T20 World Cup Day 20 4/11. Australia v Afghanistan 1830hrs @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are the Aussie supporters though at games? the cheering, the support?

I know tickets weren't cheap, but where is the passion?

Its been a total embarrassment this WC for the T20 - Aussies just don't seem to care and have a totally arrogant apathetic attitude to our national teams.

It is what it is.
No FTA coverage means no FTA advertising, same happened with ODI’s, I honestly didn’t even know the WC was on to a few days prior, greed.

Australian cricket fans have been the biggest disappointment this tournament. Couldn't sell out the world cup opener and now out supported by Afghanistan fans. Unless it's in the perfect holiday slot, they don't rock up.
As I said before, no FTA coverage is the killer, if it ain’t on FTA no one cares, weird but true.

Remember the old ‘Cmon Aussie cmon’ adds?

It’s a matter of different sets of supporters having different preferences. When we play tests at home against Asian sides, the crowds (even in Melbourne and Sydney) are heavily dominated by Aussie fans. When we play ODIs/T20s at home against those same sides, the away fans heavily outnumber Aussie fans.

We take for granted sometimes just how strong the test cricket tradition is in Australia. Test cricket is on its knees in almost every other country, save for India (due to sheer population size) and England (where it is mostly followed by the older generation). The average bloke in the street here cares a lot more about winning a Test series than a t20 series, and that’s just not the case in most countries.

Also, playing it in Australia in the southern Australian wet season was a brilliant idea, slow variable bounce drop in wkts, zero FTA exposure, what could go wrong? And whose idea was it to drop Stark? * me.

I always knew cricket was a dying sport, I never dreamed it would come this quick though, the ACB have destroyed the game bowing down to the ICB, gone are the 90k ODI’s, no one cares about that format anymore, is it even on FTA now days? No one cares about T20 down here, even test cricket isn’t what it used to be in Australia with these pathetic drop in pitches, no one cares anymore, not like they used too anyway.

For sure the crowd figures have been a surprise. I think that Aussies turn up in droves when we have a connection with the team. But who do we really admire in our current team? Not just as players but as people? Frankly, the outspoken alleged entitlement of certain members of the test team has put a lot of supporters off. Who wants to pay $100 to sit in the cold and cheer on a team we think have a number of players we don't respect when we can relax at home and watch the game in the comfort of our lounge rooms?

(Having said that, I did go and send $140 a ticket to see a second string Aussie team take on England in a lead up match a few weeks ago.)
$90 for a family of four.

Tickets were cheap.

Also, playing it in Australia in the southern Australian wet season was a brilliant idea, slow variable bounce drop in wkts, zero FTA exposure, what could go wrong? And whose idea was it to drop Stark? * me.

I always knew cricket was a dying sport, I never dreamed it would come this quick though, the ACB have destroyed the game bowing down to the ICB, gone are the 90k ODI’s, no one cares about that format anymore, is it even on FTA now days? No one cares about T20 down here, even test cricket isn’t what it used to be in Australia with these pathetic drop in pitches, no one cares anymore, not like they used too anyway.
Administrators have been too keen to chase the T20 dollar with little thought for the impact on other forms of the game sadly.

This year's BBL runs from 13/12 to 4/2 and comprises over 60 matches. It's overkill.

They have only played four times since then.
  1. ENG (180/6) beat SL (91) by 89 runs, Jun 26, 2021.
  2. ENG (108/5) beat SL (111/7) by 5 wickets via D/L method, Jun 24, 2021.
  3. ENG (130/2) beat SL (129/7) by 8 wickets, Jun 23, 2021.
  4. ENG (144/2) beat SL (140) by 8 wickets, Jul 5, 2016.
  5. SL (183/7) beat ENG (174/7) by 9 runs, May 20, 2014.

This isn't over, folks.
England will absolutely crush Sri Lanka, but yes I’m not putting the cue in the rack just yet.

Administrators have been too keen to chase the T20 dollar with little thought for the impact on other forms of the game sadly.

This year's BBL runs from 13/12 to 4/2 and comprises over 60 matches. It's overkill.
Their greed has bitten them in the arse given the BBL is now less popular than ever. Sure they’re getting the TV $$$ now but the fans aren’t turning up, or tuning in, like they used to years ago which is gonna * em in the long run.

