Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did manage to salvage something but I reckon they've only come out evens, if that. They've given up Stringer, 28 and what will probably end up a decent 2nd round pick next year for 16 and Schache.

eh

Will be waiting to see how Schache goes. I know he has some questions over how competitive / aggressive / soft he is and how his TAC form translates to AFL level but he was a seriously good TAC player. So far he reminds me of the Jack Watts situation. Very very good player ability and skill wise but rather soft in his attack on the ball and his preparation.
Josh comes from a family that has had its share of issues over the years and could pretty much live back at home in Seymour and drive to the club every day now. I would be expecting he would spend most of next year in the VFL but I think he can turn it around given the of field stuff is sorted.

Nope. 3 picks.

trades are counted as list changes, free agency is not

Hawthorn trade/delist;
Jack Fitzpatrick (delisted)
Angus Litherland (delisted)
Matt Spangher (delisted)
Zac Webster (delisted)
Brad Hill (trade)
Sam Mitchell (trade)
Jordan Lewis (trade)

Hawthorn in;
Tyrone Vickery (free agency)
Ricky Henderson (delisted free agent)
Jagaer O Meara (traded)
Tom Mitchell (traded)
Kade Stewart (rookie upgrade)
Harry Morrison (draft pick 74)
Mitchell Lewis (drafted pick 76)

Rookie upgrades do.

So they used 74, 76 and upgraded Kade Stewart

The one anomaly is that rookie upgrades do count.

Would be more than happy to use pick 48, 67 for list regeneration purposes only. Not sure what we will find that late, but you need to keep looking for gems.

With the trade period now done and the list changes almost complete, may as well re look at where the make up of our list currently stands.

LIST CHANGES;

OUTS;

Yestin Eades (delisted)
Heath Hocking (delisted)
James Kelly (retired)
Brent Stanton (retired)
Jobe Watson (retired)

Ins;
Adam Saad (trade)
Jake Stringer (trade)
Devon Smith (trade)

BEST 22;

Backline;

FB. Mark Baguley - Michael Hartley - Martin Gleeson
HB. Adam Saad - Michael Hurley - Conor McKenna

Depth - Patrick Ambrose, Mitch Brown (fwd), Matthew Dea, Ben McNeice (rookie)
Developing - Aaron Francis, Jordan Ridley, Alex Morgan

Midfield;

R. Tom Bellchambers - Zac Merrett - Dyson Heppell
C. David Zaharakis - Darcy Parish - Andrew McGrath
Int. Brendon Goddard - James Stewart (fwd) - David Myers - Jayden Laverde (fwd)

Depth - Craig Bird, Trav Colyer, Ben Howlett, Kyle Langford, Matthew Lleunberger (ruck), Shaun McKernan (rookie/ruck)
Developing - Kobe Mutch, Dylan Clarke, Sam Draper (rookie/ruck), Luke Lavender (rookie/ruck)

Forwardline;

HF. Jake Stringer - Joe Daniher - Devon Smith
F. Orazio Fantasia - Cale Hooker - Anthony McDonald ~ Tipungwuti

Depth - Josh Begley, Josh Green, Jackson Merrett
Developing - Mason Redman

NOTES:
* Pretty clear we are going to need a KPF in the not too distant future. Hooker is servicable but is 29 but one calf injury away from being a regular in the rehab group.
* Our developing forward group is actually quite light on. We have a lot of guys who are ok in attack (as depth) but none who are capable best 22 players in multiple positions.
* Our ruck stocks look quite strong now with the recruitment of Lavender to the already listed Draper who could see some game time in 2018.
* That next gen of inside midfield is still a while off and one area we should be addressing ASAP.
* Our defensive group as a whole looks quite decent.

DRAFT;
Not going to bother with names, would have no idea who would last to 48/67 but more the types we should aim for should be;
(1) Inside midfielder - we clearly are lacking that youngster with a bit of polish. Clarke could be it but that kicking is still a work in progress.
(2) KPF - as has been mentioned, after Hooker, we really don't have anyone to look towards. Am hoping Tom DeKoning could last till 48 but who knows.

