SPFL 23/24 - On beIN Sports (Scottish Cup on 10)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think makes much difference. They need a Celtic style 30 million rebuild but without the 30 million available.
Next two transfer windows are critical for Rangers. Got about 10+ coming off contract including McGregor, Davis, Arfield, Kent, Jack, Herlander, Morelos, Tilman (loan), Sands (loan).

There's also a bunch that may feasibly be sold to get some value before they run out in 2024 like Barisic, Lundstram and Hagi.

Darvel from the sixth tier of Scottish football just knocked Aberdeen out of the Scottish Cup.
Darvel is a small town in Ayrshire who play in the West of Scotland League.
They’ve probably pulled off the greatest ever giant killing in Scottish football history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18 year old Aussie World Cup member, Garang Kuol makes his debut for Hearts on loan from Newcastle.
Looked pretty comfortable at the level and we may see some good performances from him for Hearts.

18 year old Aussie World Cup member, Garang Kuol makes his debut for Hearts on loan from Newcastle.
Looked pretty comfortable at the level and we may see some good performances from him for Hearts.
Is there any explanation why so many Socceroos are playing or have played in the SPL ?

Thanks to you and Namingja. What I meant was why hte SPL rather than EPL or Europe.?
I’d say because SPL is well below level of top 5 euro leagues and probably next tier as well. Also there’s only one Aussie at the old Firm teams..Mooy. Rest are with clubs that would struggle outside too 6-8 euro leagues

I’d say because SPL is well below level of top 5 euro leagues and probably next tier as well. Also there’s only one Aussie at the old Firm teams..Mooy. Rest are with clubs that would struggle outside too 6-8 euro leagues
Thanks TGB, as I suspected but I'm not sufficiently versed in the game to pick the difference between Scottish Cup and FA Cup games. To take it further, though, I'd have thought that many young Australian players, being grandchildren of the post WW11 Southern and Eastern European immigrants, would go to leagues whence came their grandparents. A mate of mine, of Croatian extraction, has a son who plays in a Croatian league - not a Socceroo, mind. He's very critical of the nepotism that pervades Australian junior soccer eg the striker positions go to the President's nephew whilst a better talent whose parents have no connection with the club, languish. Is that a fair criticism ?

Thanks TGB, as I suspected but I'm not sufficiently versed in the game to pick the difference between Scottish Cup and FA Cup games. To take it further, though, I'd have thought that many young Australian players, being grandchildren of the post WW11 Southern and Eastern European immigrants, would go to leagues whence came their grandparents. A mate of mine, of Croatian extraction, has a son who plays in a Croatian league - not a Socceroo, mind. He's very critical of the nepotism that pervades Australian junior soccer eg the striker positions go to the President's nephew whilst a better talent whose parents have no connection with the club, languish. Is that a fair criticism ?
Yeah a few Italian, Croatian and Greek boys have gone back to their parents homeland to try and play at least semi pro level. I haven’t experienced the nepotism you describe from my limited involvement in junior football. I think a talent would be identified and there’s other clubs you could move to if it is happening. It’s probably more a problem of proper pathways where many flounder. Like a lot of sports I’ve seen some shocking things from parents obsessed with wanting their child to be a future star including a parent running onto the ground of a u10 match and bite the arm of another parent who was refereeing!

Yeah a few Italian, Croatian and Greek boys have gone back to their parents homeland to try and play at least semi pro level. I haven’t experienced the nepotism you describe from my limited involvement in junior football. I think a talent would be identified and there’s other clubs you could move to if it is happening. It’s probably more a problem of proper pathways where many flounder. Like a lot of sports I’ve seen some shocking things from parents obsessed with wanting their child to be a future star including a parent running onto the ground of a u10 match and bite the arm of another parent who was refereeing!
Thanks TGB. I would hope that what my mate described isn't entirely accurate or. at least, not at the level where representative teams are chosen. Your last sentence is a reminder of a grade 5B Scotch -v- Xavier Aus Rules game when not only did the Umpire have to threaten a parent with calling off the match but had to break up a mud pie fight. Gee, we are having good lives, eh !

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back