Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

20180121_121810.jpg

You'd go cross eyed after a big day on beers walking through that.

Interesting that they chose to go the "scattered coloured seats" for the top tier similar the to the Gabba to lend illusion of a bigger crowd if the stadium is less than 75%. I was originally a fan of the idea for AO, but the effect would look odd given the colours of seats we have, and I've come around to our current setup.

It does look good given the seat colours at Optus Stadium however.
Need to do something to try and make it look interesting when its empty..

The last 3 months or so I've spent a bit of time looking at this amazing Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta and posted some stuff in the AFL stadiums board thread on new international stadiums. Early in January I posted this about the pricing at the futuristic Mercedez Benz stadium has looked backwards for prices. Watch the video of the president and CEO explains why and how they can do it. Oz stadiums should listen and do similar deals.

https://www.fastcompany.com/video/w...ic-new-stadium-has-throwback-pricing/NSQggMeL
With $2 hotdogs, $2 sodas (with unlimited refills) and $5 beer, Mercedes-Benz Stadium will open this fall with the NFL’s lowest prices.

IMG_0206.jpg

And the otherday this story on ESPN confirmed how well its worked. You just know the SMA will completely ignore this evidence.

http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/story/_/...-more-money-mercedes-benz-stadium-concessions
Sports fans who have long criticized their favorite teams for the prices they charge at the stadium might finally get their wish of cheaper concessions. That's what could happen if others follow the lead of Atlanta Falcons and United owner Arthur Blank, whose group revealed Thursday that, despite lowering their food and beverage prices to the lowest in all of major professional American sports, fans actually spent more.

Steve Cannon, CEO of the AMB Group, Blank's holding company, told ESPN that although food and beverage prices were 50 percent lower in its new Mercedes-Benz Stadium than the prices in the Georgia Dome the previous year, fans spent 16 percent more. "There's a huge value in delighting your fan base, to make them as happy as they could possibly be," Cannon said. "We started with one of the biggest pain points and it paid off." To coincide with opening Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the AMB Group announced their "Fan First Menu Pricing." Unlimited Coca-Cola would cost $2, so too would a bottle of water, popcorn, a hot dog and a pretzel. For $3 each, fans could get waffle fries, a slice of pizza, or nachos with cheese. Those prices included tax. No change would help serve to speed the ease of transactions.

The new stadium also had 65 percent more points of sale and 1,264 more beer taps than the Georgia Dome did as well as self-serve soda machines.......... Merchandise sales were also up 88 percent.
http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/story/_/...-more-money-mercedes-benz-stadium-concessions

And the stadium itself is an engineering and architectural marvel. There is an optical illusion that the 8 panels with 500 tons of steel each and translucent panels are moving on an angle but if you look at the GIF and look at the rails on the fixed roof section you see they move in a straight line. The video below with the Atlanta Falcons' President and CEO then gives a great explanation of this illusion as well as some of the outstaning features of the stadium. But at $1.6 USD billion after an initial budget of $700m new stadium, it should be. It opened in August 2017 just before the Atlanta Falcons' first home game.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/keithf...um-atlantas-epic-nfl-wonderplex/#3ba60760659d
LEED platinum certified (an NFL first), the stadium features 4,000 solar panels, colorful LED lighting, and it uses 47% less water and 29% less energy than a typical stadium. It covers more than 2 million square feet, ample room for Blank to stage his comical victory dances. The stadium’s hallmarks—a translucent, eight-petaled ocular retractable roof (which kinetically opens and closes camera lens-style in less than 12 minutes); a nearly six-story-high, 360-degree Halo Video Board that frames the roof opening (the world’s largest LED scoreboard at 63,000 square feet); interior sky bridges; angular winged façade (emulating a falcon’s wing); a 16-story glass Window to the City; and a 110,000-square-foot outdoor fan gathering plaza called “Front Porch.” Hungarian artist Gabor Miklos Szoke’s intricate 66-foot-by-43-foot sculpture of a fierce falcon clutching a football welcomes Atlanta fans who pass under its massive wings. At 73,000 lbs, it’s the world’s largest freestanding bird sculpture—one of the stadium’s 180+ works of art and a symbolic homage to the so-called “Dirty Birds,” who crave revenge and redemption. The immersive stadium (with flexible seating capacity from 43,000 to 83,000) will host the Falcons, Major League Soccer’s Atlanta United FC, Super Bowl 53, the College Football Playoff National Championship, the Peach Bowl, NCAA Final Fours, Georgia Tech football, and major concerts.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/keithf...um-atlantas-epic-nfl-wonderplex/#3ba60760659d

Mercedes-Benz_Stadium_roof_animation_2.gif

And the stadium itself is an engineering and architectural marvel. There is an optical illusion that the 8 panels with 500 tons of steel each and translucent panels are moving on an angle but if you look at the GIF and look at the rails on the fixed roof section you see they move in a straight line. The video below with the Atlanta Falcons' President and CEO then gives a great explanation of this illusion as well as some of the outstaning features of the stadium. But at $1.6 USD billion after an initial budget of $700m new stadium, it should be. It opened in August 2017 just before the Atlanta Falcons' first home game.

Brilliant

That is absolutely insane! What money can buy.

