The 500 club

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it all comes down to when you think Brown will actually return. If it's next week as he says then he would be favourite. If not I think Pav would be a decent chance to have kicked 8 across rounds 2, 3 & 4 which would probably see him do it at the same time as Brown.

His current average is 3 goals per game. Assuming he stays at that rate, he'd need 333 games to hit 1000 goals. That's another 190 games to get there. Not impossible, but fairly unlikely.

His accuracy has not been something to write home about. 88 behinds in 2008! I think he'd be a genuine chance to kick 1000, but it depends on where he is played.

Lloyd would've got there if it wasn't for that damn hamstring..

Lloyd would have gotten it if he had been played in position by Sheedy and Knights.

Is that 49th player VFL/AFL?

Because many a 'WA Club' player has kicked over 500, like Bernie Naylor for the Bullies for example cracking the 1000 mark.

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

How many of the 49 who've kicked 500 were small forwards?

Can't imagine it's many, which will make it quite an achievement by Milne.

How many of the 49 who've kicked 500 were small forwards?

Can't imagine it's many, which will make it quite an achievement by Milne.

Of the over 500s, only Matthews, Johnson and Daicos would be classified as small forwards. The rest are KPFs.

Hudson did it in 87 games. Lockett in 104 games and I am pretty sure Dunstall and McKenna would have done it in fast time.
McKenna kicked 874 goals in 191 games.

In five seasons from 69-73 inclusive, he kicked 97, 143, 134, 130 & 86.

McKenna kicked 874 goals in 191 games.

In five seasons from 69-73 inclusive, he kicked 97, 143, 134, 130 & 86.

It's funny he is never rated as highly as Hudson, Coleman, Lockett and Dunstall. His numbers stack up quite well and he was a beautiful kick.

Hudson... 500 in 87 games!

Incredible.
Hudson was a freak.

In his last two full seasons of senior football in Tassie (78 & 79) he kicked around 390 goals.

In all senior football he kicked over 2000.

I remember him doing his knee in Round 1, 1972. It was in the goal square. He was in agony. Had 8 before half-time against (I think) Melbourne.

Hawthorn flew him in (by helicopter onto the ground no less) for one game at Waverley in 73. He was still basically on one leg (knees weren't quite as straightforward to fix on those days), his first shot at goal was from the boundary and he nailed it. Kicked 8 from memory.

Didn't play VFL football again until 1977 when Hawthorn talked him into coming back over to play. Kicked 110.

Best full-foward I have seen.

It's funny he is never rated as highly as Hudson, Coleman, Lockett and Dunstall. His numbers stack up quite well and he was a beautiful kick.
In the days when a lot of full-forwards (and players in general) were kicking torpedo/flat punts (eg f-f's such as Wade, Hudson) McKenna was using the drop punt.

And he was a magnificent exponent of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Buddy has a chance of hitting 1000 goals, already on 456 after just 143 games.

Would he though?

Will Buddy even play 300 games like he'd most likely need to to get the job done?

Worth noting that Ablett Snr topped 500 in his 140th game in 1991. It wasn't until '93 that he became a permanent stay-at-home forward; until then, he was playing wing/half forward and occasionally off half back with regular stints at full forward/forward pocket. Given that, pretty comparable.

He'd never have played full forward all his career given he was a born winger (at least until his late 20s), but if he had, 1200-1400 goals is not out of the question. There's a 3 part Ablett tribute video being put together at the moment, part of which I've seen, and some of the stuff he did in the late 80s early 90s (once he'd become more consistent) boggles the mind. There's a 75-80 metre torp for a goal at one point (in 1992 I think), ridiculous.

Anyway, getting off track. 500 seems a good measure of quality where forwards are concerned, especially if reached between 100-200 games.

Hudson was a freak.

In his last two full seasons of senior football in Tassie (78 & 79) he kicked around 390 goals.

In all senior football he kicked over 2000.

I remember him doing his knee in Round 1, 1972. It was in the goal square. He was in agony. Had 8 before half-time against (I think) Melbourne.

Hawthorn flew him in (by helicopter onto the ground no less) for one game at Waverley in 73. He was still basically on one leg (knees weren't quite as straightforward to fix on those days), his first shot at goal was from the boundary and he nailed it. Kicked 8 from memory.

Didn't play VFL football again until 1977 when Hawthorn talked him into coming back over to play. Kicked 110.

Best full-foward I have seen.

Never saw him. I just think of how Lloyd was when he was young, the first half of his career, how he just piled up goals week after week and would dominate games.

