Updated The Bruce Lehrmann Trials * Justice Lee - "Mr Lehrmann raped Ms Higgins."

How long will the jury be out for?

• Back the same afternoon

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • One day

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Two days

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Three to five days

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Over a week

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historical Rape Allegation Against Fmr AG Christian Porter
The Alexander Matters matters

Just a reminder, this is the crime board and we need to be aware that there will be victims of crime either watching this thread or engaging in here from time to time. A degree of respect in all discussions is expected.

LINK TO TIMELINE
CJS INQUIRY
FINAL REPORT – BOARD OF INQUIRY – CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
Joint media statement – Chief Minister and Attorney-General

LINK TO FEDERAL COURT DEFAMATION PROCEEDINGS

Last edited:
Disgusting that Brittany had to go through such trauma to get a modicum of justice while being relentlessly attacked by the Murdoch ghouls.

As for the rapist so satisfying that his own hubris and entitlement brought him undone.

Thats if he gets the chance, predators like bruce are creatures of habit and I'm sure there are a lot of women realising now that after being out with him and waking up the next day with NFI what happened last night are considering going to the police

For News Corp’s sins, they didn’t miss the opportunity.

1713236548357.png

The same 'rapist and loser' NewsCorp paid $295k to settle with?

And the Australian's Janet Albrechtsen spent months defending with front page headlines and cosy chats with disgraced judge Wally Sofronoff?

the Australian's Janet Albrechtsen
On Lehrmann Albrechtsen penned another very long article today that as expected ended up focusing on Higgins and her $2.4m payment, but that appears to make it look like that she thinks that Lehrmann made a mistake in going down the defamation path like he did.

'JANET ALBRECHTSEN
Justice Michael Lee puts all parties in their place

10:00AM APRIL 16, 2024
Lehrmann is the biggest loser. He gambled big and lost the most. As Lee said: “Having escaped the lion’s den, Mr Lehrmann made the mistake of coming back for his hat.”

The criminal trial was aborted; there were no findings against him. ACT Director of Public Prosecutions Shane Drumgold decided against a second trial.

Lehrmann could have walked away. There would be damning findings against the chief prosecutor for misconduct during that trial. But now a judge has found – on the civil standard of proof – that Lehrmann raped Higgins.
...'

Bruce Lehrmann had his life upturned by Brittany Higgins’ rape allegation. He is currently a law student and is eagerly awaiting this Thursday’s news regarding his defamation

Lol

I guess now they have to edit it to say his life was upturned by raping Brittany Higgins' ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Lehrmann Albrechtsen penned another very long article today that as expected ended up focusing on Higgins and her $2.4m payment, but that appears to make it look like that she thinks that Lehrmann made a mistake in going down the defamation path like he did.

Very long is an understatement! She covered every issue under the sun on the matter and Higgins' payout was a measly 4 sentences.

The process of Higgins' payout certainly needs looking at. The end doesn't justify the means. A payout based via a trial by media that was untested by either the journalists or the government, is holly inadequate when forking over such a sum of taxpayers money.

Very long is an understatement! She covered every issue under the sun on the matter and Higgins' payout was a measly 4 sentences.

The process of Higgins' payout certainly needs looking at. The end doesn't justify the means. A payout based via a trial by media that was untested by either the journalists or the government, is holly inadequate when forking over such a sum of taxpayers money.

Higgins was raped in the Minister for Defence's office.

We're probably lucky she didn't ask for $5m because as I've posted in here before that she would get a bit less than what she asked for. She could have got $4m.

Pls no-one laugh at the below.

'Bruce Lehrmann flees to police station, pulls out of innocence conference following rape judgment

EXCLUSIVE
By LIAM MENDES
and ELLIE DUDLEY
UPDATED 2:37PM APRIL 16, 2024, FIRST PUBLISHED AT 11:22AM APRIL 16, 2024

Bruce Lehrmann sought refuge in a regional police station after a Federal Court judge found he raped Brittany Higgins in Parliament House

With freelance photographers following him, Mr Lehrmann drove up Sydney’s M1 motorway and abandoned the car in a No Stopping zone outside the Gosford police station.

Sources have told The Australian the 28-year-old sought the protection of officers at the station, who then drove him to an undisclosed location due to the fears for his safety.

One person who witnessed Lehrmann entering the station joked they “thought he was handing himself in after being declared a rapist”.

“I thought that he had a change of heart,” they said with a laugh.
In a statement, an NSW police spokesperson said the matter was not subject of a criminal investigation.
[freelance photographers alleged harassment of Lehrmann I presume]

“A report was made at Gosford police station yesterday (Monday 15 April 2024); however, as the matter is not subject of a criminal investigation, no further information is available,” the spokesperson said.'

Higgins was raped in the Minister for Defence's office.

We're probably lucky she didn't ask for $5m because as I've posted in here before that she would get a bit less than what she asked for. She could have got $4m.
Yep.

Well now that a court has found that Lehrmann did rape Ms Higgins in the Parliamentary Office of Senator Reynolds, the financial settlement made by the government with Ms Higgins looks to be on the low side and one that protected the taxpayers interests. And I assume/hope that possible future legal determination on whether a rape occurred was part of the legal advice that led to the financial settlement in the first place.

HOWEVER, that said I think there is a need for transparency when it comes to the expenditure of taxpayers money. And while I understand the need for some personal privacy over the details of the settlement given its nature (as well as the need to avoid setting. precedent for future settlements) I think the government could have avoided a lot of unnecessary political flack (and spared Ms Higgins some unwanted personal attacks) if the rationale for the payout had been publicly explained in Parliament, with segments of the legal advice released in support.

Well now that a court has found that Lehrmann did rape Ms Higgins in the Parliamentary Office of Senator Reynolds, the financial settlement made by the government with Ms Higgins looks to be on the low side and one that protected the taxpayers interests.
I too think that Higgins should be entitled to even more $ from her employer, than what she has already been awarded.

Hopefully there was a clause in the payout docs that provided for additional $ to Higgins should she ever win a criminal or civil law suit against him or a defamation case by Lehrmann result in him being judged (in a civil or future criminal case) to have raped her at PH that night (criminal or civil judgement).

Since it was a workplace assault its obvious now that the govt of the day believed her

I too think that Higgins should be entitled to even more $ from her employer, than what she has already been awarded.

Hopefully there was a clause in the payout docs that provided for additional $ to Higgins should she ever win a criminal or civil law suit against him or a defamation case by Lehrmann result in him being judged (in a civil or future criminal case) to have raped her at PH that night (criminal or civil judgement).
Far from me to talk about what is best for a rape victim who has been through hell and back.

But I sincerely think the best thing for Ms Higgins is to walk away from this now and get on with her life away from the public eye. Her rapist has been publicly exposed and humiliated - something that history shows is very rare in Australian criminal trials involving the rape of a woman.

It's hard to talk about justice given the events of the past few years but this is as close to real 'justice' (in a literal vs legal sense) as any rape victim gets in Australia. Even given the poor decision choices made subsequently by Ms Higgins herself.

Hopefully a zero cost settlement with Senator Reynolds is reached somehow as part of allowing her to move on.

Hopefully a zero cost settlement with Senator Reynolds is reached somehow as part of her moving on.
And if there is a defamation payout awarded to Reynolds against Sharaz and/or Higgins, hopefully either the Federal Government, or someone wealthy like Kerry Stokes or Bruce McWilliams will step up and cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back