Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can see the argument of why Myers could go around 1 more year.

Bar Gleeson and Zaka, possibly Guelfi, Snelling & Brown, the odd cameos from Laverde and Stewart, that depth is getting increasingly thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gleeson isn't depth.

We need to accept that our team is imbalanced around the ball and on the wing.

No point having lots of small players if you have no big players to get them the ball.

Conversely there is no point having lots of small players if we cannot consistently out run teams with bigger players than us.

There is not a single player on our list with the running power of a Lewis Jetta or Brad Hill.

Out: Lavender-Rookie,Dea-Rookie,Long-Senior,Myers-Senior,Zac Clarke-Rookie,Mark Baguley-Senior,Jayden Laverde-Senior,Brown-Senior.

Demote brown and smack to rookie list

If anyone wants hooker I’d take a third for him.
I have loved what Hooker has stood for over his career with EFC. But unfortunately it may be in the interests of both parties to look for something else. Same can be said for any one of Hurley, Smack, TBC, Brown, Langford, Lavarde, Zaka and Ambrose. Tough decisions may be needed, as it’s hard to see the club going to the next level with these guys and the stages of their careers. Hopefully we can build a future around Francis, McGarth, Parish, Redman, Joe(if he can get fit) Walla etc.

Delist/Retire
McNiece
Long
Myers
Baguley
ZClark
Dea

Trade
Langford

That's 7, which is a decent turn over for one year.

Need to look after Hooker, Hurley and TBell better throughout the year.
They should be rested/managed at every opportunity, not playing on injured or with 'niggles'.
We missed an opportunity this year for more senior exposure for Zerk-Thatcher, Hartley and Draper before injury, and ended up with Hooker, Hurley and TBell cooked by the back half of the season. This is poor management. We are Not developing younger players and are overworking our seasoned veterans.
TBell doesn't need to play at all until Round 12. How could we keep the likes of Myers, Baguley and Dea on the list and not have an adaquate back up for Tbell?
ZClark - not up to it and Draper - too young. This is poor management.

Our Key position players are a worry.

Brown and smack should be moved to the rookie list. Free up some cash. Re do Hooker and Zakkas Deals to.

Rookie list our best key forward and our best running forward.

Bold strategy.
He's had a good year but Smack is still behind Daniher and Hooker as key forwards. He didn't even kick 20 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he isn't the best?

He was in 2019, if Daniher has ongoing OP issues and Hooker remains as immobile as he was by the end of the season, we're hardly spoilt for choice for a KPF who can take a contested mark.

Daniher, Stewart, McKernan, Brown is about the sum our KPF players, with Hooker able to potentially play Forward, which we haven't really seen for a few seasons now.

Daniher and Stewart both coming off long-term injury issues.

So the club thinks we have a top 4 list apparently and the recruitment strategy clearly shows they think we are in our window.

Having started the season like crap - again - and taking another Elimination bath where to from here?

Do they write this off as just another bad one and stick by their guns and recruit more senior players? re-set with a mini rebuild? or start again?

I have loved what Hooker has stood for over his career with EFC. But unfortunately it may be in the interests of both parties to look for something else. Same can be said for any one of Hurley, Smack, TBC, Brown, Langford, Lavarde, Zaka and Ambrose. Tough decisions may be needed, as it’s hard to see the club going to the next level with these guys and the stages of their careers. Hopefully we can build a future around Francis, McGarth, Parish, Redman, Joe(if he can get fit) Walla etc.
Hooker was going very well until he injured his groin late in the year.

He was in 2019, if Daniher has ongoing OP issues and Hooker remains as immobile as he was by the end of the season, we're hardly spoilt for choice for a KPF who can take a contested mark.

Daniher, Stewart, McKernan, Brown is about the sum our KPF players, with Hooker able to potentially play Forward, which we haven't really seen for a few seasons now.

Better wording, I can agree with that.

The worrying thing is all these players people want to trade are worth SFA. The players worth anything we aren’t willing to trade away.

We literally are stuck in no mans land right now. We have an abundance of under utilised kids (Ridley, Draper, BZT) and a bunch of list cloggers who have offered up 90% of SFA (Baguley, Long, Myers, Dea).

