Analysis State of Modern AFL Commentating

Who wins the brown microphone

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You really only need a play-by-play commentator, someone to co-host and then an ex-player that's crossed to occasionally for special comments. The issue at the moment that we've got way too many commentators for any given game, and they're all doing special comments.

That sort of stuff is actually embarrassing, the fake excitement, the shouting etc

Surely they are aware it actually repulses viewers and doesn't attract them?
I hated watching hawthorn in the end and not because of how good they were or the unsocial thing but just the over the top crap about Rioli. Great player when on and a joy to watch but it just went to far.

You really only need a play-by-play commentator, someone to co-host and then an ex-player that's crossed to occasionally for special comments. The issue at the moment that we've got way too many commentators for any given game, and they're all doing special comments.
The special comments should just be that “special comments”. Tell us what we don’t know and why something is happening with modern tactics. Not the generic bland stuff we hear all the time. Sometimes less is better and that’s what special comments are. Less chatter more in depth analysis. Give us what we don’t know because that’s what’ll attract new viewers. Informing them of what the average fan doesn’t know or can’t see on the screen.

I feel like 7 try and emulate FOX's NFL broadcast in some ways but don't in the ways that matter.
For one, their main commentary team on FOX is Joe Buck (play by play), Troy Aikman (color), and Erin Andrews on the sideline. It's extremely simple and works well.
Channel 7 instead on a Friday Night often have Brian Taylor and James Brayshaw, Wayne Carey, then this week for example had Luke Hodge and Jude Bolton. Is that too many voices? I don't mind the Duck but apart from his name value he doesn't really add much.

Secondly, during play by play, the shot being shown on the FOX broadcast, you can see both the QB and offensive/defensive line play, plus a zooming out camera which is showing the receivers develop their routes. Yet Seven will often cut away from the game while there is a stoppage to look at some bloke sitting on the bench, whilst there is play going on! Or they will zoom into a weird close shot, where you can't see s**t except for the player. I think that is to try and make the players stand out, in particular the superstars, but it's s**t for people trying to watch the game.

In saying that I wouldn't hate a finals commentary team of Taylor, Brayshaw, Buckley and Hodge. It's probably more the direction or lack of direction the commentators are receiving. It's funny when they get carried away on MMM, but when it's on TV for a big game it needs to be a little more serious.

I swear to God I heard Dwayne use the term "NTTAWWTteenth" at the three quarter time in Norths game, which pretty much sums up the state of commentary.

Anyway I usually just put the TV on mute and read the bigfooty gameday thread out loud during the breaks, it's awesome everyone should try it :thumbsu:

I have this dream of running into Dwayne on the street and yelling out "from the paint" while punching him square in the dick.

Too many commentators in the box.
'Boundary Riders', or whatever they're called now, add nothing to the broadcast.
The need to fill every single second with talk. This is where the ego stroking/in jokes etc, etc comes from.
Not commentary, but the ridiculous half time on-ground interviews are worthless.
They need to reset, watch some international sport to see how it should be done. Start with the EPL.
Overall, I much prefer the current radio commentary to the TV. Actually, I can't remember a time when I didn't.

Boundary riders are super important at non-Vic games because they're the only ones actually at the ground now.

They barrack hard against us every week.

Does anyone listen to Richmond games?

We are the tall poppy so understandable.

And we are Richmond which adds more mayo.

Haha...try listening to most commentators during games involving the Eagles vs any Vic team. 80% of the time it's from the pov of the Vic team. It's not just my subjective perception, try it one day and take note, it's an eye opener.

I don't actually mind BT at all. Brayshaw is a compete w***er, and guys like Darcy, Hamish & Russell are all kinds of awful. I wouldn't mind Huddo getting more of a go on FTA games given the complete lack of options.

Bennett is a 'good' commentator but is more for the purists. What he says is good but his voice isn't particular engaging, especially for a casual audience.

In your opinion what constitutes an engaging voice?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the best bits of sports coverage I have seen was the final game of the NHL Stanly Cup a few years ago. IT was a close game, with a thrilling finish, and when the buzzer went to finish it the commentary team went silent. They didn't say anything for a couple of minutes, just let the viewers watch the teams celebrate/commiserate and take it all in.

With AFL the commentators feel they have to come up with some witty catchphrase at the end to make sure it is replayed for years to come. They do it for every goal also, start their pre-rehearsed line as the player begins their run-up for a set shot, build the voice up to a shout, and then deliver one of the zingers that they have spent all week working on with the hope that it is used in the highlights package on Brownlow night.

