Opinion The Booing of Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is still boorish in the extreme. Goodes basically pleaded for it to stop, said it was hurting him and what was the response? It ramped up.

No matter what the motivation was in people’s heads, it became tantamount to bullying after a while.
So, at the very least it was culturally insensitive. If you know it’s being perceived as racism then you’re contributing to the flaming of that perception by becoming a part of a mob that no doubt included racist opportunists.
No debate from me there, I agree with this.

A lot of it was racism, I have zero doubt in my mind.
Some of it, not a lot of it. I believe the main thing was when people where told not to do something it made them want to do it more.
The math doesn't add up when Racism is considered as the sole factor of booing. Take the 2015 RD8 HAW vs SYD game, where Goddes got Booed by fans as an example:

- The game had a total crowd attendance of 63,319
- Let's assume 65% of that crowd were Hawks fans
- Let's now assume 70% of Hawks fans, were booing Goodes
- That's approx 28,000 - 30,000 people booing Goodes

No doubt that there was a percentage of people booing for the wrong reasons - and I believe we all agree that those people can * right off. I think one of the biggest reasons Goodes got booed is down to pack mentality and the fact that it psyched a very good player out of the game.

The other point of view to be considered is that Sydney were booing their own player. Jeff Kennett likes this theory.

No debate from me there, I agree with this.

The math doesn't add up when Racism is considered as the sole factor of booing. Take the 2015 RD8 HAW vs SYD game, where Goddes got Booed by fans as an example:

- The game had a total crowd attendance of 63,319
- Let's assume 65% of that crowd were Hawks fans
- Let's now assume 70% of Hawks fans, were booing Goodes
- That's approx 28,000 - 30,000 people booing Goodes

No doubt that there was a percentage of people booing for the wrong reasons - and I believe we all agree that those people can **** right off. I think one of the biggest reasons Goodes got booed is down to pack mentality and the fact that it psyched a very good player out of the game.

The other point of view to be considered is that Sydney were booing their own player. Jeff Kennett likes this theory.
But the fact remains Horse came out and felt it was racist. As soon as that happened it should have stopped. Instead everyone amplified it.

Don't really understand the uproar about booing. The booing wasn't individualised for Scott Pendlebury. Would of been the same scenario if Callum Brown won the medal. The booing was directed at the umpires, and clearly fans were going to be salty losing by 4 points. So seeing Pendlebury win the medal fueled the crowd. But so ******* what? Can guarantee to you, if Essendon won, us Collingwood fans would be booing as well. This game is for the fans. We should be allowed to show emotion as long as it does not cross the line (e.g. racial remarks). Seriously can't believe how soft this game is becoming. What do the PC brigade want? We'll probably be forced to shake hands with opposition fans after games soon. In cricket, some of the bigger Indian players like Tendulkar/Dhoni have their houses stoned by fans after they lose a game. Here we are worrying about some noise being made in the crowd. I thought it all just adds to the theatre, as does cheering!

The sad thing is, this PC controversy hijacks the real beauty of today in paying respect to the Anzacs. Also shouldn't the main talking point be about the umpiring? Was atrocious today for both clubs. So many suspect decisions. The AFL tomorrow will send some corporate media clown and try and justify every single incorrect decision since they can never be wrong.

Anyway, was still a great day and a bloody ripping game. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Good to see one of you has a brain

I don’t remember west coast pissing and moaning when you guys booed Luke Shuey when he got the norm smith?

Buckley’s a hypocritical w***er who makes s**t an issue when it isn’t. He better damn well call it out next time you guys do it. He didn’t say s**t in round 3 for dom sheed.

Ive changed my mind, everyone should stop booing purely because every time someone gets booed the resulting conversation turns into how Adam Goodes got booed. This is about Pendlebury getting booed dammit, and last week it was Ablett. On the weekend the whole Bulldogs team will get booed, which won't actually get talked about.

Ive changed my mind, everyone should stop booing purely because every time someone gets booed the resulting conversation turns into how Adam Goodes got booed. This is about Pendlebury getting booed dammit, and last week it was Ablett. On the weekend the whole Bulldogs team will get booed, which won't actually get talked about.

people who pay their entrance fee have every right too boo.

As long as they are not abusive or racist who the * cares? The only ones making this into an issue and the media and that hypocrite buckley.

people who pay their entrance fee have every right too boo.

As long as they are not abusive or racist who the **** cares? The only ones making this into an issue and the media and that hypocrite buckley.
The look on Pendles face was pretty hard to watch, even as an opposition supporter - he genuinely looked uneasy. I expect Bucks wanted to defend his captain, which I can respect.

That said, when he later said that he would tell his own fans off, well he's just full of s**t there.

