Swans Reserves (ECFL comp) 2021 (VFL we fart in your general direction)

Remove this Banner Ad

If a spot opened up in the firsts, based on this game:

Stephens.

Simply a class above.

Wouldnt have an issue with Sheather coming in at some point either, think he has shown enough improvement to suggest he could play a role.

Don't know where Ling's kicking has gone. Was a great kick until last year and now just seems to kick floaters and not even hit that many targets. Also doesnt feel like he is someone fighting for his spot on the list

My bests: Clarke, Stephens, Amartey, Sheather, Gray

Clarke BOG. Dominated all over the ground to end with >40 touches and 3 goals.

Stephens is a cut above VFL level but his kicking does let him down a little. His running and ability to win the ball are just way too good though.

Amartey looked really good up forward, great hands and missed a few shots which would've taken him to a bag.

Sheather looked really lively - great tackling, good athletic movement across HF and got quite a bit of the ball.

Gray's quick hands and contested ball work complemented Clarke and Stephens in the middle nicely.

Wouldnt have an issue with Sheather coming in at some point either, think he has shown enough improvement to suggest he could play a role.

Don't know where Ling's kicking has gone. Was a great kick until last year and now just seems to kick floaters and not even hit that many targets. Also doesnt feel like he is someone fighting for his spot on the list
I agree entirely re: Ling. Just looks panicked & the kicking wasn’t sharp. For a first round pick, he’s running out of time to avoid the dreaded “bust” tag.

Stephens 42 possessions, outstanding game & if he gets overlooked again for Bell or another mid, there’s something seriously amiss.

Gould looks solid. Liked his game. Physical presence was impressive.

Clarke was Clarke. Runs and runs. Really good game.

Naismith pretty good for a first run.

McD quiet.

Armatey did some good things, but no way he displaces McL.

CoR was solid, so was Sinkers.

But again, Stephens simply has to be picked if a spot is available. If not, I’ll really start to believe there’s something seriously amiss.

I agree entirely re: Ling. Just looks panicked & the kicking wasn’t sharp. For a first round pick, he’s running out of time to avoid the dreaded “bust” tag.

Stephens 42 possessions, outstanding game & if he gets overlooked again for Bell or another mid, there’s something seriously amiss.

Gould looks solid. Liked his game. Physical presence was impressive.

Clarke was Clarke. Runs and runs. Really good game.

Naismith pretty good for a first run.

McD quiet.

Armatey did some good things, but no way he displaces McL.

CoR was solid, so was Sinkers.

But again, Stephens simply has to be picked if a spot is available. If not, I’ll really start to believe there’s something seriously amiss.

How much of the crowd stayed to watch the VFL game.Would be good especially the non AFL players playing in front of a big crowd.

Match Report

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephens is quality. Not sure it's a matter of if he will be good, but just how good he will be. I imagine that's up to him and his willingness to learn and develop. (But he also might need a decent chance at senior level!)

Sheather honestly reminds me so much of Warner, and Amartey continues to frustrate by being SO good at times, but so NOT good at other times. I feel like especially with McLean emerging in the seniors, if he wants an opportunity in the 22, he's gotta even out that disparity.

Great start in the comeback for Naismith!

Had to duck off after the seniors so a bit late on getting to the end of this game.

Good win by the boys.

Pretty much agree with others. Clarke BOG, Stephens was very good. Both those boys to run and run and run.

Probably the best key forward game Amartey has played. Was strong is almost all contests and took some very strong contested marks. His kicking let him down a little but I reckon his most complete game to date.

Sheather is just so HARD! Has all the attributes of an AFL footballer.

Gray worked really hard. COR strong across the game.

Surprised Taylor had so much of the ball. As I was watching live I didn’t follow the stats and I didn’t think he was that involved.

One player that wasn’t mentioned was Hebron who I thought was excellent in defence, don’t think he’d look that out of place on an AFL list.

Naismith had a solid return.

McDonald had moments. What struck me is how big he is going to be. He is already a decent sized unit and is going to be a monster on he stacks on muscle.

Stephens is quality. Not sure it's a matter of if he will be good, but just how good he will be. I imagine that's up to him and his willingness to learn and develop. (But he also might need a decent chance at senior level!)

Sheather honestly reminds me so much of Warner, and Amartey continues to frustrate by being SO good at times, but so NOT good at other times. I feel like especially with McLean emerging in the seniors, if he wants an opportunity in the 22, he's gotta even out that disparity.

Great start in the comeback for Naismith!
Stephens is definitely a more inside player despite his frame. Has never really had a "statement" game because he is comfortable on the inside but has had to play alot more outside because he would get battered playing there in the seniors.

I really hope we can re-sign him and get to see what he can do with more strength and resilience playing on the inside.

Swans website match report on the win Swans 12.14 (86) Magpies 8.5.(53)

Think it's great that a few of the guys are putting pressure on the incumbents in seniors by playing great footy. Clarke might not be the first guy picked but he's still young and he's handy.
I had the impression with Sheather that his tank needed a fair bit of development before he could be considered for seniors but obviously they thought he was worth the investment.
Very interested in how Gould went as a KPD given how little we're hearing about him. A lot of potential at draft time.
Sounds like the VFL team is starting to gel pretty well.

Stephens is definitely a more inside player despite his frame. Has never really had a "statement" game because he is comfortable on the inside but has had to play alot more outside because he would get battered playing there in the seniors.

I really hope we can re-sign him and get to see what he can do with more strength and resilience playing on the inside.
Stephens reminds me so much of Gaff it’s uncanny.

Even his set-up around stoppages is just Gaff to a tee.

Swans, sign him.

Now.

Stephens will have other clubs interested in him no doubt, I hope we can re-sign him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back