• 5+

Votes: 31 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's get the win fellas.

Expecting a big show from our beast mids in Stevens, Ross & Steele tonight to give us first use of the pill.

Go well young debutant Josh Battle!

Welcome back Tom Hickey. Work hard tonight & use your around the ground agility well.

Go you Sainters!

Thank Hird for eth-dogs previews.

The whole rewarding VFL form is strange to me, of course these guys like Howlett and Bird are going to crush that level, they're guys in their late 20s who have been in the system for a long time, they should be smashing VFL level. Yet we have a big enough sample of them at AFL level to know what their ceilings are (which aint high), I don't think Bird magically got a bunch better at 28 playing VFL this year. I hope he does well or whatever but the concept of rewarding VFL form when it comes to these older guys is just weird to me since they are obviously in a much better position to succeed and look good at that level and not that likely for it to translate over considering that's where they've been relegated to.

The whole rewarding VFL form is strange to me, of course these guys like Howlett and Bird are going to crush that level, they're guys in their late 20s who have been in the system for a long time, they should be smashing VFL level. Yet we have a big enough sample of them at AFL level to know what their ceilings are (which aint high), I don't think Bird magically got a bunch better at 28 playing VFL this year. I hope he does well or whatever but the concept of rewarding VFL form when it comes to these older guys is just weird to me since they are obviously in a much better position to succeed and look good at that level and not that likely for it to translate over considering that's where they've been relegated to.
I think its to suit a need for this game... big body Watson out so in comes an experienced & hard at it mid to replace him

Surely people see that when you lose a role player like Watson you have to replace them with the next best IN THAT ROLE not just the next best player...

Bird will seriously slow up Saints ability to win easy ball, its the body block, 1 meter handball to Merrett and tackle to create a stoppage that will be valuable tonight. I love Langford but he cant replace Watson, Saints would just walk it out of the middle.

If Langford replaced Watson our clearances would be so bad, it's just not Langfords go. Bird will at least give us a fighting chance.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him run with Jack Steven.

All that you say is true. But it is equally true that we need to play for this year. Bust out gut to make finals. Would prefer a tried and true performer at that can tag the Saints prime movers than a talented kid that is playing to get game time and may or may not fire.

VFL form should be rewarded.

I think its to suit a need for this game... big body Watson out so in comes an experienced & hard at it mid to replace him
I mean, I get why and it's unlikely to be a majoring factor either way between a win or loss, but it's just more a weird philosophical selection to me, it indicates their idea is thinking to the now, and if that's the case and how they've been thinking, well to me they should judged a lot more harshly than they have been given the now is a team running the treadmill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bird2Steven
Wouldn't be surprised if he tags the tagger. They used Ross on Cotchin on Friday night. Not only did Ross frustrate Cotchin to the point of punching him in the gut, but he also got heaps of possessions himself.

I can imagine Ross will go to Merrett. Would not be surprised if Bird is used to block Ross.

Probably need somebody with more speed on Steven. Either that or win the ball and have Steven chasing us all game.

With the midfield matchups - I would probably go with a mixture of Merrett and Bird on Stevens. Merrett has the pace to go with him and can hurt the other way but we probably wouldn't want it the whole game. It would be nice to not make Stevens look like Dangerfield when he plays us for a change. Heppell vs Ross is a logical matchup and it should happen but Myers is another option and he's pretty decent defensively as long as his opponent isn't too fast.

Against their forwards our ideal matchups would be Hurley against Bruce so that he can then help out the rest of the defense. The problem with playing him on Riewoldt is that he leads up the ground a lot which will mean less opportunity for him to do his intercept work. That would mean Hartley against Riewoldt and Gleeson will play against Battle no matter what. I think Saints will want Hurley on Riewoldt. Against their small forwards I reckon we will throw McGrath the challenge against Billings but there will be a lot of mixing and matching between McGrath, Baguley and McKenna anyway.

On our forwards I'd say they will play Carlisle on Hooker which should be a good matchup for them and Brown on Daniher which should be a good matchup for us. I don't believe they will play Carlisle on Daniher - Daniher's agility would worry him and I'd be confident that Carlisle can go well against Hooker's contested marking style but if you don't play Carlisle on him he could get off the chain. Probably Gilbert to Stewart. It will be interesting to see who they play on Fantasia who is both lightning quick and pretty strong in the air for a small bloke - I'd guess Geary.

With the midfield matchups - I would probably go with a mixture of Merrett and Bird on Stevens. Merrett has the pace to go with him and can hurt the other way but we probably wouldn't want it the whole game. It would be nice to not make Stevens look like Dangerfield when he plays us for a change. Heppell vs Ross is a logical matchup and it should happen but Myers is another option and he's pretty decent defensively as long as his opponent isn't too fast.

Against their forwards our ideal matchups would be Hurley against Bruce so that he can then help out the rest of the defense. The problem with playing him on Riewoldt is that he leads up the ground a lot which will mean less opportunity for him to do his intercept work. That would mean Hartley against Riewoldt and Gleeson will play against Battle no matter what. I think Saints will want Hurley on Riewoldt. Against their small forwards I reckon we will throw McGrath the challenge against Billings but there will be a lot of mixing and matching between McGrath, Baguley and McKenna anyway.

On our forwards I'd say they will play Carlisle on Hooker which should be a good matchup for them and Brown on Daniher which should be a good matchup for us. I don't believe they will play Carlisle on Daniher - Daniher's agility would worry him and I'd be confident that Carlisle can go well against Hooker's contested marking style but if you don't play Carlisle on him he could get off the chain. Probably Gilbert to Stewart. It will be interesting to see who they play on Fantasia who is both lightning quick and pretty strong in the air for a small bloke - I'd guess Geary.
If we play Merrett in a defensive role on Steven then we may as well not even show up tonight.

If Bird is our Watson replacement (which seems fair enough) then is the plan to keep him around if Watson retires at the end of the year, or are we hinging our trade period strategy on being able to obtain his (Watson's) replacement?
If we can't bring in a replacement does that mean Woosha has to come up with a new game plan for next season instead of experimenting now with players in different roles?

If Bird is our Watson replacement (which seems fair enough) then is the plan to keep him around if Watson retires at the end of the year, or are we hinging our trade period strategy on being able to obtain his (Watson's) replacement?
If we can't bring in a replacement does that mean Woosha has to come up with a new game plan for next season instead of experimenting now with players in different roles?
I think Myers is Watsons replacement next year, but until he finds his groove we need another hard body in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back