Let me guess, this wouldn't have happened under Langer

Good lord you people need to get a life

Everyone who liked your post are Western Australians

You Western Australians are psychos, Langer is not some miracle savior
They speak of the bad tempered gnome as if he was God's gift to cricket coaching 🙄

England will absolutely crush Sri Lanka, but yes I’m not putting the cue in the rack just yet.
With Sri Lanka having now automatically qualified for the next T20 WC, and with no chance of making it to the semi finals, they understandably might have their mind focussed on heading home right now so I tend to agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Sri Lanka having now automatically qualified for the next T20 WC, and with no chance of making it to the semi finals, they understandably might have their mind focussed on heading home right now so I tend to agree.
The motivation will be higher for England for sure. Dont think Sri Lanka will just be putting in the towel just yet either.

Sometimes teams play better when there are no expectations or less pressure to do so. Sri Lanka weren't one of the most fancied sides at this years Asia Cup but ended up winning that. And Sri Lanka beat Australia in a T20 match dead rubber earlier this season (lost the series 1-4 overall)

Being played at the SCG is also a bit of an advantage compared to Perth/Melbourne.

We just have to accept we're not very good at T20 currently.

And we must acknowledge that we were very fortunate in last year's WC. We kept winning the toss, and got to play Pakistan and the Kiwis in the finals who have a habit of choking in big games (and able to avoid England).

The squad needs a massive turnover and I feel we didn't as we wanted to reward last year's squad. Finch, Wade and Warner need to go, and we can't play Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood in the same squad. We need more variety.

It's a shame that this had to happen at home but it doesn't look like anyone really cared about the tournament anyway. One thing that concerned me however is our poor fielding. I hope the change in administration hasn't created a player-led friendly environment where we're not upholding high standards consistently. I don't want Langer back, but I just hope we have strong leadership. I'm probably just paranoid.

Australian cricket fans have been the biggest disappointment this tournament. Couldn't sell out the world cup opener and now out supported by Afghanistan fans. Unless it's in the perfect holiday slot, they don't rock up.
Cricket is a 2 month of the year sport for the average Australian fan (December, January) with the exception of an ashes tour once every four years.

Crowds are bad because advertising of the tournament here was bad. CA were lazy in their approach, needed to be much more aggressive focusing Aussies on cricket after the end of the AFL/NRL seasons. Barely a whisper about the world cup in the week before it began.

CA, particularly on social media, also has diluted world cup coverage with WBBL, Shield coverage. During a world cup on home soil surely you'd heavily prioritise world cup stuff (including some of the excellent non-Australia matches) over a local franchise tournament.

Oh please. I’m the last person to just randomly join in the “Aussies are s**t” BigFooty pile-ons, and have been among the first to commend Afghanistan all night.

But yes, it was an insipid Australian performance. Their body language - particularly in the field - was dreadful before the Maxwell run out. They barely looked up for the fight at all.

It is possible to acknowledge a great Afghanistan performance whilst still noting that the Australians were below par. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Fair. I had no issues with our batting, but I do agree there was some poor body language during the middle part of the Afghan batting. Maxy and Warner seem to be the only two playing with passion while we are fielding this tournament. Maxy cops a lot of s**t, but he’s had a decent enough tournament (especially with the ball and in the field and then with the bat last night) and clearly bleeds for his country.

Crowds are bad because advertising of the tournament here was bad. CA were lazy in their approach, needed to be much more aggressive focusing Aussies on cricket after the end of the AFL/NRL seasons. Barely a whisper about the world cup in the week before it began.

CA, particularly on social media, also has diluted world cup coverage with WBBL, Shield coverage. During a world cup on home soil surely you'd heavily prioritise world cup stuff (including some of the excellent non-Australia matches) over a local franchise tournament.
I only just realized that we play a ODI series against England after this WC, with one being at AO. There’s been zero advertising for the series.

Yeah Aussie crowds have been really disappointing compared to other countries, feels like it's a combo of a few things. Putting the majority of white ball games behind a paywall means a lot of Australians don't watch a lot of our T20is, so it's a bit hard to expect people to get excited for a World Cup in the format you rarely watch. Also the complete lack of advertising meant there was no buzz at all pre-tournament. Cricket is definitely in a weird spot in this country, feels like the sport really doesn't start here until Day 1 of the first test match of the summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back