Swans in Sydney v Storm in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Barely punished? Look at tge punishment Storm got vs Cronulla who were found to be over the cap when they won in 2016.

We lost Inglis, Brett White, Brett Finch and Hoffman. All origin players

So you lost 1 decent player. The punishment was a slap on the wrist but we know why it was.

The players knew I don’t believe for one second they didn’t. It just doesn’t pass the pub test, if someone handed me a free boat I’d be asking where it’s from and if I had to sign another contract ai would be too!

Swans are a very popular club in sydney with widespread support in eastern suburbs and the inner west. Swans merch common on street, more then nrl merch in the inner west. No idea about the storm as I live in syd, just like most on here have no idea re swans popularity, for example some guy from brisbane

So you lost 1 decent player. The punishment was a slap on the wrist but we know why it was.

The players knew I don’t believe for one second they didn’t. It just doesn’t pass the pub test, if someone handed me a free boat I’d be asking where it’s from and if I had to sign another contract ai would be too!
I named 4 state of origin players.

Also Don't just listen to the Sydney media. You're better than that

I named 4 state of origin players.

Also Don't just listen to the Sydney media. You're better than that

They should have lost a lot more it was blatant we all know it and despite the live that they didn’t know, it does not pass the pub test one single bit. It doesn’t pass any test glad the premierships were stripped that was the least and how do you recon sides like Parramatta feel having to play a side a million over the cap. That’s only one team as well.

They should have lost a lot more it was blatant we all know it and despite the live that they didn’t know, it does not pass the pub test one single bit. It doesn’t pass any test glad the premierships were stripped that was the least and how do you recon sides like Parramatta feel having to play a side a million over the cap. That’s only one team as well.
Well why wasn't Cronullas stripped? And why did Parra get off so light when they were caught?

The NRL is a joke the way its run and has been for ages except when Greenberg was CEO

Well why wasn't Cronullas stripped? And why did Parra get off so light when they were caught?

The NRL is a joke the way its run and has been for ages except when Greenberg was CEO

Cronulla should have been albeit that wasn’t salary cap. Least some of those players retired with zero premierships as they should have. They knew what was happening. Don’t know enough about Parra’s one off the top of my head. Anyone over should have points/titles stripped though.

Cronulla should have been albeit that wasn’t salary cap. Least some of those players retired with zero premierships as they should have. They knew what was happening. Don’t know enough about Parra’s one off the top of my head. Anyone over should have points/titles stripped though.
On your original point tho re how will the Storm go when they struggle the same could be said about the Swans. Yes you guys had a mini rebuild a few years ago but haven't been a poor side since 93 and to a lesser degree 94.

Credit to both clubs as to how consistent they have been

On your original point tho re how will the Storm go when they struggle the same could be said about the Swans. Yes you guys had a mini rebuild a few years ago but haven't been a poor side since 93 and to a lesser degree 94.

Credit to both clubs as to how consistent they have been

We have had poor years. Can’t wait till Melbourne flop a year then we’ll see.

How’s the difference in attitude by the two sets of admins of the AFL and NFL.

AFL bend over backwards for Sydney basically assuring they remain competitive.

The NFL lay the boots into the Storm at every available chance.
Yep, its incredible how good the Storm have been for so long given the lack of support from head office. Amazing organisation.

Imagine GC if they were given the same treatment by the AFL

How’s the difference in attitude by the two sets of admins of the AFL and NFL.

AFL bend over backwards for Sydney basically assuring they remain competitive.

The NFL lay the boots into the Storm at every available chance.

The fact you confused the NRL and NFL is kind of telling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the Swans position in the AFL about the same as the Storm in The NRL. But the AFL is way more dominant in this country and therefore going back to the question posed by the OP, the Swans have had a greater impact in their city than the Storm

I see the Swans position in the AFL about the same as the Storm in The NRL. But the AFL is way more dominant in this country and therefore going back to the question posed by the OP, the Swans have had a greater impact in their city than the Storm

Just imagine if Sydney had the same level of on field success as the Storm has had as well. I mean pretty much every year the Storm are one of the favourites for the premiership and have been for 15 years now.

