Remove this Banner Ad

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Created a ranking system to assess the young talent (24 and under) of each team. The rankings incorporate Supercoach scores, Player Ratings, and Coaches Votes across five categories.

A team finishing first in each category is awarded 18 points, second place gets 17 points, and so on, with the last position earning 1 point.

The five categories are:

• Total Supercoach scores
  • Total Player Ratings
  • Average Supercoach scores
  • Average Player Ratings
  • Total Coaches Votes

The rationale behind including both totals and averages for statistical categories is that a team may have a small number of young players but those players could be of high quality. Conversely, a team might have many young players, but that doesn't necessarily indicate quality. I believe both factors should be weighted equally.

For Coaches Votes, have chosen not to calculate averages as votes are assigned only to the top 5 players and do not represent the entire team. Despite this, I believe Coaches Votes provide valuable additional weighting to the rankings.

Hawthorn ranked first for Supercoach and Player Ratings totals

Essendon ranked first for Player Ratings average

Fremantle ranked first for Supercoach average

Gold Coast and Port Adelaide ranked first for Coaches Votes.

2022-2012

Last edited:

So probably grimmest reading for eagles and Carlton who are down there on the ladder and also youth quality.

Conversely, Port are sitting quite nicely for youth considering they're already one of the best teams in the comp.
Not grim for WCE, as we've just embarked on a rebuild and been flogged with injuries.

I'd be more concerned about Carlton, as they believe they're contending but they're nowhere near it and their youth is no good.

Created a ranking system to assess the young talent (24 and under) of each team. The rankings incorporate Supercoach scores, Player Ratings, and Coaches Votes across five categories.

A team finishing first in each category is awarded 18 points, second place gets 17 points, and so on, with the last position earning 1 point.

The five categories are:

• Total Player Ratings
  • Average Champion Data
  • Total Coaches Votes

The rationale behind including both totals and averages for statistical categories is that a team may have a small number of young players but those players could be of high quality. Conversely, a team might have many young players, but that doesn't necessarily indicate quality. I believe both factors should be weighted equally.

For Coaches Votes, have chosen not to calculate averages as votes are assigned only to the top 5 players and do not represent the entire team. Despite this, I believe Coaches Votes provide valuable additional weighting to the rankings.

View attachment 1731500

Wouldnt call 24 young in AFL terms personally, but interesting data.

So probably grimmest reading for eagles and Carlton who are down there on the ladder and also youth quality.

Conversely, Port are sitting quite nicely for youth considering they're already one of the best teams in the comp.
Port have rebuilt without having to bottom out. Last time they won less than 10 games in a season was 2012. Pretty impressive.
Sydney received pats on the back for years for their ability to rebuild without bottoming out but they had cola, academies.
Sydney never had to deal with being little brother either like how Port have had to deal with being little brother to the Crows.

Do North Melbourne need a priority pick?

I was curious to see if there would be massive changes in the rankings from week to week and apart from a few teams there isn't.

North went from 8th to 6th in the rankings due the 3% increase in Player Ratings (which is a lot in one week), so the answer for them asking for a PP is no they shouldn't get one. Considering they will probably finish second last (unless they beat the Hawks by 11 goals this week) and West Coast may try and get Curtin, they will get Harley Reid. What more do they want?

Last edited:

I was curious to see if there would be massive changes in the rankings from week to week and apart from a few teams there isn't.

North went from 8th to 6th in the rankings due the 3% increase in Player Ratings (which is a lot in one week), so the answer for them asking for a PP is no they shouldn't get one. Considering they will probably finish second last (unless they beat the Hawks by 11 goals this week) and West Coast may try and get Curtin, they will get Harley Reid. What more do they want?

Roby: Do I want North Melbourne to dilute Hawthorn's first round pick?

Ummm the answer is no. Here's a bunch of numbers. Hawthorn rank 1 for youf also.

They aren't subject to bias though. Not at all.

Roby: Do I want North Melbourne to dilute Hawthorn's first round pick?

Ummm the answer is no. Here's a bunch of numbers. Hawthorn rank 1 for youf also.

They aren't subject to bias though. Not at all.

So you don't agree that North has the 6th best youth? Where do you think they rank and why?

Hawthorn is ranked 2nd, not first BTW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Roby starts ranking, I start w...

Drink Reaction GIF by Laff

So you don't agree that North has the 6th best youth? Where do you think they rank and why?

Hawthorn is ranked 2nd, not first BTW.

I don't know. My opinion is we are s***house. We have good youf in the midfield little outside that.

I don't think you can draw the conclusions you have from this ranking system. You have, because you want to.

I don't know. My opinion is we are s***house. We have good youf in the midfield little outside that.

I don't think you can draw the conclusions you have from this ranking system. You have, because you want to.

I don't want to draw any conclusions other than what the data shows. You can then form your own conclusions. It's not supposed to be an exact science given were dealing with player performance, particularly young players.

The five categories are:

• Total Player Ratings
  • Average Player Ratings
  • Total Coaches Votes

would it be fair to say that the main reason Hawks are ranked first for totals is due to a much higher number of young players

Averages (or medians and standard deviations) would be more useful

Port have rebuilt without having to bottom out. Last time they won less than 10 games in a season was 2012. Pretty impressive.
Sydney received pats on the back for years for their ability to rebuild without bottoming out but they had cola, academies.
Sydney never had to deal with being little brother either like how Port have had to deal with being little brother to the Crows.
We haven't had cola in over a decade.

We had draft sanctions imposed by the AFL in a fit of anger after the Franklin trade because the AFL wanted him to go to GWS . GWS got loads of draft picks in those years anyway.

Out academy is nowhere near as good as BigFooty seems to think. The Qld ones have overtaken it.

And the academy players we did get we still had to use high draft picks on anyway.

Lots of myths out there. But we are in the shitter now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back