That is absolutely insane! What money can buy.
And then there is the new $2bil Hollywood Park stadium being built in LA for the 2 relocated NFL teams Chargers and Rams will call their home stadium in 2019. I have put videos of that in the new international stadiums thread in the AFL Stadiums board. Edit

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...signs-and-builds.1156079/page-2#post-53398690

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...signs-and-builds.1156079/page-2#post-53729188

India are building 110k stadium ready by 2019 modeled on the MCG with a grandstand roof covering all of seats. They have knocked down the 50,000 capacity Sardar Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad (city of 6 mil) in the state of Gujarat and will have seating for 110,000 making it the biggest cricket ground in the world and equal 3rd biggest stadium behind the one in the North Korean capital Pyongyang, Michigan Stadium at University of Michigan, and Beaver Stadium of Penn State in Pennsylvania is also 110,000. It will cost 7 billion rupees or approx $110m USD. In Oz with our costs it would probably be $2bil+.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...signs-and-builds.1156079/page-2#post-53777180

Last edited:
What do you think will replace it

I was talking to a group of young kids 10-14 and asking them about sport etc. They said something that made me stop and think about the future of sport regarding participation being "why would I just sit there and watch sport when I could participate". By that they weren't referring to playing sport but actively participating and watching an electronic game.

With technology going the way it is, having personally seen some amazing business development concepts, the future is amazing. ie imagine a business model for Manchester United, it could focus on the 80,000 in the crowd or it could focus on the millions in Asia that couldn't possibly ever get a seat at Old Trafford. But imagine technology that allows people to sit at the stadium with their friends around the world and either just watch or participate. Manchester could sell out the stadium 10 times, 20 times or 1,000 times over capacity.

Then the question is, if Manchester can sell out a stadium 1,000 times over capacity and deliver a better product for audiences, why even have a stadium in the first place? Then if the game is electronic, why have players?

Not to mention just like cinemas (which will die soon) as they only exist because they get the first release. but when netflix gets big enough, they will out bid the cinemas and cinemas will die. The same said with the technology owners of sport............they will buy out the rights and the rest as they say is history. I think its a sad direction but I don't think there will be a need for stadiums in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking to a group of young kids 10-14 and asking them about sport etc. They said something that made me stop and think about the future of sport regarding participation being "why would I just sit there and watch sport when I could participate". By that they weren't referring to playing sport but actively participating and watching an electronic game.

With technology going the way it is, having personally seen some amazing business development concepts, the future is amazing. ie imagine a business model for Manchester United, it could focus on the 80,000 in the crowd or it could focus on the millions in Asia that couldn't possibly ever get a seat at Old Trafford. But imagine technology that allows people to sit at the stadium with their friends around the world and either just watch or participate. Manchester could sell out the stadium 10 times, 20 times or 1,000 times over capacity.

Then the question is, if Manchester can sell out a stadium 1,000 times over capacity and deliver a better product for audiences, why even have a stadium in the first place? Then if the game is electronic, why have players?

Not to mention just like cinemas (which will die soon) as they only exist because they get the first release. but when netflix gets big enough, they will out bid the cinemas and cinemas will die. The same said with the technology owners of sport............they will buy out the rights and the rest as they say is history. I think its a sad direction but I don't think there will be a need for stadiums in the future.
You seem to be describing 'television'

can't wait for this technology to be available to all of us

Amazing! Maybe in the future there will be some kind of "play station" that lets people play electronic games against each other ;)

Not too far from it but what I’ve seen is 3D, with people in different parts of the globe sitting next to each other, life like graphics and people can chose to be players or spectators.

So yes PlayStation on steroids

Not too far from it but what I’ve seen is 3D, with people in different parts of the globe sitting next to each other, life like graphics and people can chose to be players or spectators.

So people won't have to turn up to games, they just watch it at home on TV........... Didn't we do this back at AAMI Stadium a few years ago? From memory it didn't work too well.

The VR experience will certainly happen, but the payment model etc. will probably be similar to the TV model and people will still go to games.

The VR experience will certainly happen, but the payment model etc. will probably be similar to the TV model and people will still go to games.

VR is probably a hundred years or more away from being able to simulate the real thing.

VR is probably a hundred years or more away from being able to simulate the real thing.
Moore's Law says otherwise.

2 raised to the power of 50, maybe 75 Edit 67, is a shitload of computing power.

Last edited:

I'm thinking more in terms of a 360 degree headset for sitting in the stands in the premium seats and being able to zoom in on parts of the action otherwise passively. Filming technology for that is nearly already in our phones and with drone type tech you could have multiple viewpoints.

That is less than 20 years away I reckon. Probably closer to 10.

Moore's Law says otherwise.

2 raised to the power of 50, maybe 75 is a shitload of computing power.
The law says that computer power doubles every 2 years, not 1. And it's actually slowing down at the moment.

Edit: that's why you said 50 (in 100 years), right?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The law says that computer power doubles every 2 years, not 1. And it's actually slowing down at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That's why I said 50 not 100 as Doc said VR is probably a hundred years or more away. But if you look at the 90's and 00's it was closer to every 18 months, hence why I said 75 but I should have said 67 because for some reason I thought of 3/4 instead of 2/3.

I'll be one of them turning up to the game.

When the kids said they'd rather play the game (in virtual reality) rather than watch, I was like lol. Then when they challenged me and said, why would you just sit there like a zombie when you could be a part of it. I then realised they had a point.

Then when you lay a business model over it, it is far superior to the traditional model.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back