Characters are so absorbing, their story arcs, the constant interchanging relationships, groupings of people siding with each other and then enemies and back again. Just riveting stuff. There is no "Hero's Journey" in The Expanse. It's more of a soap opera. Each episode, each event, is such a thrill of enjoyment, loving so many characters (the good ones and the bad ones).

Also, The Expanse is a more adult kind of sci-fi in terms of the basic concept. Humans colonizing this solar system. No weird aliens in fuzzy puppet suits, and all that kind of stuff seen in Star Wars. It's kind of "realistic". Just humans. With realistic tech. None of this comic book/fantasy bullshit of force powers, wands, magic spells. Which are all so silly/childish. For the minds of children. And in that concept of a colonized Solar System, done really well, with an Earth faction, a Mars faction, and the Belt faction. There are three competing worlds and types of people. Star Wars is just Sith vs Jedi really. Rebels vs Empire. There's only so much you can do with that. And we saw how the Sequel Trilogy fell into the same trap of that, and another Death Star, etc. But in The Expanse, there's a more real-world truth to it all. The Belters are working class backbone of the Solar System, rag-tag people, with their own peculiar lower-class slang and culture, like a street/ghetto culture. Mars are like this advanced unified world, militarized, high-tech, bad ass. Earthers are like spoiled upper classers, or like America, super-power who feel they ought to interfere and control everything going on in the Solar System.

Anyway, The Expanse is just a TV show, and it doesn't have anything wondrous like the Original Trilogy had. It's just a rock-solid and highly engaging sci-fi concept. There'll probably be no movies. And the TV show could very well peter out after a Season 4 and cease to exist. But it showed me how much better "SCI-FI" can be than the famous Star Trek, Star Wars, and other IPs around. There are tons of standalone sci-fi movies over the decades too, which all are meh really, tho some turned into cult classics and are cool. Fact is, there'll never be another Star Wars. And attempts to rekindle them twice now -- the Prequel Trilogy and the Sequel Trilogy/Anthologies -- are failures really. The luster is gone. They should have ended everything with just the OT. Because by trying to bring it back to life twice now, each time has just made it worse and worse as a story, concept, and shown how enslaved and limited it is to its tropes.

Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies are going to suck a big fat one, and you all know it. Just like Solo did. Sure, it was a "fun" throwaway movie. And that's exactly why it's also all bad. They can only be that now -- fun little throwaways that make like 500m in the Box Office. SW Fatigue. Jumping the Shark. All true. It's no longer an EVENT. TFA was just like TPM. Both the first SW event in over a decade type thing. People came out in droves for it. TPM and then the subsequent AOTC and ROTS, soon killed the luster of it. A decade or two passed, and then TFA was announced. It rekindled the child in all of us again. Perhaps this time! But we quickly learned, it's not just the same letdown, but it kept getting worse. There's no luster, no something special anymore. It's like when you keep making a clone or copy of something, the more you do, the worse the quality of those copies/clones become. Thus, Star Wars is truly dead. And you'll see it over time soon enough. With Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies. Gradual dwindling of enthusiasm and eventually ticket sales, bluray sales and merchandise sales. And even tho perhaps a new trilogy showcasing the Old Republic or similar will come out, and there'll be a bit of a surge again in interest, you'll all start seeing the same "you know what? I'm actually over Star Wars, it's the same tropes, enslaved, I'm outgrowing it."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back