THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? šŸ˜¢

Remove this Banner Ad

I get your point and for a board running a club in a minor league that is probably fine.
AFL clubs are now a business, whilst having people with a football background is important, our directors need to have more than that for us to move forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You could end up with more a corporation than a club however.

A cynical part of me thinks that we already are......
Co-captains, lack of fight for the PBs, early renewal of coaching contract, loss of accountability to members, doesn't scream out strong, traditional football club to me.......

When I see guys like Fiacchi almost pushed aside, and candidates like you (who obviously care about the club and have skills they can contribute) who can't get a look in I really fear for the future of the club.
I really do hope Wanganeen provides a strong ex-players voice to the board - (especially as other have pointed out, that his indigenous role is important) but I fear he's more of a Koch yes-man rather than a voice of the people.

We have an ex-politician whose most visible effort has been to tweet commending our "effort" after a loss, and we have an "influencer" who apparently doesn't even support our club. We now exist to make our community proud......all seems very corporate to me!!

As most here know, I live OS and PAFC is one of the few things that still links me to home. Unfortunately I feel that link weakening.......

Last edited:
Wangas, as much as I love him, has absolutely no place on the board. Brings absolutely zero and is in it for self interest.

Day is a v good appointment. Restas is a gun and I am also a big wrap for K Osborn. Cahill brings great skills with his history in elite sports and is believed to have challenged Ken and coaches regularly.

Didnā€™t mind Fiacchi but when he acts like a child with his FB posts slagging the club sarcastically about decisions that were made when he was on the board then you know heā€™s not appropriate either.

Holly Ransom is hugely impressive, but I am not sure if she is being utilised well enough, whether she has enough time or what her input is ....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Gav really needs to be an Indigenous spokesperson for the Club, with the Academies named in his honour, and a non-voting Board member. Use his true skills to best advantage.

We need a Board that fights for things that matter - just for starters, wearing the PB's a few times every year and **** Eddie; getting the James Borlase allocation to the Cows overturned as a matter of principle even if he turns out to not be a good player; having some meaningful member representation on the Board; getting deadly serious about China involvement; etc.

In my view, the AFL is a corporation and the clubs are effectively just branch offices of that corporation and expected to behave as such.

I also think the whole concept of ordinary people being members of AFL clubs is pretty much a sham, in effect a kind of ponzi scheme run by the AFL to generate revenue.

If you think back to 20 or 25 years ago, most clubs had very small membership numbers and they tended to act more independently than they do now.

The AFL hit upon the idea of increasing memberships to generate revenue but at the same time has increased its corporate control over the clubs, which effectively means that club members are being taken for a ride.

The AFL has no interest in giving club members any actual power over what happens at their club. It simply wants their money while reserving control for itself.

I see some of this as an inevitable consequence of the money and full-time professionalism that is now in the game, and some of it as the result of the flawed, Vic-centric model we ended up with for the national competition.

In any event, the PAFC that most of us grew up with is now gone and I don't think we're ever getting it back. We'll have to get used to supporting another franchise whose best interests will always come second to those of the corporation it belongs and answers to.

I ******* love Wangas but maaaaaybe he should be rocking up to our home games? I feel like it might help with a general understanding of the 'big picture' of the club or maybe I'm overthinking it?

A few dot points of interest re our new director, Andrew Day:

1. He served on the PAFC China Advisory Group prior to its evaporation.

2. He has been at each of the three Shanghai matches.

3. For the 2017 match, perhaps again in 2018 and 2019 (I only attended in 2017) he brought with him contacts of his in three prominent PRC State Owned Enterprises.

4. All expenses paid out of his own pocket.

5. He is a passionate Port man.

A few dot points of interest re our new director, Andrew Day:

1. He served on the PAFC China Advisory Group prior to its evaporation.

2. He has been at each of the three Shanghai matches.

3. For the 2017 match, perhaps again in 2018 and 2019 (I only attended in 2017) he brought with him contacts of his in three prominent PRC State Owned Enterprises.

4. All expenses paid out of his own pocket.

5. He is a passionate Port man.
This does sound promising.

Did he wear the prison bars to any if those games?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wasn't Keith all talk no action on China?
Maybe this guy can rescue Asia for us

I dunno.

I went to highschool with a girl that was a complete overachiever, on a heap of committee for youth organisations, flew around the country, met with the PMs. Was quite unimpressive in everyday life. Holly reminds me of a girl like her carrying that in to adulthood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I researched her bio. She was a legal secretary that go to be the EA for the CEO of NAB. That role obviously opened doors for her which she took.