With a plethora of guys still out of contract (Bird, Green, Howlett, J.Merrett, Morgan), we could decide to go two ways. More rookie listed guys, or downgrade them to said rookie list (hoping Morgan and Jackson are) whilst we are still in limbo about moving on Howlett &/orBird).

They did manage to salvage something but I reckon they've only come out evens, if that. They've given up Stringer, 28 and what will probably end up a decent 2nd round pick next year for 16 and Schache.

eh
I reckon they traded an AA, premiership forward with personal problems for a highly rated, unproven AFL standard player with personal problems. They saved face but they know they totally hammed the Stringer trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm, we must delist 2 more in order to select our minimum of 3 ND picks/rookie upgrades.

Given where our picks sit, 48, 67, 85, 103 or thereabouts, I can't see us using more than the minimum 3.

Yet, I can't see how any of Morgan, Merrett or Howlett remain on our senior list next year? Maybe Howlett or Morgan get lucky?

I'd probably go this way: delist Howlett & Merrett, delist and re-rookie Morgan. Delist Smack (+ Eades obv) from the rookie list?
Then we take 48/67 to the ND, upgrade Long & Draper, then select 3 rookies.

Here's one I prepared earlier:

It's interesting that we've waited this long to determine the futures of Merrett, Howlett, Bird, Green, McKernan, Morgan and Long. We've freed up four primary list spots through attrition and used three of those spots bringing in SSS. I struggle to believe that there wouldn't be at least four players that we'd like to give an opportunity to particularly given that there are some of big bodies (young and old) who could be available at 48 and given that we want another tall. The right tall is not necessarily on anyone's radar at 48 which means that we can think more about 'best available' with that pick.

I think that we'll persist with McKernan because he's useful depth as a key forward which is not something that can be replaced. I could see McKernan playing another few years until another key forward option presents himself. Like Leuenberger, McKernan is a useful mature-aged depth player to hold on to.

I can't see how Merrett survives given that he struggled to get a game last year (he's clearly not a player Worsfold likes). Surely Morgan doesn't stay on the senior list either. I'm guessing that one of Howlett, Bird and Green is de-listed and that one might be demoted to the rookie list. The importance of the shuffle between lists would be the availability of another live selection at the national draft.

Bird is probably the most useful of the three senior guys as he can play midfield and forward and is a much better runner than the other two. I'd keep Bird, demote Green and de-list Howlett. Difference between Green and Howlett is that at least Green can use the ball. I really want to hold on to Long and give him the McKenna treatment at half back.

Remaining list changes:

Bird - 1 year
Green - rookie
Morgan - delsited
Merrett - delisted
Howlett - delisted
McKernan - rookie
Long - rookie
Draper - rookie

Would want to offer Draper multiple years but I suspect that he and his management will be too smart for that. He'll be pushing Luenberger for the number 2 spot for 2019 so it makes more sense for him to deal at the end of 2018.

Edit: whether we take picks beyond the the 60s won't be determined by the overall strength of the draft. It will come down necessity and whether whether there are projects or other players we like. We took seven picks in 2015 which was weak and then took fewer picks in 2016 which was strong.

Last edited:
Bird is probably the most useful of the three senior guys as he can play midfield and forward and is a much better runner than the other two. I'd keep Bird, demote Green and de-list Howlett. Difference between Green and Howlett is that at least Green can use the ball. I really want to hold on to Long and give him the McKenna treatment at half back.

Remaining list changes:

Bird - 1 year
Green - rookie
Morgan - delsited
Merrett - delisted
Howlett - delisted
McKernan - rookie
Long - rookie
Draper - rookie

Would want to offer Draper multiple years but I suspect that he and his management will be too smart for that. He'll be pushing Luenberger for the number 2 spot for 2019 so it makes more sense for him to deal at the end of 2018.
I don't think he will ever get a senior opportunity in that role, plenty ahead of him and id much rather play Redman in that role at AFL level aswell. Even Ridley id play ahead of him there. Only spot Long could potentially take is on the wing and he would have to up his disposals numbers and consistency to a level we haven't seen from him.

