Preview Sydney Vs Booingwood - 24th of May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take Fox over Cunningham any day. He is a better mark, stronger in the packs and actually runs in straight lines at the ball. Cunningham is a fringe dweller off the pack.

Wow cannot agree at all. Fox has the potential to be a better player with his strength and marking as you say, but he can't get it all together and I just don't think he's going to. Cunningham has become a very good outside player, his pressure is seriously under-rated, and he's one of the only Swans who can attempt a risky kick and pull it off. Plus he's super consistent now.

Contested marks? Marks inside 50? What stat in particular has Menzel ahead of Reid for you.

Apart from, of course, the shiny new toy bit.

You've got me mistaken for someone else as I have always been one of the people who is not that excited by Menzel, as I don't rate him as highly as some. That doesn't mean I don't rate him at all.

There is no stat. I don't care about stats. I think one can play, and the other cannot. One is very good, smart and strong one-on-one, the other gets rag-dolled and out-manoeuvred. One is a very reliable shot for goal, the other is notoriously unpredictable.

You've got me mistaken for someone else as I have always been one of the people who is not that excited by Menzel, as I don't rate him as highly as some. That doesn't mean I don't rate him at all.

There is no stat. I don't care about stats. I think one can play, and the other cannot. One is very good, smart and strong one-on-one, the other gets rag-dolled and out-manoeuvred. One is a very reliable shot for goal, the other is notoriously unpredictable.

On every single matter on which you criticise Reid, Menzel is worse. Except, perhaps for accuracy.

On the matters that don't seem to count for you, team play, Reid is streets ahead.

Menzel is excellent on the lead. I'll give him that. I'm not sure that will be a great help in our side.

On every single matter on which you criticise Reid, Menzel is worse. Except, perhaps for accuracy.

On the matters that don't seem to count for you, team play, Reid is streets ahead.

Menzel is excellent on the lead. I'll give him that. I'm not sure that will be a great help in our side.

OK I lie, how's this for a stat:

Menzel - 73 games, 136 goals
Reid - 121 games, 126 goals

Adios

Potential match-ups:

Melican - Reid
Aliir - Mihocek
Rampe - Stephenson
Mills - Hoskin-Elliott
Thurlow - Thomas
Lloyd - Brown

Sinclair - Grundy
Kennedy - Pendlebury
Hewett - Treloar
Clarke - Sidebottom
Florent - Phillips
Parker - Beams

Reid - Roughead
Franklin - Howe
McCartin - Madgen
Blakey - Crisp
Papley - Maynard
Hayward - Aish

Heeney and Dawson are gonna be all over the place.

Last edited:
Potential match-ups:

Melican - Reid
Aliir - Mihocek
Rampe - Stephenson
Mills - Hoskin-Elliott
Thurlow - Thomas
Lloyd - Brown

Sinclair - Grundy
Kennedy - Pendlebury
Hewett - Treloar
Clarke - Sidebottom
Florent - Phillips
Parker - Beams

Reid - Roughead
Franklin - Howe
McCartin - Madgen
Blakey - Crisp
Papley - Maynard
Hayward - Aish

We quite possibly have them matched in their forward line.

We quite possibly have them matched in their forward line.

Collingwood have a big list of injuries and have only been playing OK for the most part. They've pulled away with some big quarters here and there but they've been matched a lot lately. Plus we're on a good wave of confidence after two wins and we've got Franklin and Kennedy back in.

Not sure I have the guts to do it, but I'm very close to tipping us.

Agreed but doesn't equal retirement. To me that means adapting.
Agreed. I see Franklin doing what Goodes did in his last few seasons. Not getting up the ground as much but still effective. Even at 70% he's still superior to almost every other forward in the game. I think he's a chance to play out the entire contract.

