Swans in Sydney v Storm in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melburnians love their sport in general, so much more than sydney siders. Melbourne is culturally 'a sports mad' city but the Swans had around a decades head start over the Storm. AFL seem to have pushed the Swans harder in Sydney than the NRL did with the Storm. I honestly don't know but you'd think the more people interested in sport in general in Melbourne would give the Storm the edge?
Yeah AFL definitely push it a lit harder. NRL has done little to help the Storm and its been left to the Storm.

I think this explains why Storm have only had 4 Victorians where as Sydney has had heaps of players from even Sydney itself.

Would say the Swans, heaps of disillusioned union fans have jumped on them plus NRL fans who were disillusioned through the super league era. Whereas the Storm are primarily people’s second team in Melbourne

Are there many Storm fans outside of Vic? Storm have a pretty decent level of support in Vic I would've thought. Always see lots of purple around when they're playing at home. Swans have a bit of a leg up starting as a relocated team maybe?

1999, I used to love trying to get across the old footbridge to the Olympic park car park, footy fans going one way and league the other (absurd when you think about it now). Asking who won, how everyone went etc. Was always a friendly vibe.

Are there many Storm fans outside of Vic? Storm have a pretty decent level of support in Vic I would've thought. Always see lots of purple around when they're playing at home. Swans have a bit of a leg up starting as a relocated team maybe?

1999, I used to love trying to get across the old footbridge to the Olympic park car park, footy fans going one way and league the other (absurd when you think about it now). Asking who won, how everyone went etc. Was always a friendly vibe
Bit of a tale of 2 states. A lot in Queensland and seem to be everyone's second team.

Only a small amount in Sydney and Syorm are hated there including by the media.

Def remember those days before apps etc. Would get asked heaps of times how we went walking past the G.

I also feel from a media prospective Storm are well respected by the Melbourne media. Swnas are to a degree but some in the Sydney media see them as a threat but Sydney media are very strange.

Lets see how much "interest" the Storm get when they aren't contending, literally haven't missed finals (or at least I can't remember when they didn't), pretty easy to follow a successful side as a side interest. Having half the QLD Origin side helped!

Surveys suggest the Swans are the most supported Club in Oz. Many would be NSW residents. Swans home games have attendances around double the best attended NRL game.

The Storm are popular in Melbourne with the sort of status of one of the local BaBaL teams. They pull pretty decent crowds that may, I am guessing, outnumber a North home game at Shocklands against the GoCo or Giants.

Fair to say both teams are entrenched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club didn't get off lightly and the players didn't know it was happening.

Oh please pigs fly too…the players didn’t know…yes signing contracts over and over again they didn’t know. They were barely punished and lost hardly any players and we all know why- they needed a successful Melbourne for it to even be a chance to be successful.

Not at all :rolleyes:
All players sign 2 different contracts and get boats mysteriously delivered to their house that they don't have to pay for

But didn’t you hear “they didn’t know”

They were only sorry when they got caught!

Not at all :rolleyes:
All players sign 2 different contracts and get boats mysteriously delivered to their house that they don't have to pay for
Players have said they didn't know and there us no evidence to suggest otherwise

Oh please pigs fly too…the players didn’t know…yes signing contracts over and over again they didn’t know. They were barely punished and lost hardly any players and we all know why- they needed a successful Melbourne for it to even be a chance to be successful.
Barely punished? Look at tge punishment Storm got vs Cronulla who were found to be over the cap when they won in 2016.

We lost Inglis, Brett White, Brett Finch and Hoffman. All origin players

I can't believe how lightly the Storm players got off for breaching the salary cap. Was any player suspended at all?
They got stripped of flags, can’t go that much harder.

Carlton cheating in the late 90’s never resulted in their 1995 flag going, although I have no idea if was occurring back then as well.

Bit of a tale of 2 states. A lot in Queensland and seem to be everyone's second team.
In my experience that's only really half true. They definitely have quite a bit of support in Queensland but they are definitely those people's first teams. They're one of the most hated teams for anyone who isn't a Storm fan.

In my experience that's only really half true. They definitely have quite a bit of support in Queensland but they are definitely those people's first teams. They're one of the most hated teams for anyone who isn't a Storm fan.
I lived in Townsville for a year and the attitude there was 'we'll support Storm over a NSW team any day'

I lived in Townsville for a year and the attitude there was 'we'll support Storm over a NSW team any day'
The attitude in SE Qld is: "F*** the Storm those cheating, non-NRL state pricks" and have the Cowboys as their second team (much to the chagrin of NQ fans). In Townsville I'd imagine it's more geared towards "F*** the Broncos" making the Storm a better choice (also the whole 'enemy of my enemy' thing)

They got stripped of flags, can’t go that much harder.

Carlton cheating in the late 90’s never resulted in their 1995 flag going, although I have no idea if was occurring back then as well.

The 1995 Flag was a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back