I don't think he will ever get a senior opportunity in that role, plenty ahead of him and id much rather play Redman in that role at AFL level aswell. Even Ridley id play ahead of him there. Only spot Long could potentially take is on the wing and he would have to up his disposals numbers and consistency to a level we haven't seen from him.

Definitely not in the AFL, in the VFL. If we're going to keep Long around we've got to break the status quo because the wing isn't working for him.

Play him as a small defender and half back at VFL. Have him sit on a man when we doesn't have the ball and take off when we do have it.

I initially thought that it could be a way of bringing the game to him to help him on the wing but the more I think about it the more I like Long as a defender. He'll sit on a forward, I have no doubt about that, and he has the athleticism and ability above head to go with most.

I doubt that leaving him on a wing is going to bring the player out of him. He plays without the confidence that a player with his ability should have. He didn't really improve in 2017 his performances were essentially the same as they were in 2016.

Definitely not in the AFL, in the VFL. If we're going to keep Long around we've got to break the status quo because the wing isn't working for him.

Play him as a small defender and half back at VFL. Have him sit on a man when we doesn't have the ball and take off when we do have it.

I initially thought that it could be a way of bringing the game to him to help him on the wing but the more I think about it the more I like Long as a defender. He'll sit on a forward and has the athleticism and ability above head to go with most.

I doubt that leaving him on a wing is going to bring the player out of him. He didn't really improve in 2017 his performances were essentially the same as they were in 2016.
I can see that but once he does start playing in defence im not sure he will ever break into our AFL side in that role, can he really have another year in the VFL without an AFL game and stay on the list? Its worth a shot I mean we tried it with Jerrett and that obviously never worked and I do hope we persist with Redman down back aswell, wouldn't mind chucking Redman in the guts a few times aswell.

I can see that but once he does start playing in defence im not sure he will ever break into our AFL side in that role, can he really have another year in the VFL without an AFL game and stay on the list? Its worth a shot I mean we tried it with Jerrett and that obviously never worked and I do hope we persist with Redman down back aswell, wouldn't mind chucking Redman in the guts a few times aswell.

Difficulty breaking into a side applies to a number of players and I'm not worried about it with Long any more than any other player. Guys are going to spend a lot of time waiting for opportunities in the next few years. Harrison Wigg, for example, has not played a game in his first three years and he's now been traded for a third round pick. That's part of having a good list - a kid will have to be exceptional or fill a need otherwise he's looking at a minimum 50 game apprenticeship.

We're not exactly flush for half backs and small defenders if we think of McGrath as predominately a midfielder which he now is.

I agree that Redman should be playing in defence but he only moved there in the second half on 2017. McNiece is the only other player you'd pencil in for a spot in the VFL side next year so Long fits in. Long has Morgan covered in every part of the game I can't think of.

Who knows what happens once games start. There is no hierarchy. Redman is not going to get opportunities with inferior form.

Ultimately, everyone will need to add versatility which would mean that Long would still need to be able to play on a wing, I just think half back really suits him. Maybe Redman plays more from the wing.

Edit: no one is hoping that Long dominates from a wing and announces himself as the second coming more than I do but I don't see it happening that way. I think he needs to be taught how to use his strengths.

Last edited:
Well we’re confident in our midfield depth, even if nobody else is.
Says to me we want to fast track guys like Mutch and Clarke in the guts in the VFL and fully commit to Langford and Laverde becoming mids at AFL level.

We may have also done our research on who clubs will be taking in this draft and we are confident on a good inside mid sliding like a Worpel or Mynott.

Says to me we want to fast track guys like Mutch and Clarke in the guts in the VFL and fully commit to Langford and Laverde becoming mids at AFL level.

We may have also done our research on who clubs will be taking in this draft and we are confident on a good inside mid sliding like a Worpel or Mynott.

Still... losing Watson, Hocking, Bird and Howlett all at once is a pretty balls-out move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back