Just imagine if Sydney had the same level of on field success as the Storm has had as well. I mean pretty much every year the Storm are one of the favourites for the premiership and have been for 15 years now.
Swans have had a fair bit of success since 1996, 27 years have played 22 finals series’, 7 Grand finals, 2 premierships.

Not as much as Storm but not too far off. In comparison to the Storms 25 year history, 22 finals series’, 10 Grand finals and 4 premierships.

We have had poor years. Can’t wait till Melbourne flop a year then we’ll seesee
I wouldn't say you have been poor since 93/94 and maybe 2002 to a lesser extent. 2019/20 you had a mini rebuild but it was evident that you had seriously good kids and there weren't a lot of games where you thought 'they didn't have a crack today. The Lions in 15/16 were very poor

I definitely agree that AFL is bigger. This is hard to prove but I see so many AFL scarves and jumpers at Storm with people doing the double. Admittedly I have only been to about 5 Swans games in Sydney but don't see people in NRL gear at Swans games

I definitely agree that AFL is bigger. This is hard to prove but I see so many AFL scarves and jumpers at Storm with people doing the double. Admittedly I have only been to about 5 Swans games in Sydney but don't see people in NRL gear at Swans games
If you've never seen random souths guy, you must watch with your eyes closed ;)

Are there many Storm fans outside of Vic? Storm have a pretty decent level of support in Vic I would've thought. Always see lots of purple around when they're playing at home. Swans have a bit of a leg up starting as a relocated team maybe?

1999, I used to love trying to get across the old footbridge to the Olympic park car park, footy fans going one way and league the other (absurd when you think about it now). Asking who won, how everyone went etc. Was always a friendly vibe.
Growing up in SA when I lived in NT I started following storm being the closest team to SA.
Then moved to Brisbane and got right behind the storm going to every game they played at lang park, it was the main sport on the box and I could talk shop with work colleagues.
Now living in Melbourne precovid Id go a couple times a year and finals.
Since covid I’ve dropped off to watching results the odd game or two on the box.
Watching them live at lang park with 30k+ was awesome.
But Melbourne rectangular stadium you can’t get high enough in the stands to really enjoy it.
Like UFC, boxing, swimming, league is a better on tv, hence the crowd figures.

They got stripped of their flags and had to play a year of zero points and unlike bombers systematic doping they didn’t get rewarded the number 1 pick.
They’ve also won flags since to prove that the flags were built on culture, drive and unity not dollars and cents!

That’s probably because AAMI park is right next to the MCG and only 2 train stops from Marvel stadium.

The SCG is next to Allianz stadium home of the Sydney Roosters, but every other NRL venue in Sydney is a fair distance and trip to get to. So unless the Roosters and Swans are scheduled for a Saturday/Saturday night double I wouldn’t think too many NRL fans would go to the effort of getting to the SCG

They got stripped of their flags and had to play a year of zero points and unlike bombers systematic doping they didn’t get rewarded the number 1 pick.
They’ve also won flags since to prove that the flags were built on culture, drive and unity not dollars and cents!

They were lucky the comp needed them to succeed, they barely lost anyone, at least their premierships were stripped as they should have been. I feel more for the sides having to face a side a million bucks over the cap or whatever it was, was blatant. I hate Parramatta with a passion but they have every right to be filthy they were having to beat an illegal team. Least now all teams know what is rightfully expected not that they should have needed to be told.

I think Storm are pretty popular in Vic largely because they have been a very good team - but its not the success per se, it is the perception that they are successful because they're from Melbourne. Sydney had a very different relationship with Sydneysiders, at least initially. They were the South Melbourne outcasts from Melbourne who weren't very good and really only attracted expats from south of the border for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back