Meet Up The 2017 Official Meet Up Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When I grew up, ALL Geelong games were on a Sat avo. None of this Thu/Fri night stuff.
You are spot on though.
And Geelong will always be home for me.
Hope we get there on time to get into LOTI.

Did you also walk millions of kms thru the snow to get to these Geelong games?

:)

When I grew up, ALL Geelong games were on a Sat avo. None of this Thu/Fri night stuff.
You are spot on though.
And Geelong will always be home for me.
Hope we get there on time to get into LOTI.
Those were the days dubs. I'd grab out the record and search through A,B,C and D to find out the scores from other games as the scoreboard assistant politely updated the scores ... Back then all games were played on the same day.

Then as soon as the siren went we'd rush home and try and catch a glimpse of the replay hoping Geelong were involved in the match of the day and we were afforded the luxury of watching the last quarter.

If you didn't attend the game rarely did you get the opportunity to see any more than a couple of minutes of footage.

Football broadcasts have come a long way since the 80's to state the obvious.

I hope to see you there.

So who is coming along to the Lord of the Isles?

I plan to be there. My oldest brother, the one from the Cretaceous period, is coming down and may be a hindrance to getting there on time, or at all. We will see what happens.

does Cretaceous Man recognise train stops by chance Rabbi? :D

He generally travels by car.

article-2017721-0D1DEF0D00000578-845_634x374.jpg

Those were the days dubs. I'd grab out the record and search through A,B,C and D to find out the scores from other games as the scoreboard assistant politely updated the scores ... Back then all games were played on the same day.

Then as soon as the siren went we'd rush home and try and catch a glimpse of the replay hoping Geelong were involved in the match of the day and we were afforded the luxury of watching the last quarter.

Lmao, yeah I remember the footy replay. 6.30-7.30pm, once it finished the TV was switched over to Hey Hey its Saturday, just in time for Red Faces. Never knew what happened in the first hour of Hey Hey for many years :(

Also remember:
- Running for your lives to get a seat at KP (after waiting in a line that stretched back under the railway bridge on Moorabool St)- and when I say seat I mean wooden plank type seating with no backs on them.IIRC we had 4 rows of that seating- Whitten Oval had 1 or 2.
- It being perfectly legal to put an umbrella up at the footy and block everyone else's view
- Police horses coming around at half time???? (Randomly saw 2 officers on horseback walking down to Fed Square after the game last week- have not seen this for years)
- Cheers squad throwing up confetti/cut up newspaper and streamers after a goal. Bring this back pls Gill.
- Reserved seating at the MCG being in the minority of the seating around the ground and GA being the majority. Or no res seats.

Lmao, yeah I remember the footy replay. 6.30-7.30pm, once it finished the TV was switched over to Hey Hey its Saturday, just in time for Red Faces. Never knew what happened in the first hour of Hey Hey for many years :(

Also remember:
- Running for your lives to get a seat at KP (after waiting in a line that stretched back under the railway bridge on Moorabool St)- and when I say seat I mean wooden plank type seating with no backs on them.IIRC we had 4 rows of that seating- Whitten Oval had 1 or 2.
- It being perfectly legal to put an umbrella up at the footy and block everyone else's view
- Police horses coming around at half time???? (Randomly saw 2 officers on horseback walking down to Fed Square after the game last week- have not seen this for years)
- Cheers squad throwing up confetti/cut up newspaper and streamers after a goal. Bring this back pls Gill.
- Reserved seating at the MCG being in the minority of the seating around the ground and GA being the majority. Or no res seats.
Running over the road at half time and buying the minimum chips ... taking them back to our seat that was protected by a scarf used as its reserved sign.

I remember getting to the ground at 8am, reserving our spot at the front of the line and then disappearing to kick the footy until the gates opened. Then it was a foot race for a seat on the fence at the Moorobool st wing.

Running over the road at half time and buying the minimum chips ... taking them back to our seat that was protected by a scarf used as its reserved sign.

Oh my god, thank you for reminding me about the time about 5-6 years ago at KP, buying about $30 worth of fish and chips for me and friends inside the ground and being stopped by a complete bitch of a security guard on some power trip gleefully saying to me "No commercially produced food allowed" and refusing me entry.

Called Eliza, got her to get a pass out, smuggle the food under a big coat, while I go back thru the turnstile.

Sooooooooo wanted to go up to the security guard later and casually offer her a leftover chip, but was scared she could use that as grounds to throw me out of the ground or something. Damn that would have been good tho, to see the look on her face..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not for me I've been busy for a change.
I've got more work to do that enough hours to do it..

And it has just started to rain so we'll get wet tonight.

4 hours till knock off....

My arvo goes like this.

Organised wife to pick up kids and get dinner - tick
Pour glass of wine - tick
Assemble a 20 litre weed sprayer - 80% tick. And while I'm on that. They are $250 at Bunnings and I got it online for 30. Only issue is its Chinese so it's not a simple assemble.

Then do dishes.
Then light the wood fire. Had a ton of red gum delivered yesterday.
Then cook.
Then pray.

*jokes on the last one. But we might need it.

Text me when you're on your way and I'll have a beer ready.

Cool, well enjoy guys.

My plan for tonight is gym, get subway, doona, watch game.

Hope the rain clears up by game time too.

Home by 11 pm..

Bed by 1130 pm...

Alarm at 1 am..
KROCK pregame by 105...

Game at 250 am...

Start Review thread ( cause we are gonna win!!!) at 6 am...
MVP thread starts at 603...

Bed by 615..

Alarm at 8 15 am..

Work by 9 am...

ps.. dont you ******* let me down GFC!!!

GO Catters

Text me when you're on your way and I'll have a beer ready.
I've acquired myself a lift mate and will be getting picked up at 6 I believe

Home by 11 pm..

Bed by 1130 pm...

Alarm at 1 am..
KROCK pregame by 105...

Game at 250 am...

Start Review thread ( cause we are gonna win!!!) at 6 am...
MVP thread starts at 603...

Bed by 615..

Alarm at 8 15 am..

Work by 9 am...

ps.. dont you ******* let me down GFC!!!

GO Catters
I don't know why you wouldn't skip the pre game. More sleep!

I've acquired myself a lift mate and will be getting picked up at 6 I believe
I'm playing bowls tomorrow ... there's a good chance I'll be hungover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back