The look on Pendles face was pretty hard to watch, even as an opposition supporter - he genuinely looked uneasy. I expect Bucks wanted to defend his captain, which I can respect.

That said, when he later said that he would tell his own fans off, well he's just full of s**t there.

no issues with Buckley defending pendlebury

but if hes going to grandstand the issue then he needs to call out is own shitful supporters doing it.

2018 GF Collingwood Boo Luke Shuey getting Norm Smith - Buckley Slient
Round 1 Collingwood Boo Ablett- Buckley Silent
Round 4 Collingwood Boo Dom Sheed + Gaff - Buckley Slient
Round 6 Essendon Boom umpires and carry on into Pendles - Buckley Grandstands

So, at the very least it was culturally insensitive. If you know it’s being perceived as racism then you’re contributing to the flaming of that perception by becoming a part of a mob that no doubt included racist opportunists.
If a comparison is to be made between Pendlebury and Goodes as to whether booing is justified (and I don't think that any players should be booed except in the heat of the game) then it is not the reason for the booing that is relevant (umpiring/staging v racism) but the effect on the player, regardless of the reason for the booing.

Goodes should not have been routinely booed, especially after it was known that the booing was affecting his mental health (and therefore his job). Deciding to routinely boo Pendles is bullying. If it adversely affects his game it's shooting all football fans in the foot. We want good players to play well, whether they play for or against us.

Years ago I took my then 10 year old nephew to the HK 7's where it is a tradition for the Australian team to be booed. It has no effect on people who knew and were expecting it but my nephew was terribly hurt by it.

Bullying can be worthwhile if it stops a bad behaviour. I bullied a bully at school and he went into his shell; it made the lives of heaps of other students better even if he stopped enjoying himself (and maybe even made him a better person in the long run).

It’s a dangerous line of thinking, this, but it doesn’t make it untrue. I don’t recommend bullying, as it’s a slippery slope to chaos, yet it can sometimes be useful. Bullying cheaters in sport might have macro, long-term benefits or it could also backfire. Booers should consider this.

Being there and sitting in an area which was 99% Essendon members the feeling was more about the umpires than anything else. It started as the umpires where going off and pretty much continued. In the area I was sitting there was no actual words against Pendlebury just supporters booing at what they thought where very poor decisions and an injustice in a close game. I never heard any of our supporters calling Pendles a campaigner or cheat or anything like that.

I have never booed anyone at a game. It is not my thing but IMO it was clearly frustration at what they thought was very poor umpiring and Pendlebury being the recipient of one free kick from a very clear duck was fresh in the memory.

I don’t remember west coast pissing and moaning when you guys booed Luke Shuey when he got the norm smith?

Buckley’s a hypocritical w***er who makes s**t an issue when it isn’t. He better damn well call it out next time you guys do it. He didn’t say s**t in round 3 for dom sheed.

Aren't we all? No point signalling out Buckley, we're a PC society now. I didn't watch it but heard Mark Robinson said he lost faith in humanity after Pendles got booed. Last Sunday, 300 people died in Sri Lanka. But people have lost faith in humanity because of noise being made in the crowd. Get a grip!

I think Bucks did what any coach would do. He gets on the ground and he thinks the boooing was directed at Pendlebury. If you read his comments after the game it is about what you would expect in the same way we supported Jobe when he was getting it every week.

Being there and sitting in an area which was 99% Essendon members the feeling was more about the umpires than anything else. It started as the umpires where going off and pretty much continued. In the area I was sitting there was no actual words against Pendlebury just supporters booing at what they thought where very poor decisions and an injustice in a close game. I never heard any of our supporters calling Pendles a campaigner or cheat or anything like that.

I have never booed anyone at a game. It is not my thing but IMO it was clearly frustration at what they thought was very poor umpiring and Pendlebury being the recipient of one free kick from a very clear duck was fresh in the memory.

I had the exact same experience sitting with other Essendon members. There was chatter among EFC fans soon afterwards and upon heading out about the terrible and inconsistent umpiring decisions, nothing more. There was also the reaction to the Colingwood chant as well which exacerbated matters. Looking back the reaction was pretty loud, have never heard something like that after a game in my decades as a member. Overall can see whay people were frustrated and angry, but not exactly great timing.

Not surprised at all to see the resident nuff brigade and story-hungry media twist it into a story to push their own narratives.

The Easter Bunny could've been up there and it would've been booed!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2009 or whenever that was, sure. Let’s not pretend the 2013-15 stuff didn’t take on a whole other dimension though. It became targeted and weekly, no matter how Goodes played or whether he sniped or not.

It was ugly and deserved to be called out as such.

I booed Goodes because when everyone else in the industry had a lot of sympathy for what our players were going through he called their integrity into question. BOOOOOOO

The History of Booing

The combination of booing and applause help keep the quality of public performance high, by emotionally rewarding the good and punishing the bad.

