News Swans Talk in the Media 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if one club was offering more money or better compensation than the others?
Well then it doesn't really become about family then does it? That would be more money driven I would say. And if it was me, I'd try and tap that bigger deal for sure. But then, I don't have any personal reasons to want to head back to Victoria.

Completely off Papley, if he was out of contract and wanted to move then no drama, he has 3 years running, you signed the contract serve your time, all he wanted in reality was more pay from Carlton because he’d signed for much less over 4 years for Sydney.
he’s full of crap.

And To Flick Nic Newman with his towel on the way to the showers.

People need to relax about Papley. All he did by requesting a trade was be honest with the club. Sure he signed a contract, but maybe he was in a different headspace then and has decided being back in Melbourne is important. Unfortunately for him a deal couldn't be done, but people need to stop pretending the right decision was for him to bottle up his feelings and just cop it for the next 4 years. I'm sure he'll be a pro and give his all this year, hopefully for both the club and Paps he has a huge season and he either decides to stay or there's a bidding war for his services in the offseason.

People need to relax about Papley. All he did by requesting a trade was be honest with the club. Sure he signed a contract, but maybe he was in a different headspace then and has decided being back in Melbourne is important. Unfortunately for him a deal couldn't be done, but people need to stop pretending the right decision was for him to bottle up his feelings and just cop it for the next 4 years. I'm sure he'll be a pro and give his all this year, hopefully for both the club and Paps he has a huge season and he either decides to stay or there's a bidding war for his services in the offseason.
Don’t sign a 4 year contract then. Pretty simple.

Well then it doesn't really become about family then does it? That would be more money driven I would say. And if it was me, I'd try and tap that bigger deal for sure. But then, I don't have any personal reasons to want to head back to Victoria.

There is no reason it can't be both.

If I had to move to NSW for family issues and one company was offering 160 and the other was offering 100 I know where I would be heading.

Can you predict what misfortune that may occur to your family, loved one, ....?
Papley signed a contract.
Yes he asked for a transfer.
The club could not meet his request.
Tom is back at the club.
The End.
PS. I have no knowledge of Papley's personal private circumstances.

So your life has never changed quite a bit in a year? It isn't possible that Papley's life changed quite a bit from when he signed the contract to when he requested a trade?
It’s possible but it’s also distinctly possible he wanted more money. This is professional sport and you get paid hundreds of thousands to do it.
he knew what he was doing when he signed 4 years. I’m sorry a contracts a contract. This league is so amateurish with letting people break contracts because they are “homesick” it’s pathetic tbh.

It’s possible but it’s also distinctly possible he wanted more money. This is professional sport and you get paid hundreds of thousands to do it.
he knew what he was doing when he signed 4 years. I’m sorry a contracts a contract. This league is so amateurish with letting people break contracts because they are “homesick” it’s pathetic tbh.
I find it distasteful to pile on him without having any idea at all as to the "personal, private issues" which have been mentioned in passing as reasoning. Who knows what it could have been and/or how we each would have handled the same situation ourselves.

I believe he has handled it professionally and as well as you could have. I also believe it was the club, not Tom, who pushed for Carlton as they wanted that pick... And so wanted that public to put pressure on the Blues to get the deal over the line. But I don't have proof of that, however it is something that makes sense to me.

Unless you were there and know him and know it was him just trying to get home because he was selfish in chasing money or just simply trying to walk out of a contract (at a club he clearly loves, is respected at, in the leadership group, has played hard for and has supported his whole life)... I find it distinctly against his public profile and the image provided from both his interactions, his demeanour, his words and his actions in professionally approaching the situation, to suggest he is being "selfish" or "walking out" on the club. I do not match that image with the image I have for Tom thus far and I find it insulting to jump straight to the conculsion, without facts or basis to warrent such, that he is some kind of mercenary or spoilt millennial or something.

That is 100% false. When has the league allowed a player to break a contract?

The whole reason Tom Papley is still playing for Sydney is because the league does not allow players to break contracts and go sign a new one elsewhere. Not quite sure what you're trying to say but it doesn't really make sense / hold up.

Not too fussed on the whys and hows of what went on and right now I’m more concerned about my supply of drinking water in 2021 than who’s wearing number 11 for the Swans, but I am curious to see how Tom goes next season.
Another ripping year and he can set himself up for a good life with his love and back in Vic... if he lets the circumstances impact his performance it could all turn to s**t.
I’m expecting a big one from him and for us to have little problem covering his departure... and a quality trade/pick to go with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is 100% false. When has the league allowed a player to break a contract?

The whole reason Tom Papley is still playing for Sydney is because the league does not allow players to break contracts and go sign a new one elsewhere. Not quite sure what you're trying to say but it doesn't really make sense / hold up.

What he is saying is Bullshit excuses from players wanting out help break contracts. The AFL don't allow contracts to be broken. They don't need to.

And if one club was offering more money or better compensation than the others?
I'd like to know which club was the one prepared to give us more. All we know from "chatter" is that the Blues would give us 9 but wanted 25 back in return.
Let's see what gets thrown at us next off season when he asks to go home (to Carlton) again. We've got him & Carlton by the balls with the contract until 2023 & we may have called their bluff IMO.

I’ll withhold judgement about Papley until he’s played a few games in 2020.
He is a pro and a competitive beast.

He will give his all.

Absolutely no reason not to.

And white line fever will kick in anyway.

yep legend
Show with Nerali and Bob.
Here you go, they haven’t split the show interviews like they usually do And when I listened , I sort of spot checked through it, I couldn’t find it:(

Show with Nerali and Bob.
Here you go, they haven’t split the show interviews like they usually do And when I listened , I sort of spot checked through it, I couldn’t find it:(

Bob is no good , but Nerali is a star , hope they keep her on SEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back