The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the go brewery-wise down south these days?
I haven't been for ages but I've got a weekend down there coming up.
I've got Beerfarm on my list, probably have time to go to a couple more (promised to drive the mrs around the next day) so what others are worth visiting?

Is there much over there from NZ?

Wines from NZ..yes..beers and spirits no. The most likely area in the US for OZ/NZ beverages would be Southern California. Liquor laws are not uniform here. There are many states where wine or spirits cannot be shipped to home. If there is not a state licensed distributor for the product you are out of luck. Craft beer quality is mostly subpar, but Revolver, St. Arnolds, and Shiner are mostly drinkable Texas brands. German brands like Weihenstephan are regular fare. American big brand and Mexican beer is mostly p*ss except for Modelo.

Australian wines have always been plentiful and varied. The last non-Coopers Aussie beer I had was in Tulsa of all places. I was shocked to see it on the bar and grill beer list and I had to try it. It was Bridge Road Pale Ale if my memory serves.

I've got Beerfarm on my list, probably have time to go to a couple more (promised to drive the mrs around the next day) so what others are worth visiting?
Rocky Ridge are supposed to be doing some good things? (https://www.rockyridgebrewing.com.au/home)

Brewhouse Margaret River was the pick of the ones I went to earlier in the year (Beerfarm was still closed). Just on the northern edge of town, you could walk to it if you are staying in town. Very nice beers and decent selection of styles.

Definitely go to Wild Hop

Cheeky Monkey have a new production brewery with a bar in Vasse, and Rocky Ridge have a cellar door with plenty of taps and takeaways in Busselton.

Beyond that, Beer Farm is great if you're Margs bound, Wild Hop is a must visit when you swing through Yallingup, and if you're around Dunsborough then Eagle Bay is always consistent, if a little tricky to get into at times.

Colonial have opened back up now, and I think they were the last to do so. I haven't been to Black Brewing in ages and don't know if I'm missing much, was a little disappointed to go to Cheeky Monkey (Wilyabrup) last trip down and just be met with their core range beers on tap. Still haven't made it to Margs Brewhouse, but having sampled a few of their cans around Perth I think it'd be worth a visit. Their food is supposed to be pretty good, and I can confirm Beer Farms food (via Burnt Ends Smoking Co) and Wild Hops food are both great.

Cheeky Monkey have a new production brewery with a bar in Vasse, and Rocky Ridge have a cellar door with plenty of taps and takeaways in Busselton.

Beyond that, Beer Farm is great if you're Margs bound, Wild Hop is a must visit when you swing through Yallingup, and if you're around Dunsborough then Eagle Bay is always consistent, if a little tricky to get into at times.

Colonial have opened back up now, and I think they were the last to do so. I haven't been to Black Brewing in ages and don't know if I'm missing much, was a little disappointed to go to Cheeky Monkey (Wilyabrup) last trip down and just be met with their core range beers on tap. Still haven't made it to Margs Brewhouse, but having sampled a few of their cans around Perth I think it'd be worth a visit. Their food is supposed to be pretty good, and I can confirm Beer Farms food (via Burnt Ends Smoking Co) and Wild Hops food are both great.
Blacks was decent, great location but they were only doing takeaways when I was there. Solid beers without being special.
Cheeky Monkey was fine, again a nice place to sit and have a beer. Got some takeaways of their Imperial Red which was superb but yeah the tap list was only middling.

Make sure you book, people everywhere down south. Eagle bay brewery , the Kolsch is great and the beef burger is next level. Enjoy the weekend.

Went to Cheeky Monkey the year it opened, was the first and only time I couldn't finish a pint. The burger was worse ( I'm not kidding ) than a Maccas. Never been back.

If you want to impress the Mr's, take her to Little Fish in Yall's. The food is sensational. Thank me later.

Went to Cheeky Monkey the year it opened, was the first and only time I couldn't finish a pint. The burger was worse ( I'm not kidding ) than a Maccas. Never been back.