As I said earlier he kicked his 500 in 142 games. You get some perspective when you read Hudson did it in 87!

Brown and Pav both started the same year, in 2000. That Pavlich has kicked almost the same number of goals as Brown, and played almost 50 more games, really highlights how much footy Brown has missed over the years mostly through injury.

If Brown plays next week, and I'm sure he is as they might not risk him on the longest trip in football, then he should get there first.
If he does play then it could even be possible that both he and Pav get to 500 together in the same game!

Pav has played a lot of midfield time in the last few years though. If he had of played forward all that time things would be different regarding goal tallies. Agree though, Brown has missed an awful lot of footy.....

Buddy is clearly the best forward in recent history, and will possiblly be the best ever. You can sought of see him starting to play up the ground more though if the Hawks can find other avenues to goal. He could do some serious damage playing off a wing IMO, then drfiting forward here and there.

KB was a key forward? Wow, he really could do it all.
No doubt Kev would agree with the bolded bit. To add to that and not to belabour the point but Ablett was (and still is I expect) 185cm. Standard KPF height in the 50s maybe, but not when he played and certainly not now.

Buddy is clearly the best forward in recent history, and will possiblly be the best ever.
I know a lot of stuff gets thrown around on BF, much of it throwaway, but while I'm here...

If by best you mean most talented, sure. For output, several recent players have him covered at the moment, Lloyd being a notable one. As for the second bit, no. At least, not unless he moves up a gear or two. He's a freakish, match-winning player reaching his prime, but I'm not sure the echoes of his career will reach as far beyond his own era as some of his contemporaries (Ablett and Judd to name two). On the other hand, he might just move up those gears and become the defining player of his generation and possibly beyond. I'll enjoy watching either way.

As for all time, wow. You're talking about some amazing players that he'll have to top in ways that go beyond ball-in-hand output. Leadership, flags, dominance on an unprecedented level, key moments in football history. He'll top Carey, Dunstall, Matthews? Coleman? Lockett?? Brett Spinks??? On pure natural talent, Ablett Snr has him (and everyone else for that matter) covered. Then there's guys like Bunton and Stewart, though the era comparison issue is ever present.

If he plays a major role in nailing a few more flags before he's done, 5-8 AAs and notches a few MVP style awards (though he did collect the 2007 Marn Grook award), that will go a loooong way to pushing him into the upper reaches.

I know a lot of stuff gets thrown around on BF, much of it throwaway, but while I'm here...

If by best you mean most talented, sure. For output, several recent players have him covered at the moment, Lloyd being a notable one.
Mainly in terms of goals.

What you ignore is that Buddy does a heck of a lot more around the ground than many traditional FF. That is one reason why he is rated so highly.

If he manages to avg the 20 and 3, he will go down as one of the greatest ever. Certainly within his capabilities.

Mainly in terms of goals.

What you ignore is that Buddy does a heck of a lot more around the ground than many traditional FF. That is one reason why he is rated so highly.

If he manages to avg the 20 and 3, he will go down as one of the greatest ever. Certainly within his capabilities.
Hang on, so mainly in terms of goals but now also in terms of his around the ground work? Make your mind up man!

I'm not exactly ignoring it as such, I did list a few players who weren't traditional full forwards, but it did appear that it was mainly as a forward that you were discussing him.

20 and 3 would be very impressive, pipping just about everyone. At the moment he's averaging 14.7 and 3.2 according to AFL tables. Carey averaged 16.5 and 2.7, which is a pretty handy goal average when you consider he played a good few games at half back. Ablett Snr was 15.2 and 4.2, Matthew Richardson 14.0 and 2.8 and Leigh Matthews rather stands out at 21.8 and 2.8. Lloyd sits at 13.0 and 3.4 which is a higher disposal average than I expected. Mark Jackson averaged 3.8 goals a game! :eek: Finally, ol' Sticks Kernahan averaged 14.3 and 2.9.

Anyway, for Franklin to differentiate himself to the required degree, then 20 and 3 would probably do it, even allowing for the greater rate of possession in modern football. If anything, football then to now makes Matthews' career stats even more alarming.

If Franklin could somehow achieve the scoring output of all those players combined, I reckon he'd pass as the best. That's 5278 goals, though I might have miscalculated. At his current average, he'll need to play 1650 games (roughly 66 years from debut, assuming they reach the GF every year without a finals loss. He's already behind the 8-ball) to reach that tally. I have a mate that reckons he can do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back