Webster Definition-

Function: verb
intransitive verb : to deride especially by uttering a prolonged boo
transitive verb : to express disapproval of by booing <the crowd booed the referee>

Booing is the act of showing displeasure for someone or something, generally an entertainer, athlete or politician. by loudly yelling "boo" (holding the "oo" sound) or making other noises of disparagement, such as animal noises, usually the sound of a donkey. The sound is often accompanied with one or two hands giving the thumbs down sign. If spectators particularly dislike the performance they may also accompany booing by throwing objects onstage, though the objects aren't usually meant to physically hurt the performer.

Booing performers has a very long history, The first written record comes from ancient Greece where playwrights competed to determine whose tragedy was the best.

Four times a year, the Athenians would gather together to worship at large festivals. Here, the Greeks would sing and dance and revel in a state of madness, Large amounts of wine would be consumed. Audience participation came to be regarded as a civic duty. The audience applauded to show its approval and shouted and whistled to show displeasure.

Gladiatorial games were introduced to Rome in 264 BC, Audience participation often determined whether a competitor lived or died. The crowd decided by booing or cheering the wounded gladiator.

While people have expressed displeasure publicly since ancient times, the English word boo was first used in the early 19th century to describe the lowing sound that cattle make. Later in the 1800s, the word came to be used to describe the disapproving cry of crowds.

Hoot, another onomatopoeic English word, was used as early as 1225 to describe the same phenomenon. (Ancient Greek and Latin both contain words resembling boo that mean "to cry or shout aloud," though there is no known etymological connection to the modern English word.). The BOOing and crowd behavior in some instances extended to hissing, groaning, hooting and pelting with objects, often rotten vegetables or fruit but sometimes stones as well.

Since the beginning of organized sports BOOing has been part of the behavior of fans. Entertainment events also are where BOOing has been an acceptable form of audience response to a poor performance.

The combination of booing and applause help keep the quality of public performance high, by emotionally rewarding the good and punishing the bad.

Highs cannot exist without lows - balance.

But sure, lets erase thousands of years of human tradition because people learnt that being offended can profit

I’m genuinely cynical enough about some of the bacteria who inhabit the football media to believe that they whip up all these stories about it as a means to an end to create more stories.

They know that the more they write and wring their hands about it, the more likely it is that people en masse will react by booing more. We saw that effect with Goodes.

So on the one hand they will tell everyone over and over how wrong it is; while actually hoping that it becomes a bigger and bigger thing so they can write more stories.

Eddie had the gall to say we were so uptight that we were going to boo anything and after time to reflect we probably would reconsider - that's fair enough

But I reckon if Buckley had his time again, and wasn't in the heat of the moment he would take back what he said also...but no, he was statesmanlike

Blood is pumping, people are furious at the result, yet people are shocked when they let emotion get the better of them.
This shows a pretty good grasp of the situation.

However, in Gameday threads, you've always been very scathing of booing fans from other clubs. You're quite happy to stick the boot in and describe them as morons, idiots, knuckle draggers, peanuts, muppets, ferals, dregs, flogs, mindless drones, dense bricks, utter filth, scumbags, pieces of s**t, classless, cluleless, brainless, disgraceful, pathetic, ridiculous, disappointing, showing poor form, etc...

The reality is they are no better & no worse than the Essendon mob when their blood is pumping and they're furious

It would be good if EVERYONE got off their high horses and stopped sticking the boot into passionate, vocal footy fans. We don't all switch our emotions off once the final siren sounds and say "Oh well, never mind." We don't all bow down to worship opposition superstars when they're tearing our team a new a-hole or staging for free kicks. We don't all forgive the mercenaries who quit our club to play for another. We don't all watch games with both eyes wide open and applaud contentious umpiring decisions.

We've all been to games when the atmosphere is very sterile and people sit there like stunned mullets and barely make a sound. We've also been to games when emotions are running high and the crowd is really into it. I know which I prefer. God knows why judgmental people wanna look down their noses at others and tell them to be quiet.

It's the FOOTY, for f**k's sake... It's not a funeral service.

Shame on any stuck-up flog who makes a living from AFL football and criticises the diehard footy fans whose passion fuels the AFL and keeps our weird little game relevant and economically-viable in the year 2019

Last edited:
Eddie had the gall to say we were so uptight that we were going to boo anything and after time to reflect we probably would reconsider - that's fair enough

But I reckon if Buckley had his time again, and wasn't in the heat of the moment he would take back what he said also...but no, he was statesmanlike
Buckley shocked the supporters and the boos stopped. They tried to start up again and were drowned out by the Ponsford stand slow chant. It'll be a proud moment pie fans remember for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back