I had a similar experience in their early years, before they changed head brewer (who is now at Rocky Ridge).

I'd recommend giving them another go. They've been producing some great small batch beers in cans lately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoyed the place but this for me what the most disappointing part.

I did get some for a growler but would have loved to have tried their experimental ones from the tap.

Enjoyed the place but this for me what the most disappointing part.

I did get some for a growler but would have loved to have tried their experimental ones from the tap.

I'm not sure what's driving this as it wasn't always the way. Perhaps they only produce enough for packaged sales? I was hoping to get some fresh East Coast series on tap, would've made my day!

That's why I love Wild Hop. Some crazy new beer on tap every week, fresh and rotating tap list.

I'm not sure what's driving this as it wasn't always the way. Perhaps they only produce enough for packaged sales? I was hoping to get some fresh East Coast series on tap, would've made my day!

That's why I love Wild Hop. Some crazy new beer on tap every week, fresh and rotating tap list.

It was odd.

Yeah loved Wild hop.

Was down that way in August, I agree that Wild Hop was the pick of the bunch, closely followed by Beer Farm, both have a great selection of beers and good settings. The MR Brew House has some decent beers and is well worth a visit, Black is in nice grounds and their beer is OK, Colonial and Cowaramup are both pretty good.

Bootleg and Cheeky Monkey both a bit underwhelming, Bootleg’s beers are especially uninspiring, Cheeky Monkey I haven’t found a beer of theirs that I love yet. Stopped in at the Rocky Ridge cellar door in Busso last time I was down there, little quirk in that they can only serve tasters but they had a lot of different beers available, again though, wouldn’t say that I loved any of the ones that I tried. Bit of a thing for fruit infused pales (like the Peach) that I just can’t get fully on board with.

Make sure you book, people everywhere down south. Eagle bay brewery , the Kolsch is great and the beef burger is next level. Enjoy the weekend.
Was down that way in August, I agree that Wild Hop was the pick of the bunch, closely followed by Beer Farm, both have a great selection of beers and good settings. The MR Brew House has some decent beers and is well worth a visit, Black is in nice grounds and their beer is OK, Colonial and Cowaramup are both pretty good.

Bootleg and Cheeky Monkey both a bit underwhelming, Bootleg’s beers are especially uninspiring, Cheeky Monkey I haven’t found a beer of theirs that I love yet. Stopped in at the Rocky Ridge cellar door in Busso last time I was down there, little quirk in that they can only serve tasters but they had a lot of different beers available, again though, wouldn’t say that I loved any of the ones that I tried. Bit of a thing for fruit infused pales (like the Peach) that I just can’t get fully on board with.

Blacks was decent, great location but they were only doing takeaways when I was there. Solid beers without being special.
Cheeky Monkey was fine, again a nice place to sit and have a beer. Got some takeaways of their Imperial Red which was superb but yeah the tap list was only middling.

Cheers guys, have booked Beerfarm (and now Wild Hop after all the recommendations). I figure it's going to be pretty chaotic down there at the moment. I'm a big fan of Eagle Bay, I really love their Cacao Stout. I might drop into Blacks or Cheeky Monkey if I'm going past just to try a couple of their beers, won't stress me too much if I can't get in there.

If you want to impress the Mr's, take her to Little Fish in Yall's. The food is sensational. Thank me later.

Staying 5 minutes down the road from Little Fish so I was thinking about going there for dinner, will definitely now after that recommendation.

Last edited:
so how did we manage to drown out that s**t show last night? The national in Freo selling $9.50 pints of Nail VPA kinda help ease the pain.

so how did we manage to drown out that sh*t show last night? The national in Freo selling $9.50 pints of Nail VPA kinda help ease the pain.

Consisted of the following

Still didn't help. I'm also still in lockdown here in Vic so was in a really good place mentally yesterday. 1 ******* point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back