St Kilda to wear white clash jumper for Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

NOPE WAIT UP PEOPLE!
There is still a clash in the jumpers!

St.Kilda's vertical black stripe clashes where Collingwoods black stripe is... Eddie will not be happy Demetriou!
Your Collingwood hatred/obsession used to be quite cute now it's just sad. I'd be seeing someone about it because if the result doesn't go the way you want it I'd fear for your stability.

And the 2000's when they wore yellow
Which was the same as they wore around WWI dumb dumb...

Red, White and Black was the Germans colours for all that didnt know.

2001-2003 they wore yellow for Away jumpers from sponsorship from Pura Light Start.

FMD!

who changed when and how many times is irrelevant.

clubs are entitled to utilise any home match-day uniform they want. their reasons are their own.

the issue is the manner in which the AFL determined who gets to wear the home strip. GF is a neutral match, a coin toss wouldve been most appropiate and fair. But as we know, the AFL is far from this when making decisions. There is always a hierachial approach to decision-making.

Congrats to the STK club on moving on and focusing on the main objective once the they were informed of the kit priority allocation. They couldve kicked up a stink for a few days, but then, what it really more important - what your club wears in the match, or winning the premiership?

If STK win the GF, the history books will show '2010 PREMIERS - ST KILDA FOOTBALL CLUB'.

So some perspective STK fans. Keep the eyes on the prize, and dont waste energy on minor details.

Who knows, after this match, the club may have two guernseys to be worn with pride. Just ask an AC MILAN fan who have just as much love for their multiple Champions League winning 'all-white' strip, as they do for their traditional 'red & black stripes shirt, white shorts, and black socks' strip. As such, their away strip is as iconic as their home.

EDIT - at least STK have a decent (albeit bastardised of the original) alternate, unlike clubs such as HAW & ADE with BS mickeymouse monikers on their guernseys.

Ridiculous traditional jumpers never seemed to be a problem 10 and 20 years ago.Afl got it wrong grand final day is traditionanly the afl biggest day as is for the clubs competing.Saints hard done by.

If St Kilda could just change the back of the home jumper to white, rather than black, then the clash is gone. As the backs of the jumper is where the major clash is.

Too simple I suppose though.

isnt this what STK have basically done with their seconds, albeit, with a wider white panel to give the strip an overall lighter appearance? it's not any different to how ESS have bastardised our club's home strip to make it an alternate.

what people have failed to mention is that the white panel on the front of the STK home guernsey gradually narrowed over the 20th century, to the point where from the 2008 season, it is now narrower than the outer black & red panels. the front of the second guernsey has just altered the width of the white panel in relation to the outer ones again, just not as gradually.

i'll re-iterate, one of the clubs needed to don their lighter second strip. It'll make the match a better visual experience from outset where both match-day teams are clearly and effectively distinguished, particularly on television which is how the overwhelming majority of us will be watching the match.

Of course it's reasonable for Collingwood to choose. The point is that this choice is stupid. The (new) black one just makes it worse for both teams.

Stupid Collingwood as always - hopefully they still do well enough to stop the aints getting another one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty hard to justify there's not a big club VFL bias in this matter when last time this came up it was clearly a "finish on top get to wear home jumper" but now it's the Crows on top it's a coin toss again
Vic bias always happens. Sadly

Pretty hard to justify there's not a big club VFL bias in this matter when last time this came up it was clearly a "finish on top get to wear home jumper" but now it's the Crows on top it's a coin toss again
Every time it has come us, common sense has prevailed.
Hawks v WCE for example.

I personally couldn't care less about the jumper my team wears. It won't affect their performance.

I agree and can't for the life of me understand why these things become issues. Ina professional sporting comp there simply should be non negotiable rules in place.

If you are the highest qualifying team you will wear your home strip non negotiable. We the AFL will decide what jumper the opponent is wearing and again it will not be a discussion.
Send it to the clubs and say this is now the rules for every season going forward.
Honestly I think the AFL is run by kindy kids sometimes.

This very reason is why clubs should stick to traditional designs for clash kits.

I was annoyed about wearing a clash jumper on the day but at least you knew it was St Kilda.

Imagine you had to wear a horrible cartoon jumper on the day of a grand final it'd be awful.

Thankfully this year whoever has to wear the clash strip will still be wearing something decent.

Having said that, the Crows want to bring back a clash strip with a garish logo on it. Why? I have no idea given how popular the current clash strip is.

Thankfully this year whoever has to wear the clash strip will still be wearing something decent.

Having said that, the Crows want to bring back a clash strip with a garish logo on it. Why? I have no idea given how popular the current clash strip is.
I look forward to getting this years jumper next year for half price.

I agree and can't for the life of me understand why these things become issues. Ina professional sporting comp there simply should be non negotiable rules in place.

If you are the highest qualifying team you will wear your home strip non negotiable. We the AFL will decide what jumper the opponent is wearing and again it will not be a discussion.
Send it to the clubs and say this is now the rules for every season going forward.
Honestly I think the AFL is run by kindy kids sometimes.

I think the AFL would be able to work this out in time, but they are hamstrung trying to work out how to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ out of it. It's the only thing those clowns understand. The clash jumper situation has the easiest solution, and yet the AFL can't deal with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back