Rumour Tarryn Thomas to the Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

The scuttlebutt on the North board was that he may be interested in playing for a Sydney team to be closer to family.
Hopefully he's happy with Clarko on board, because a fit and firing Tarryn would be a key piece towards future success

View attachment 1494901

No, I do not know how reliable the tweet is.

But smoke & fire and all that
Looks like this Twitter account correctly predicted Sam Walsh being a late out for Carlton in round 23 so perhaps there is some intel there?

It'd definitely be the kind of story the Suns would be wanting right about now after the Rankine trade request. Both 22 years old and both have played around 50 AFL games to date so they should be ready to take the next step. Although most would rate Rankine ahead of Thomas right now, it's entirely possible that TT ends up becoming the better player. He was a prodigious talent in his younger years and sometimes a change of scenery can make all the difference for a player. Look at Charlie Cameron as an example - he showed some good signs at Adelaide but it wasn't until he moved to Brisbane that became truly elite and earned All-Australian honours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like this Twitter account correctly predicted Sam Walsh being a late out for Carlton in round 23 so perhaps there is some intel there?

It'd definitely be the kind of story the Suns would be wanting right about now after the Rankine trade request. Both 22 years old and both have played around 50 AFL games to date so they should be ready to take the next step. Although most would rate Rankine ahead of Thomas right now, it's entirely possible that TT ends up becoming the better player. He was a prodigious talent in his younger years and sometimes a change of scenery can make all the difference for a player. Look at Charlie Cameron as an example - he showed some good signs at Adelaide but it wasn't until he moved to Brisbane that became truly elite and earned All-Australian honours.

A lot can change in 12 months. Thomas’s value was significantly higher this time last year

Looks like Sam Edmund has been reading BigFooty again

North Melbourne talent Tarryn Thomas was “gettable” for rival clubs before Alastair Clarkson’s appointment as senior coach, reports SEN’s Sam Edmund.

Edmund understands Thomas’ management spoke with the Gold Coast Suns months after the midfielder signed a two-year contract extension with the Kangaroos.

But Clarkson’s recent arrival at Arden Street swayed the 22-year-old to stay at the Roos.

Thomas had a difficult 2022 campaign as he grieved the loss of a family member during the season.

“This let us in to what I like to call the Clarkson effect that I wanted to discuss this morning,” Edmund said on SEN’s Whateley.

“Long speculated, long anticipated, and long predicted what he would mean to North Melbourne and the players there, now coming to fruition in reality.

“Let’s talk about the could haves, the could have been tradeds if it wasn’t for Clarkson coming in and the mystique surrounding him, the curiosity from the players, they want to see it for themselves.

“Now Tarryn Thomas signed a two-year contract in February of this year, in footy speak, that’s five minutes ago. The club wanted a four-year deal, he stuck with two – and I’m told it’s a very lucrative two for that contract as well for him to stay.

“But he endured a really difficult year, he saw some tragedy, he experienced some difficulty in his life and his footy never really got going.

“Not too long ago he was gettable … there was a distinct possibility he was going to push for a trade. Gold Coast – there was at least a conversation had between the Suns and the management company that look after that particular player in Tarryn Thomas.

“But Clarkson’s appointment is the major reason – if not the total reason – that he is now staying put. It was certainly a possibility.”

Thomas, the No.8 pick in the 2018 National Draft, has played 57 games for North Melbourne and is contracted until the end of 2024.

Confirmed staying.

Would love to see a breakout year from Tarryn in 2023. He has it in him, its just a matter of it Clarko can extract it.

Needs to realise he wont be in the middle though. Half Back or Half forward for Tarryn.

Poor Tarryn Thomas

Confirmed staying.

Would love to see a breakout year from Tarryn in 2023. He has it in him, its just a matter of it Clarko can extract it.

Needs to realise he wont be in the middle though. Half Back or Half forward for Tarryn.

Confirmed by who?

Source?

I was listening to that this morning, Sam couldn’t have been anymore on the fence with that comment.
We know he had serious discussions with the Suns a month or so ago. That's already been confirmed and perhaps the current Clarko/racism towards indigenous players situation flipped him again after seemingly committing to staying at North? I don't think that's a stretch as I would imagine any indigenous player at North would feel uncomfortable with what's currently happening in regards to Clarkson.

We know he had serious discussions with the Suns a month or so ago. That's already been confirmed and perhaps the current Clarko/racism towards indigenous players situation flipped him again after seemingly committing to staying at North? I don't think that's a stretch as I would imagine any indigenous player at North would feel uncomfortable with what's currently happening in regards to Clarkson.

We know that? Where was it confirmed? I haven’t seen or heard that. Can you show me?

We know that? Where was it confirmed? I haven’t seen or heard that. Can you show me?
August 31st, 2022

North Melbourne's appointment of four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson was a major influence on young Kangaroo Tarryn Thomas staying at Arden Street.

Thomas' management had been in talks with the Gold Coast Suns as the former top-10 draft pick weighed up his future, according to SEN reporter Sam Edmund.

Discussing Thomas' decision to remain at the club on SEN's Whateley, Edmund revealed it all had to do with the "Clarkson effect".

"Not too long ago he was gettable," Edmund said of Thomas.

"There was a distinct possibility he was going to push for a trade. Gold Coast - there was at least a conversation had between the Suns and the management company that look after that particular player in Tarryn Thomas.

"But Clarkson's appointment is the major reason - if not the total reason - that he is now staying put. It was certainly a possibility."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back