They really do think people are mainly tuning in for them.

I haven't read the entire thread and don't intend to, BUT, at the risk of repeating myself, please be advised that NOBODY who has a BF account and posts on this board is in anyway, shape of form the AFL broadcasters (7 or Fox) 'target or broader audience'...!
This assumes BF account holders are NOT 12yo kids or a parent with kiddie in Auskick who had little interest in the game or other adults who for whatever reasons have recently discovered the game...!

For the record I agree with the general consensus that the over-top-top screaming and how every good passage of play or mark or goal has suddenly become an UNBELEIVBLE! act has reached ludicrous levels..!
The other obvious broadcasting strategy that has evolved in recent years is mimicking US sports broadcasters with these pre and post games related shows - which has very little to do with adding to the game experience as it's predominately about meeting commercial advertising commitments...

I haven't read the entire thread and don't intend to, BUT, at the risk of repeating myself, please be advised that NOBODY who has a BF account and posts on this board is in anyway, shape of form the AFL broadcasters (7 or Fox) 'target or broader audience'...!
This assumes BF account holders are NOT 12yo kids or a parent with kiddie in Auskick who had little interest in the game or other adults who for whatever reasons have recently discovered the game...!

For the record I agree with the general consensus that the over-top-top screaming and how every good passage of play or mark or goal has suddenly become an UNBELEIVBLE! act has reached ludicrous levels..!
The other obvious broadcasting strategy that has evolved in recent years is mimicking US sports broadcasters with these pre and post games related shows - which has very little to do with adding to the game experience as it's predominately about meeting commercial advertising commitments...
WTF is this reply? Not sure what you are on but this reply and disclaimer don't make snese.

James Brayshaw is terrible.

Rotates the following words for kicking. Pound,Slam,Thump. James just say kick you peanut

BT needs to go. Anyone who actually likes him , says enough

Hamish is a dumbhead and cringey.

I can handle Dwayne Rusesel to a certain extent. But i wish he would stop saying " last roll of the dice" When there is 10 minutes left and only 2 goals in it

Brenton Speed and Jason Bennett are fantastic. I like Underwood , albeit she cops so much flack for no reason. At least she calls the game

Current commentators should go back and re watch commentary from the 80s imo.

The generic style of that time was to under comment - let the pictures tell the story, give names and clarify things that viewers might miss, keep calm, and refrain from giving opinions longer than about 2 words.

Tendency now is the opposite: constant talk, exaggerating how exciting things are, ridiculous conversations (wowee Darce, they are only 6 goals down with 2 minutes left. They still might just pull off a win - what do you reckon?). And just relentless inane personal facts about players (did you know Scott Pendlebury used to play basketball?).

Old school was much better. You could pretty much interchange the commentators without noticing too.

Current commentators should go back and re watch commentary from the 80s imo.

The generic style of that time was to under comment - let the pictures tell the story, give names and clarify things that viewers might miss, keep calm, and refrain from giving opinions longer than about 2 words.

Tendency now is the opposite: constant talk, exaggerating how exciting things are, ridiculous conversations (wowee Darce, they are only 6 goals down with 2 minutes left. They still might just pull off a win - what do you reckon?). And just relentless inane personal facts about players (did you know Scott Pendlebury used to play basketball?).

Old school was much better. You could pretty much interchange the commentators without noticing too.
This!!

There are now usually 6+ people involved in "commentary" for each game, all competing with each other to keep up their own personal brand.

If c7 is wanting a play-by-play caller, they should recruit from champion data, as they have people who are paid to actually get player recognition correct, and rattle off the play as it happens.

But that leads to the question of why you need a play-by-play commentary for TV when the viewers actually can see the play unfold?

Should go back to a team of 2 or 3 per game, and less is more....they really should be just "special comments bit of flair" type people for TV....you don't need play-by-play commentary.

What the networks should do is give multiple options - the press red for Ed style biased home call, just crowd noise, do you want the umpire audio yes/no, set it up so can syn digital radio call etc.

All about improving the consumer experience, but instead we only get c7 pushing "names" at us.

Hamish and Darcy...I mean, you could toil away in some cutting edge futuristic lab for decades and not synthesise a more annoying version of a human being than either of those jokers. Just the most INANE people to ever be involved in sport broadcasting - a solid effort!

Why is TV football commentary s**t? Because football coverage, like the rest of commercial TV, is aimed at the bogan demographic.

Back