I researched her bio. She was a legal secretary that go to be the EA for the CEO of NAB. That role obviously opened doors for her which she took.
????????

That is very interesting, Rick.

But you, yourself, have expressed bemusement as to her role on the Board.

What has she achieved?

How long will she be there?

When will Koch reveal what he had in mind when he manipulated her, a high IQ West Coast supporter, on to the Board?

Does he even remember what he had in mind?

When will the Chairman indicate a respect for the members and supporters by approving a public assessment of every Board memberā€™s contribution to the future success of the Club ... including his own?

When did she work at NAB?

It was on her Profile. It was interest a standard admin employee that had this accelerated job role to a major bank CEO then got opportunities from there. Iā€™m a believer people have to take their opportunities however so good luck to here.

I have seen her board performance but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s being maximised. What is her role? Opportunities? To guide marketing? Greater connection with millennials?

It was on her Profile. It was interest a standard admin employee that had this accelerated job role to a major bank CEO then got opportunities from there. Iā€™m a believer people have to take their opportunities however so good luck to here.

I have seen her board performance but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s being maximised. What is her role? Opportunities? To guide marketing? Greater connection with millennials?
Sorry that should have been where did she work at NAB? She was "chief of staff" of the CEO of a division of NAB - Wealth. She didnt work for the CEO of NAB.

Chief of Staff to the NAB Wealth Chief Executive
Company Name National Australia Bank
Dates Employed May 2014 ā€“ Apr 2015
Employment Duration1 yr
Location Melbourne, Australia

My role involves working with the NAB Wealth Leadership Team to help deliver major long-term strategic objectives, with a particular future-focused emphasis on how we 'win tomorrow'. I commenced as a Strategic Project Consultant in the Office of the CEO in July and have been serving as Chief of Staff since October.

She is very impressive in her personal business pursuits (outside of her role at Port) is what I am saying.

Not particularly, none of them imo actually achieve anything but she was quite successful in finding a gap to jump into to sell consulting into the corporate world. She's been here three years now and we have a shitshow of a digital strategy still so I still have to ask what is the point if this is her strength?

A 10 seat board is massive overkill for operations the size of a football club. Feels odd that we donā€™t have a greater representation of ā€˜footballā€™ types.

A mostly member elected board would give us that.

Holly Ransom comes from deep within the Perth establishment. She would have more doors open to her than just those her job at NAB opened up. People I know who have had a bit to do with her say she is extremely intelligent, a go getter, etc. Probably doesn't add much to our board but you can blame the guy who appointed her for that.

Holly Ransom comes from deep within the Perth establishment. She would have more doors open to her than just those her job at NAB opened up. People I know who have had a bit to do with her say she is extremely intelligent, a go getter, etc. Probably doesn't add much to our board but you can blame the guy who appointed her for that.
And that's why Rio Tinto boss Sam Walsh created a job for her as she was doing her 3rd degree, before she spent time at NAB. She did paralegal work during her uni holidays before this job below when she was still studying for her Law degree.

Abbott appointed her to be G20 Youth Summit Chair after she finished up with Sam Walsh in October 2013 for the G20 Summit held in Brisbane in November 2014. That's probably why she worked at the NAB as there was a finance and banking component to the G20 Youth Sumit.

That's where she met Obama and other world leaders and that's when all these board opportunities opened up for her because lots of organisations are looking for bright young women to appoint to their board to meet there quotas. So at the end of 2014 things just opened up for her across the board - at 24 years of age, a high achiever, 3 degrees under her belt, worked for CEO of Rio, worked in banking and the G20 Youth Summit chair gave her contacts to lots of world leaders and their bureaucrats.

Business Analyst
Company Name
Rio Tinto
Dates Employed Nov 2011 ā€“ Oct 2013
Employment Duration 2 yrs
Location Perth

I worked in a role created for me by Rio Tinto CEO Sam Walsh, which included assisting with developing and directing business improvement and change management initiatives, while supporting senior management with report and speech writing and special strategic projects such as restructuring the organisationā€™s corporate social responsibility strategy. My role also involved 25% of my time being rotated through the company learning under all the general managers, while simultaneously writing an evaluation of the organisation for the CEO and a strategy for areas for productivity and effectiveness gains.

Last edited:
Iā€™m still yet to see anything that suggests Holly is acting in the best interests of the club instead of her own interests. I feel the same way about Cos btw.

If itā€™s true that our debt is continuing to rise and weā€™re barely scraping by, thatā€™s a massive fail and thatā€™s on all the board members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back