Agreed. I see Franklin doing what Goodes did in his last few seasons. Not getting up the ground as much but still effective. Even at 70% he's still superior to almost every other forward in the game. I think he's a chance to play out the entire contract.

worse case if he gives you 15-16 games a year and manage him to get there its a win

If you're going to go with wild conspiracy theories I am surprised you didn't go with the obvious...
Horse didn't change the game plan. He was too busy slaughtering superstars.

Always putting the fat into the fatuous. No conspiracy here unless you are are a hot to Trotskyist. Might actually explain your revisionism.

As per usual you struggle with and cannot sensibly debate positions that differ with your own peculiar version. Apparently this was developed at the World Congress of the 277th International - (held in a telephone booth somewhere)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or they've been putting some conditioning on him in the last month. With a eye on this period into the bye and beyond.

So how are the doing this? Are they putting miles into his legs, load through his glutes. The poor bugger has - "surprise surprise surprise - N37 and any other Gomer" - been copping soft tissue injury because of sh**** injury management.

Wow cannot agree at all. Fox has the potential to be a better player with his strength and marking as you say, but he can't get it all together and I just don't think he's going to. Cunningham has become a very good outside player, his pressure is seriously under-rated, and he's one of the only Swans who can attempt a risky kick and pull it off. Plus he's super consistent now.

Fox and Cunningham are hardly "either/or". Neither are world beaters but both are bloody good players we should be happy to have.

Potential match-ups:

Melican - Reid
Aliir - Mihocek
Rampe - Stephenson
Mills - Hoskin-Elliott
Thurlow - Thomas
Lloyd - Brown

Sinclair - Grundy
Kennedy - Pendlebury
Hewett - Treloar
Clarke - Sidebottom
Florent - Phillips
Parker - Beams

Reid - Roughead
Franklin - Howe
McCartin - Madgen
Blakey - Crisp
Papley - Maynard
Hayward - Aish

Terrific post, especially re Heeney and Smokey Dawson.

Fox and Cunningham are hardly "either/or". Neither are world beaters but both are bloody good players we should be happy to have.

Not convinced on Fox. See him as handy depth, nothing more. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong just as Cunningham did.

Nope, but I'm sure his minutes in defence don't add up to the total of minutes Menzel hasn't played compared to Reid. Because, y'know, he's played 48 games less than Reid..

Reid has outstanding team stats apparently.... whatever they are

Potential match-ups:

Melican - Reid
Aliir - Mihocek
Rampe - Stephenson
Mills - Hoskin-Elliott
Thurlow - Thomas
Lloyd - Brown

Sinclair - Grundy
Kennedy - Pendlebury
Hewett - Treloar
Clarke - Sidebottom
Florent - Phillips
Parker - Beams

Reid - Roughead
Franklin - Howe
McCartin - Madgen
Blakey - Crisp
Papley - Maynard
Hayward - Aish

Buckley - Longmire

a crucial matchup

Number of dropped marks, missed tackles and times he was easily shoved out of the contest?

Number of invisible opponents he beats so that Buddy, McCartin and Blakey can have free runs at the ball ?

Number of flags we missed out on because we didn't have Reid playing ?

Just spit-balling

lol .... possibly true .... but unfair on C88 .. he is a young fella I know but even young folk can suffer "bloods" pressure problems.

FWIW I think Sam has not lived up to the billing I had for him, but I think he is by no means a non contributor or lost cause. I have learnt to accept he is a good ordinary player.

lol .... possibly true .... but unfair on C88 .. he is a young fella I know but even young folk can suffer "bloods" pressure problems.

FWIW I think Sam has not lived up to the billing I had for him, but I think he is by no means a non contributor or lost cause. I have learnt to accept he is a good ordinary player.

I'll just keep it short and simple so as to not derail this thread but I find the club's handling of Reid to be disgusting and a total double standard and massive indictment on Horse's coaching legacy. So I have nothing against Reid. He's one of a dozen "good, ordinary players" who occupy every list in the comp. What I have beef with is the club's absolute BS with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back