Genuinely bamboozled why we continually offer up deals for players we know aren’t good enough and going deep in the rookie draft well and take on speculative kids.

We have no identity, we are a one trick pony launching from the back half and to top it off our injury list is one of the worst to crucial players in the AFL.

We literally have no one from last nights team that most people would be willing to trade out if it meant we re enter the draft early.
Imagine trading Parish for a top 10 - 15 pick. Would people do it?
What about trading Merrett for two firsts? Fantasia isn’t getting us a first rounder. His recent body of work just isn’t there.
These two are probably the only ones worth looking at that are of value.

So the club thinks we have a top 4 list apparently and the recruitment strategy clearly shows they think we are in our window.

Having started the season like crap - again - and taking another Elimination bath where to from here?

Do they write this off as just another bad one and stick by their guns and recruit more senior players? re-set with a mini rebuild? or start again?
I think the club thought at the end of 2017 we where short of top 4 so we went hard at trade targets. Right now given how many times the coach has said we are short of top 4 and need to improve I think the club probably thinks we are still middle of the road but have been unlucky with injury to key players. Lets face it after 2017 you would not have been thinking Daniher and Fantaisia would combine for under 30 goals a season or that Stewart would go backwards and then miss a whole season and this year you would not have been thinking Walla would be so up and down or Dev Smith would be a wipe out. Sides have injuries but you need depth to cover them and when you get injuries to players in the same position it cuts deep. We covered injuries to key defenders because we had the depth there.

NO

NOT IN 2019 BECAUSE HE PLAYED IN THE BACKLINE

I’M SORRY I DIDN’T WRITE 10 DISCLAIMERS IN MY POST
You didn't need to. You said he was our best key forward when he isn't. You needed to simply add two words at the end of a sentence, whether that was "in 2019" or "this year/season" and there would be zero issues.

It’s sorry to see us need to draft a key forward when 3 of our own are always injured or not consistent enough AFL players.
Feel we need to make a bold decision on Brown &/or Stewart this off season.

The worrying thing is all these players people want to trade are worth SFA. The players worth anything we aren’t willing to trade away.

We literally are stuck in no mans land right now. We have an abundance of under utilised kids (Ridley, Draper, BZT) and a bunch of list cloggers who have offered up 90% of SFA (Baguley, Long, Myers, Dea).

Genuinely bamboozled why we continually offer up deals for players we know aren’t good enough and going deep in the rookie draft well and take on speculative kids.

We have no identity, we are a one trick pony launching from the back half and to top it off our injury list is one of the worst to crucial players in the AFL.

We literally have no one from last nights team that most people would be willing to trade out if it meant we re enter the draft early.
What about trading Merrett for two firsts? Fantasia isn’t getting us a first rounder. His recent body of work just isn’t there.

I would. I love Darce but we have Parish, Smith, Shiel, Merrett as ~180 cm inside mids, which is simply far too many, and he doesn't have a distinguishing feature to set him apart from those guys, as good as he is. Watch people attack us in 3, 2, 1...

I think the club thought at the end of 2017 we where short of top 4 so we went hard at trade targets. Right now given how many times the coach has said we are short of top 4 and need to improve I think the club probably thinks we are still middle of the road but have been unlucky with injury to key players. Lets face it after 2017 you would not have been thinking Daniher and Fantaisia would combine for under 30 goals a season or that Stewart would go backwards and then miss a whole season and this year you would not have been thinking Walla would be so up and down or Dev Smith would be a wipe out. Sides have injuries but you need depth to cover them and when you get injuries to players in the same position it cuts deep. We covered injuries to key defenders because we had the depth there.

The guys we went hard at weren’t exactly in positions we were in desperate need for though. Yes, they improved the team but not sure they were worth the investment we paid. I like them don’t get me wrong but the body of work the team had pre trades is no different to the one with these trades in it.

The bold is false. Parish would attract a first round pick, maybe not top 6 but certainly 7 to 18. Fantaisia would get us a first round outside the top 12. Merrett would certainly attract a first round and a second round pick. Daniher would attract a first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back