Statistics and the midfield importance

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Their 4th qtr was superb and they highlighted just how important they are for us to win games of footy. Just wanted to dissect a few stats, something we know Neeld loves raving on about, but thought we could put an explanation behind there importance.

We were well behind at 3 qtr time in the clearances department, but we dominated them in the final qtr and managed to even this out. In turn we were able to deliver the ball I50 13 more times than GWS, and we kicked a goal 37.9% of the time that we went I50, something we funnily enough excelled at, under Bailey. We also had 13 more marks I50, indicating the potency of our forward line once it's given ample opportunity.

We still lost the disposal count 360-374, however we were able to take 31 more marks, showing that we can in fact control a game of football. As we know 12 of these marks were I50, further leaving 19 marks, most of which were taken after the first or 2nd kick out of the defensive 50. This data is again a result of the midfield competing well, as the defence were under less pressure, and were able to take the ball out of defence in a less pressure-demanding way.

Finally, I was more than impressed by the tackle count, where we won convincingly 85-55. Trenners, fittingly lead the way with 10, and not too far behind was Bail with 8, in fact Grimes and Matt Jones rounded out the top 4 tacklers on the ground. It's good to see the endeavor was there, something we've been questioning for quite some time.

Today showed me that we can compete, and win these KPI's, but that it's all dependent on effort and desire. The players should take confidence out of this win, but should always be wary of the effort required to achieve these results. 1 qtr of effort may be enough to beat the Franchise teams, but it won't give you jack, against a half decent team.

That's all great, but it was against the Giants. I'm loving that winning feeling but it's all meaningless as, against decent opposition, we've been smashed. We can do all of the above against the expansion sides but everything else leaves a lot to be desired. Let's see how we go against the Lions this weekend.

That's all great, but it was against the Giants. I'm loving that winning feeling but it's all meaningless as, against decent opposition, we've been smashed. We can do all of the above against the expansion sides but everything else leaves a lot to be desired. Let's see how we go against the Lions this weekend.
Completely agree, but thought I mentioned it.
Today showed me that we can compete, and win these KPI's, but that it's all dependent on effort and desire. The players should take confidence out of this win, but should always be wary of the effort required to achieve these results. 1 qtr of effort may be enough to beat the Franchise teams, but it won't give you jack, against a half decent team.

Sylvia went to the midfield in the 4th. He had instant impact with his long boot. He had a few inside 50s with great penetration, hitting up Gawn deep. I think we had a 3 goals directly from Gawn's crumbs.

Just got to say Evans has really stepped up, thought he was just an outside mid bit has really improved his game as goes in harder. 2011 from 4 games he had 10 contested possessions and 50 uncontested possessions, from 2 games this year he already has 18 contested possessions and 19 uncontested. He's obviously worked hard last year and in the off season and he is being rewarded for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back