Analysis State of Modern AFL Commentating

Who wins the brown microphone

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The quality of what the club offers, even though they are holding all their internal stuff to themselves, is so much better than what the experts offer. You listen and they tell you stuff about how teams play and what makes them tick. Recently I learnt that Brisbane are and inside contested team, and West Coast are more a transition team. Which makes sense, but I hadn't actually looked and thought 'Brisbane really like to win that ball in contests and then set up from there. West Coast like to move the ball fast from contests and use their midfield differently.' I just had thought of both as more kick mark teams, with WC being very much a forward target type team. Simply statements like that, which are very bare and without elaboration, let me get insights into how and why teams work. The TV personalities rarely provide analysis with that insight.
Great post and hits the nail on the head.

Not sure about 7’s commentary last night. Jason Bennett doesn’t seem to have enough catchphrases or get enough players’ names wrong. He also doesn’t seem to realise that footy fans only tune in to listen to commentators talk about themselves and have some hilarious banter in the box. Bennett could’ve also added more to the call by nakedly barracking for whichever team fell behind in the last quarter.

I also think Justin Leppitsch should focus more on talking about who his best mates are at Richmond rather than providing a succinct tactical analysis of the game. Leppitsch could’ve also found some footage of one player giving another a love tap and talked about how that could spell trouble at the match review for half the game.
Reminds me of this post:

Maybe it's because half the games are as boring as batshit, 8 games so far this round and one decent game. Who would want to commentate the dons-crows game? At least bt takes the piss out of the modern game, why the f do teams have a green sign that means go? Shouldn't you play flat out all the time instead of mindlessly chipping the ball around.
Keep beets
JB can't call footy on tv, and should stick to radio only, same with farce.
Hamish- can someone explain to me what qualifications he has to call AFL? He's not an ex player, no journalism degree, but wait he's brothers the CEO.
Bennett works well with by as the straight man, like Healy and rex in the prime.
Eddie how is he still on tv?
Duck and richo- just throw out what Joe the punter says in the crowd, both guys played on instinct, they provide no special comments.
Daisy - very good most of the time, gotta say I didn't like the doodee reckless comment, he saved a certain goal, that's what our games about, it's a brutal game, which is why I like dermie, no one ever played the game tougher than the kid.
Jobe not ready
Tim the greatest boundary rider currently
Lingy and hodgy are too safe don't give an opinion and don't try say something as it might be controversial.
Thankgod we don't have basil

AFL Grand final should be
Bennett & BT
Daisy and Jimmy
Tim boundary

Also if I was the AFL I'd make the stations have the commentators live, not from the studio, how can they properly call the game, when they can't see how the when ground is set up

3 at most in the box and a boundary rider would be ideal.

A professional caller (Huddo, Pappalia, Speed, underwood etc), a veteran caller/ ex player (Dunstall, Lyon etc) and a former coach. Then have a smart recently retired or AFLW player (Bartel, Hodge, Peirce).

I don't think any ex coaches commentate at the moment. Used to have Roos and Leigh Matthews occasionally. Now there isn't really anyone.

There is a bevy of channel 7 nuffies I can't stand but BT is the worst as along with being arrogant, annoying as fu** and wrong often, he can be super cynical and dwell on negatives in teams/ games that don't warrant it. He gets on a tangent about something and ruins games by bringing it up all the time.

Back