Surely... it's the end of Geelong home games in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong got a home final. Geelong is located within the state of Victoria.

Exactly. League corruption at it's finest. The rule even reads like a pollie wrote it.

Shame the actual real world environment and atmosphere was all Richmondy and not Geelongy. Perhaps we should call in some scientists and see which team had more crowd and ground advantage on that day.

It's just a way for the AFL to give advantage to the underdog side if it's in their interest for that underdog side to receive that advantage.

That's why it says home state and not home ground. This enables the AFL for example in a Sydney vs GWS final, to give the home ground to their favourite pet at the time. Regardless of ladder position. The current interpretation of the rule means the AFL can use it in more examples than Geelong. And if the AFL gets two clubs in each state. It will be able to manipulate premierships rather drastically.

Last edited:
Geelong got a home final. Geelong is located within the state of Victoria.

So there should be no advantage for finishing 2nd over 3rd?

Pretty much every comp in the world gives the home game to 2nd when they play 3rd. It's kind've a joke to ignore the point I'm making. Just because the AFL has some archaic rule concocted a century before there was more than 1 home state anyway. Doesn't mean they should keep it around to screw a dominant Geelong.

Last edited:
Like I said that's not that procedure. There weren't even any interstate sides until the 80's...

Sydney, West Coast and Brisbane would dispute that.

Regardless....in 120 years, how many finals have been held at KP?

The rule has nothing to do with screwing Geelong. St Kilda, Western Bulldogs or any other Etihad tenant would be in the exact same position.

Pretty much every comp in the world gives the home game to 2nd when they play 3rd. It's kind've a joke to ignore the point I'm making. Just because the AFL has some archaic rule concocted a century before there was more than 1 home state anyway. Doesn't mean they should keep it around to screw a dominant Geelong.

So tell me, how many of the Docklands domiciled teams have had their 'home' finals at docklands?

Benny I am sure you are aware but your club has played a grand total of one final at kp and lost. This is not a new issue, it's not like the afl decided to screw you. Excluding the war years Carlton didn't play finals at Princes Park, even after the legends stand was built, I don't remember blues fans sooking about home finals. I also don't remember geelong supporters sooking in any other finals series.

If it makes you feel better blaming your loss on a not playing at home, or not having enough of your own supporters turn up to the home of football knock yourself out. You were beaten by the better team on the day.

Despite the arguments from some of my fellow fans I think the only way we can reasonably argue for a home final is if we bite the bullet and ask for 11 home games in Geelong - which will have consequences for the Melbourne based members and we would need to work out a deal for them to attend away games in Melbourne (which would mean subsidising other clubs) - while we still play some home games in Melbourne we can't argue we are getting hurt by hosting finals at the G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2nd placed team got a home final at a venue within their home state.
The 3rd placed team got an away final. Who the team was or what state they are based in is irrevelant.
rubbish. the second team got a final in their oppositions home city in front of their oppositions home fans. its a disgrace that ruins the integrity of the competition. Richmonds flag has an asterix as a result.

I've seriously never seen whinging like this before from a group of supporters about the organisation of a match that didn't even knock them out of contention.

rubbish. the second team got a final in their oppositions home city in front of their oppositions home fans. its a disgrace that ruins the integrity of the competition. Richmonds flag has an asterix as a result.
Cats NEVER played home games in Melbourne? Cats have NO Melbourne based members? Cats had the SAME opportunity to get tickets for the game.

Stop crying and just move on.

Cats NEVER played home games in Melbourne? Cats have NO Melbourne based members? Cats had the SAME opportunity to get tickets for the game.

Stop crying and just move on.
Yep but this is easy for you to say because your home ground has inbuilt advantages so it’s a non issue for you isn’t it? If you were in our shoes you’d be sooking just as much, or actually more judging by the fuss you guys made at having to play a home and away game in Geelong! Crikey did you lot sook it up.;)

Great but can we play our home final on our home ground do you think then? As opposed to playing it on the oppostion’s home ground?

So what about Carlton, Essendon, North and Western Bulldogs whose home ground is Etihad? Should they feel hard done by that they ever have to place their finals at the MCG?

Time for us to all pitch in buy some wood and help the Crows and Cats supporters build a bridge and more the truck on!

Great but can we play our home final on our home ground do you think then? As opposed to playing it on the oppostion’s home ground?
I expect you believe you should hand the 2009 premiership to stkilda then. after all, their home ground is the dome (which is a different size and playing conditions to the mcg), and they finished 1st. Logically, if playing at the mcg instead of kardinia is worth the 51 points we beat you by, then playing at the mcg instead of the dome certainly worth the 12 points you beat them by.

So what about Carlton, Essendon, North and Western Bulldogs whose home ground is Etihad? Should they feel hard done by that they ever have to place their finals at the MCG?

Time for us to all pitch in buy some wood and help the Crows and Cats supporters build a bridge and more the truck on!
Yep they should also get to play home finals at their home ground-why ever not-isn’t that the point? And again-easy for you to talk about it isn’t it? You guys had conniptions just having to play a piddly H&A in Geelong.

I expect you believe you should hand the 2009 premiership to stkilda then. after all, their home ground is the dome (which is a different size and playing conditions to the mcg), and they finished 1st. Logically, if playing at the mcg instead of kardinia is worth the 51 points we beat you by, then playing at the mcg instead of the dome certainly worth the 12 points you beat them by.
Wasn’t our decision was it? Would have been more than happy to play 2009 at Etihad if that is what Saints were entitled to and wanted. Of course the G is a neutral ground for saints and Geelong so it’s a level playing field at least. The rets of your post is a bit silly though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back